Would You Live in 400 sq ft If You Were Rich?

I moved into a 360 sq ft apartment after my first divorce. I laugh about it now, but at the time it was about the most depressing place I'd ever laid eyes on. Imagine a dorm room with less personality. In the gay section of town. Imagine living there because your wife cleaned you out and you're so broke that if it cost a nickel to take a shit you'd have to throw up (lesson learned: never keep duplicate confirmations of shady trades in a banker's box in the closet where your wife can find them). Now imagine being a multi-millionaire and living that way on purpose. Fire away, boys:

I'm kind of coming around to this way of thinking, although a less extreme version. I feel like I'm swimming in stuff and just want to throw most of it away. Not sure my wife is on the same page though.

PS -- Did that female reporter hit her head on something before the show? She asked some pretty stupid questions.

SirTradesaLot:
I'm kind of coming around to this way of thinking, although a less extreme version. I feel like I'm swimming in stuff and just want to throw most of it away. Not sure my wife is on the same page though.

PS -- Did that female reporter hit her head on something before the show? She asked some pretty stupid questions.

+1. Female reporter's questions were wtf.

SirTradesaLot:

Lordy, it was like she was in a totally different interview. The guest didn't even know how to respond, lol.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the post Eddie. This is something that has been on my mind a bit lately.

Yes, I would gladly live in a 400 sq ft place supposing I'm single.

Over the past few years, I've found myself downsizing my living space each time I move simply because I don't need that much space, and having more space lends itself to accumulating more junk.

Any place (within reason) can feel like a home if you make it one. I just need the basics - bed for sleeping, couch for relaxing, laptop/internet, and the obvious things in the kitchen. Sure it can make you feel a little stir crazy, but I'd rather be out exploring the world and living life than sitting in my place all day.

The drawbacks I'd say would be not being able to host guests are entertain, but that's not been a huge deal. Second, if I were married or had a family, I'd want a little more space just for the sake of my sanity.

Last thought...I'd rather have a small place in an urban area or perhaps a few small places in various places than I would one gigantic, over-the-top homestead somewhere.

Not if I was a millionaire, but I'd definitely do it if I didn't have my roommates (I'm a junior and single, which I think is quite important as well). I was lucky enough to know them since we were 13 years old, so living together is great and I pay less rent than someone living in a 400sq ft in London (rent is ridiculously expensive here, worse than NYC). Otherwise I would live in a small studio and save some money, all my friends who live by themselves are never at home except to sleep and use the bathroom, and some days not even that (they usually hang around at our place because there's 3 of us here or at a bar). They don't need a sofa, a tv or a kitchen, so why pay the extra rent when you are an analyst? Blow it on booze, gambling, traveling or whatever, you'll enjoy it way more. Plus, there are some really nice 400sq ft places, it's all about functionality and quality. Have a look at the studios in this building for example, I would gladly live there.... http://theheron.co.uk/the-apartments/galley-suite

[quote=Maximus Decimus Meridius]Plus, there are some really nice 400sq ft places, it's all about functionality and quality. Have a look at the studios in this building for example, I would gladly live there.... http://theheron.co.uk/the-apartments/galley-suite[/quote]

I would live in that galley suite in a heartbeat. The building is in a great, central location, and the floorplan makes it seem like the apartment is far bigger than 400 sq ft. Reminds me of the rooms at the Encore in LV, with a partition wall between the bedroom and living room and a single TV that spins to accommodate both.

I wouldnt have a problem with it though my wife would, i tried talking her into a single wide for $500/month while i go to grad school; that didn't fly so well.

I'd rather spend money on other things (bed = 6-8hours of my day, Chair = 10-12 hours of my day, car 1-2 hours of my day)

I do feel Vacations is something you do not skimp on to be cheap.

Thats nothing.

http://ispank.me/574-feel-the-romance-of-the-homeless-life-bum-hotel.ht…

"In Gothenburg, Sweden, weird hotel chain opened up and called itself Faktum Hotels. They provide extraordinary entertainment - the feel of homeless life. The cost for one night - $10."

Fucking swedes.

“...all truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.” - Schopenhauer

Lived in 450 sq feet all through college. Perfect place. Now I live in about 500 sq feet on the top floor with a 200 sq foot terrace outside, which meets all my needs and lets me entertain (outdoors so people can smoke and spill drinks and I just hose it down). Perfect place.

I'd rather live in a central location with just enough space to have a small get-together with 20 people every so often than in some ridiculous mansion. Although being on the top floor has major perks in terms of people leaving you alone.

I tend to out only on weekends, and like to do some entertaining of friends and what not more often, so for me I would prefer to spend the extra money on a place, because its not getting spent as much on going out.

400 square feet is a bit extreme but at the end of the day minimalism can be a good thing. It's tough to rationalize having 17 ferraris and 10 lambos.

