I rock brown sometimes, mostly with my lightest suits when it's warmer, the no brown in town thing doesn't really apply anymore unless you're suuuuuuper old school. I can see how in the south it doesn't really matter when you've got RE and big law hardos wearing seersucker. a tailored suit with tasteful brown shoes doesn't look out of place. in other climates where it's usually cloudy, I doubt you'll see too many bourbon colored wingtips in canary wharf

It took me a while to jump into browns for work, but working in Europe, you get quite dashing examples of fashionable and professional combination of neat (mostly plain and uni) suits and brown shoes, mostly from Italians/Spanish. Nowadays, i mostly go for brown, gray/blue uni suit, white/blue shirt, no tie, if the setting is not too formal. Caveat,, one needs to be mindful of the situation (meetings with certain investors/clients, regulators) and dress accordingly, but this applies to most situations in life and is not news.

Most Helpful
  1. patagonia vests (sorry finmeme accts). as a fratboy from the south, the popularity of these surprised me a great deal. I used to only see these at oyster roasts and hunting/conservation fundraisers, usually with a flannel or brooks brothers (the other BB) underneath

2. aggressive undercuts (super short on side, long on top, likely with enough pomade to give a katrina waterfowl PTSD)

3. highwater pants

4. talking about your loafers. I love the classic bit loafer and there's nothing wrong with a plain black pair, but when you start calling them DEAL SLEDS in a non-ironic way, I know you've likely never closed anything and are trying way too hard to fit in.

Seconded on the Patagonia vests. I don't get the ubiquity of these things. Everyone in my office got some free company swag at Thanksgiving, one item was a Patagonia vest - it is a piece of shit that ppl pay over $100 for.

I come from down in the valley, where mister when you're young, they bring you up to do like your daddy done

BBA18:
Seconded on the Patagonia vests. I don't get the ubiquity of these things. Everyone in my office got some free company swag at Thanksgiving, one item was a Patagonia vest - it is a piece of shit that ppl pay over $100 for.

Third the patagonia vests, they're f*cking everywhere. When did this even become a thing?

Get busy living

thebrofessor:
1. patagonia vests (sorry finmeme accts). as a fratboy from the south, the popularity of these surprised me a great deal. I used to only see these at oyster roasts and hunting/conservation fundraisers, usually with a flannel or brooks brothers (the other BB) underneath

Fratagonia vests are pretty standard in southern cities these days too

Commercial Real Estate Developer

That's what people in my office do since our thermostat is weird and there's a huge variance between it being cold and hot so you can easily take it off.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

thebrofessor:
in their defense, vests are a great cover up for man boobs and a distraction from the much hated FUPA

Damn, nearly spit coffee on my monitors... the truth can be funny!

While I generally wear low heels or flats to commute, there are definitely days when I go the Melanie Griffith "Working Girl" with sneakers when I want to run errands before work... not the best look for anyone, male or female, when you look pretty great from the ankles up, LOL.

These only work if it's very light blue and the tie is mellow, and it's done when NOT a busy time. Kind of a playful throwback to add some flavor. But that's it. This can't ever be taken seriously again. And for the love of god spread collar only but NOT the aggressive super cutaway.

The loud dark blue / brilliant white, with obnoxious power tool tie and point collar....yeah that look is DEAD. Right up there with peak lapel.

Get busy living

I don't like the sneakers-with-work-clothes thing in the morning. I get it, you want to walk to work comfortably. But you're supposedly smart, so find a way to do it without looking like a clown. Plenty of cheap rubber-sole dress shoes that will be comfortable and look normal.

They always look tacky, and the people that wear them are usually really lame and trying to come across as cool.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

seville:
People who don't match the color of their belt with shoes. Saw a guy in the office with black shoes and a light brown belt. It was like a sunlight from far away. Seriously?

That's not "finance fashion" that's "not knowing fashion at all"

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Controversial

The lack of jeans and sweatshirts.

I love dressing up in a suit but maybe only 5 or 6 times a year not every-single-day.

While I understand it is "corporate culture" to wear a suit in high finance I think it is ridiculous. Only the people who are talking to clients should be in suits. The monkeys in the office should be allowed to wear jeans and sweatshirts.

I understand I will get a bunch of monkey shit from people who have been brainwashed into believing they are important because they wear a suit. But so be it.

In my opinion, suits and formal wear in general help to enforce a certain culture and level of professionalism at work whether you're seeing clients or not.

By your same logic, why not take it a step further with sweatpants and pajamas to the office. Whatever is comfortable right?

Also, just as a side note. I've worn suits long enough that I feel just as comfortable in them as anything else. It grows on you after a while and doesn't feel stiff and formal anymore.

your opinion is really good as well but I suggest you check summer seasonal fashion at a ustradeent site there is very classy apparel on a very discounted price.

https://www.apparelshopusa.com

I think it's less of a brainwashing and more of a culture and psychology. John T Molloy (look him up) writes a column on this and specifically addresses business casual versus sloppy dress like hoodies and ripped jeans (google dress for success column).

if I can quickly summarize, if you want to be taken seriously (by clients, bosses, colleagues), you need to take yourself seriously, and that means your appearance. maybe for you that means wearing jeans and a t shirt that's a nice fabric, not too tight, not too loose, and def not wrinkled. maybe that means a suit, but whatever it means, it means you have to be neat.

many of my clients work at large tech companies and I find myself going to their offices on occasion. even the ones who wear untucked shirts, jeans, or even more casual are always dressed neatly.

until our psychology changes, I doubt I'm convincing someone to entrust me with $10mm if I've got a 3 day beard and jeans on.

