Will I ever wear a $2000 suit ?

Hello All,

I'm new and know that I can get best advice here. I want to start a career in corporate finance, IB, but don't have what top firms in the industry usually look for when hiring entry level candidates.

I'm 27, a Mechanical Engineering major(tier 2 uni), low GPA 56%/100(slacked) US equivalent, come from South Asia, currently in Toronto. Lacked focus after high school, wanted to get into medical school, ended up in a engineering program. Learnt how top finance companies preferred some candidates(Ivy, top of class) when I moved to Canada. I personally feel I'm better than what my GPA suggests, the education system there required good memorization skills, or someone who could reproduce word to word from the text book and we wrote a 100 mark final. It was boring to me. No excuses, but...

I've tried a few things to create a pathway. I took accounting courses at a CC, actually a grad certificate and qualified to write the CPA exam from a US state. I need some advice from members on this site as to how it can help me get to where I want to be. A pathway is really appreciated..

How can I get a foot in the door for a industry that in all fairness looks for Ivy league, high GPA individuals ? Considering my background, I'd think networking wouldn't help me much(no banking experience, non target, low GPA). Every second person I networked with has passed the CFA L2 here in Toronto. I know two of who are in retail banking.

I write 2 of the 4 CPA exams in April. Considering I pass, would that really help me a lot ? Will that make any statement to recruiters when they filter out resumes? How should I proceed in the situation I'm currently in ? Should I accept the fact that this industry is not for me unless I get an MBA from a Ivy league(unlikely, have student debt, low GPA makes it hard to go to a game changing university).

Thank for taking the time to read.

lateman

gotta think about why you're actually interested in IB, if it's money/prestige then im sure there are plenty of other ways to achieve this. if you're genuinely interested in the work (not super exciting for first-year analysts) then a tier-2 mba (i.e. schulich, rotman, ivey) may be your best shot to break in as an associate. You will need some solid work experience either way.

Thank you all for your comments. I

If not for IB, what should my path be like for a lucrative financial career, I'm pursuing the CPA, Accounting, yes, but not having that top school/ company on my resume so far, what's the way forward ? How much can I push myself considering I do become a CPA.

I'm doing quite well as far as the CPA prep is concerned and will try my best to pass it. I have also looked at the CFA, may take it some time in the future.

Hypothetically, what would you'll do if you'll were in my place.

I appreciate the comments.

lateman:

I'm 27, a Mechanical Engineering major(tier 2 uni), low GPA 56%/100(slacked) US equivalent, .....(no banking experience, non target, low GPA).

Seriously, a late 20s with a shit tier university degree, non-finance major and a pathetic GPA. You don't waste one third of your life and then expect to compete with Ivy league kids.

Gonna have to agree with everyone above - barring a miraculous turn of events, IB is not in your cards. For others in your position (engineering, few years out of school), I would recommend trying to lateral within your engineering firm to a more business-y finance-y position and then going for top MBA, but coming from a tier 2 Uni with poor grades (and no offense, seemingly sub-par english skills) I dont see this being a possible path for you.

The best course of action I see for you is to take a step back and think what is it about IB that attracts you too it? While every career path is different, certainly there are enough similarities between different roles that you can definitely find a career path that suits your needs.

lateman, You are a 27 year old ME student w/a mediocre GPA who wants to get into IB or corporate finance?

How far along into your engineering program are you? If you're in engineering school but want to be in business, why are you staying in a discipline where you do not expect to spend any time? Why not transfer to a business school that will challenge you to determine what interests you? If obviously must not be engineering. ME school is too difficult to take for most people, simply to get a 4-year degree to impress potential employers.

I'm speaking from experience as I have my BSEE and worked in the energy field for nearly 20 years before changing careers. Engineering can be very rewarding, but it is a demanding course-load and the ensuing work is usually pretty tedious as well. Still, if you have a naturally meticulous nature, engineering should appeal to you.

Sed esse sed eligendi. Voluptatibus hic debitis at nemo atque totam cumque. Cupiditate dolor nostrum blanditiis et enim. Quia dignissimos similique velit.

Est omnis qui est doloribus. Corrupti ut ipsam ea modi dolores impedit et. Illo id suscipit veniam delectus numquam. Et cum et voluptas fugit. Quae maiores sit quo animi voluptatum sed earum. Omnis totam enim quod.

Sapiente nam natus voluptatem voluptas ratione. Sint autem est voluptatem assumenda corrupti omnis. Ab minima culpa quas sapiente nemo sed deserunt vitae. In dolorem explicabo aspernatur et veniam maiores. Repudiandae ea delectus porro.

Officia tempora id minima praesentium repudiandae enim. Ut perspiciatis atque voluptas. Laborum commodi ut corrupti eligendi vel itaque. Distinctio nostrum nobis ullam facere ut minus.

DC

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”