Will BB’s raise to $110k??

Since MS has raised to match GS on first year analyst salaries, has there been any discussion for a likewise increase at other BB’s? Don't get me wrong - I'm very grateful for everything the previous analysts and associates went through to raise base already, but seems like some of the other BBs should raise to match as well, no?

Region

Interns, don’t ever compare JPM with GS/MS. They shouldn’t even be in the same conversation. JPM’s approach to overworked junior bankers is to increase their already huge analyst class size by 1/3 (reason that you’re seeing tons of JPM analyst openings on LinkedIn). Rather than increased pay, each banker at JPM will get worked less (now with close to 170 analysts a class). Terrible thing for junior bankers’ exposure. GS and MS together have less than 130 bankers a class combined

Return offers should be fine.. the top guys want to increase the class size anyway. It’s just that the deal team will be gigantic (multiple analysts on the same deal). At GS/MS, you’ll be the only analyst on transactions

Most Helpful

Would just like to add a quick counterperspective here as a first year in coverage at JPM NYC. Your comment about increasing class size definitely has merit as there has been a strong move to hire laterals across industry groups, but I don't think that's necessarily unique to JPM but rather reflects an overall trend to try and increase analyst class sizes in an effort to reduce burnout and increase retention. That being said, JPM's head of banking outright said that the way to combat burnout is by hiring more people to distribute work more reasonably - something I think a lot of people here could agree is a good first step towards having a more reasonable work-life; I think a lot of people, myself included, would happily take a reduced bonus as a result of a better work life balance. So far it may be too early to tell for sure, but it seems like overall people are happier and have regained some semblance of normalcy and better WLB which is great to see (but could be entirely group dependent as some are definitely still sweaty af).

In regards to the intern's question above: as a first year analyst, I can say that although I have been staffed as a "junior analyst" on some projects and work under a more experienced second year, this has largely been done as an effort to help first-years ramp up, as we're largely a liability at this stage in our analyst careers. However, every second year analyst within my group is independently staffed as their own analyst on their projects. The only discrepancy here comes if you possibly include analysts within other functions of the bank (DCM, CFA, M&A, etc.), but from my understanding analysts within most any larger bank that is non-boutique sized will have the same experience between different coverage and product groups. Of course, this is just my perspective as a newly minted analyst so take my word w/ a grain of salt, but I personally don't feel as though my experience in terms of deal exposure has suffered in comparison to those of my first year peers at GS / MS (roommates, friends, etc.). 

Sure, there may be a slight "preftige discount" when it comes between GS / MS and JPM due to size, but at the end of the day I would say that going so far as to attack someone comparing JPM with the two is ridiculously elitist and contributes to why people have such a bad perception of finance or the type of people that work in the industry--

Whatever you decide or if there's anything you should take away from this, just be proud of your accomplishments and recognize that for every one elitist individual who tries to knock you down, there are thousands upon thousands of others who dream of being in your shoes being at a "top tier" investment bank 

As the other commenter mentioned, I think this is a move that several banks are making now after the huge backlash about terrible hours and work/life balance. More pay doesnt fix that, but more analysts does. I know in the email Moelis sent to their analysts they planned to increase class sizes

Reprehenderit quam cumque qui fugiat commodi eligendi est. Error aut assumenda eveniet consectetur necessitatibus quo iusto. Omnis omnis aut facere totam nulla assumenda voluptatem. Facere in fuga et voluptas vitae. Excepturi non dolores nihil.

Delectus voluptate suscipit sunt iure. Fugit sit doloremque ut alias quia possimus veritatis facere. Mollitia dolor non voluptate fuga modi facilis id. Vero et qui omnis sit tempora nisi et. Hic enim explicabo ut libero aliquid.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”