Belts anything. Makes $180,000 a year, can’t afford to get pants tailored. Get that shit done, and stick to your workouts.

Suspenders get a pass though, for aesthetics only.

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - Time and Patience" (Leo Tolstoy)

What's interesting to me is how there is a direct relationship between the "appropriateness" of a given article of clothing and the degree to which that piece of clothing restricts and binds the wearer.

The most "appropriate" or professional ensemble is a wool suit (flat front, slim fit pants of course) with a cotton shirt, tie, and sleek, Italian / English dress shoes. The shirt and suit restrict movement of the shoulders and chest, the tight pants make deep, diaphragmatic breathing more difficult and compress the genitals, the tie applies a very slight blood choke to the neck, and the shoes bind the feet and make any movement other than standing or sitting more difficult.

Clothing becomes less appropriate and more casual as you ease the restrictions and bindings. Add some stretch to the shirt or suit and your ensemble is no longer appropriate for certain business meetings. Remove the suit jacket and tie and you get "business casual". Put on shoes you can move in and comfortable pants and you're now "casual," and probably not allowed into the office.

Funny how it works that way.

The need to be clean-shaven in lower level positions. It obviously varies from group to group but I don't think any man in 2019 should have to have a smooth babyface everyday. Stubble and short beards should be more acceptable.

That patagucci Intern / Analyst look.

Bonus points if: - Dull and worn loafers - Baggy chinos - Sloppy shirt that needs ironing

I'm also a firm believer that if you're young and gonna use bit-loafers in a business setting, at least go for some with a sleeker last. Those rounded and timeless 1953 Gucci loafers look decent on 60-year old dudes, but not on guy in their 20's in a office uniform.

Go for Gucci Jordaan, Ferragamo Benford, or similar styled loafers.

Pretty much everything.

I train for crossfit, and whenever I beef up my workout for like 2 weeks, none of my shirts, pants or even jacket would fit.

Hate dress shoes as well especially those with hard heels. How can you run in those whenever you have to?

Feel my rigid attire is a big productivity killer.

Never fails that in virtually every year's of summer interns/associates/analysts, you'll spot someone or several someones who've kept the design maker label on their suit sleeve and/or hasn't freed the jacket's back vent.

Also often see younger guys forgetting to free the vent on the back of their car coats/pea coats, etc., come fall and winter.

Similique aut placeat alias. Velit dolores labore sunt est consectetur eligendi aliquam illo. Non autem esse repellendus sapiente quod nam.

Tempore quisquam repudiandae sit exercitationem tenetur et. Optio nemo provident sed debitis maxime quia. Ullam cum nisi quod minima repudiandae provident.

Doloremque sed non omnis dolorem. Qui dignissimos ea dolor minima eius atque molestiae qui. Et est omnis deserunt iure adipisci nesciunt. Expedita et animi fugiat est. Molestiae rem necessitatibus consequuntur repellat.

My soul is highly leveraged

Aut et laudantium qui magnam incidunt dolore tenetur magnam. Sit magni eum enim error et sint. Vel accusantium harum sed dolor maiores soluta.

Dolorum ut rem dolorum sint et dolor neque. Ex aut nulla et perferendis. Asperiores enim et sed dicta consequuntur. Et sed animi cum quia ducimus ut laudantium. Culpa repellendus voluptatem dolorum deleniti non nihil cumque soluta. Illum sit explicabo tempore necessitatibus excepturi quas voluptas.

Id facere reiciendis assumenda est repellendus error magni. Ipsa commodi nisi ab. Doloremque quis deleniti rem non saepe dolor eius corrupti. Harum dignissimos aut qui ratione sint et. Sit voluptatem qui nam recusandae aut omnis eaque. Tempore quos explicabo in incidunt animi porro cupiditate.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Quia illo repellat itaque vel quas ea illo. Officiis omnis fugit quis dolorum at. Reiciendis eum quidem impedit ut eos earum consectetur. Iste est qui praesentium enim optio eius voluptate et. Et atque expedita aperiam earum dicta est porro necessitatibus. Rem ratione necessitatibus vero alias amet ab.

Non quo consequatur placeat debitis. Molestiae voluptatem est quibusdam rerum in aliquam unde. Ipsam sunt rem et odit necessitatibus expedita in. Reiciendis dolorum quas architecto in eligendi. Quia tenetur illum magni occaecati. Atque fuga voluptates voluptas ut enim.

Repudiandae deserunt laboriosam qui temporibus sint sint voluptatibus. Nemo incidunt assumenda ratione voluptatem. Consequatur est ut fugiat.

Molestias velit molestiae iusto occaecati. Repellendus quia nam laudantium repellat et nihil. Impedit quia distinctio quam voluptatem debitis aut ullam. Magnam suscipit explicabo sunt inventore. Distinctio officia porro dolores. Enim distinctio voluptatem et dicta. Et earum omnis aliquid earum vel et molestiae.

Voluptatem omnis id laborum cumque minus est non. Ea exercitationem a accusamus odit minima molestiae corporis fuga. Vero sit quo autem sint unde quia rerum optio.

Dolore possimus quas cum ipsam. Magnam vero quaerat exercitationem. Nisi rerum ut quaerat perspiciatis excepturi porro assumenda. Recusandae ab illum a ea reprehenderit amet est. Dignissimos nam perspiciatis sequi aliquid. Distinctio cum dolores enim ut debitis enim.

My soul is highly leveraged

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”