With that said, it's not cool to be living in a 300sq foot apartment because you have to. If you are living in a smaller place because you want to that is really the goal.

Broke + tiny place = not impressive Billionaire + tiny place = still impressive because when you succeed at that level guess what you can do whatever you want because you Earned it.

Overall, with a billion dollars or something extreme, I would live in a large 1 bedroom, centrally located, and throw raging parties every weekend and load it to the brim full of alocohol and other party favors. I'd prefer convenience over items, ie: black car on call 24/7, freedom to randomly fly anywhere I wanted.

Overall, with a ton of cash you can become free floating and able to move and do whatever you want at any time of the day. Bogging down what you can do with liabilities like 700 car payments is not the goal.

With that said, if you make a huge stack, you can do whatever you want, you earned it and no one can tell you what to do. That's the real goal.

WallStreetPlayboys:
400 square feet is a bit extreme but at the end of the day minimalism can be a good thing. It's tough to rationalize having 17 ferraris and 10 lambos.

With that said, it's not cool to be living in a 300sq foot apartment because you have to. If you are living in a smaller place because you want to that is really the goal.

That shit w/ the dozens of cars and big gaudy house... so nouveau riche.

Living below your means and keeping things minimal otherwise is very zen.

“...all truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.” - Schopenhauer

Best Response

I'm conflicted on this one honestly. On one hand I know myself and after about a week I'd end up going stir crazy and wanting a slightly larger place. On the other, I only really sleep and well.. sleep at my place. So it isn't like I need a massive luxurious place to entertain people etc. I think it is a perfect setup for someone who is junior and doesn't want to deal with roommates or maybe even someone who wants a spot to crash in a ski town or something without dealing with renting etc constantly. Family? Not so much. Older? Probably not because I'd want more space to spread out (at least I think).

It's an alluring idea saying screw it and just having a 500 sqft apartment and a massive bank account with which to roll around and do whatever I want. I remember reading an article about a billionaire who essentially did that keeping only his private jet to fly around in. Not too shabby.

Problem is, I like the idea of minimalism far more than the actual practice of it. It's all about balance. Actually, screw it. Buy what you like and what makes you happy and damn whoever tries to tell you otherwise.

junkbondswap:
Eddie,

I know that you have touched upon the issue before but to what lengths have you gone to protect your assets before, during, and after your divorces? I know that forensic accounting throws a wrench in the whole process but interested to hear your perspective.

There is only one foolproof way to protect your assets in a divorce and that's to never get married in the first place. I'm not being facetious, I'm dead serious.

Failing that, you just need to strap in. If my wife decided to leave me today she'd get everything. Just like the two that came before her. The only thing I can really advise about a divorce is to give till it hurts to make her go away. Find a number high enough that she takes it and never sees you again. The last thing you want are ongoing monthly maintenance payments on a chassis some other guy is hammering dents into. Settle on a big number and never see or hear from her again.

If you have kids, you're just fucked on too many levels to count. Resign yourself to the miserable fate you allowed yourself to fall into and take comfort in the fact that you'll be dead someday.

There is only one foolproof way to protect your assets in a divorce and that's to never get married in the first place. I'm not being facetious, I'm dead serious.

Failing that, you just need to strap in. If my wife decided to leave me today she'd get everything. Just like the two that came before her. The only thing I can really advise about a divorce is to give till it hurts to make her go away. Find a number high enough that she takes it and never sees you again. The last thing you want are ongoing monthly maintenance payments on a chassis some other guy is hammering dents into. Settle on a big number and never see or hear from her again.

If you have kids, you're just fucked on too many levels to count. Resign yourself to the miserable fate you allowed yourself to fall into and take comfort in the fact that you'll be dead someday.

yeah, I've always imagined divorcing my wife, and some loser she marries afterwards spending all of my money.

Edmundo Braverman:
junkbondswap:
Eddie,

I know that you have touched upon the issue before but to what lengths have you gone to protect your assets before, during, and after your divorces? I know that forensic accounting throws a wrench in the whole process but interested to hear your perspective.

Epic.

I dream of a day when I can live minimally and walk to work.

I could absolutely live comfortably in 400 sq ft apartment... especially if the ceilings are high. I need room to eat, sleep, and space for my quiver... That's it.

"That dude is so haole, he don't even have any breath left."

I live very well in a 460 sq ft studio with my girlfriend. Never felt the need to pay extra for more space. I even have a friend, who is single, living in a 280 sq ft studio. Since his life revolves mostly around work, he is pretty content with the lower rent and the fact that he doesn't have to bare for roommates.

It's not really as bad as you may think.

atleastimnotabanker:
400 sq feet is not even that bad, i lived in a place half that big while studying in London.

Agree. The never ending rise of property prices and the willingness to actually pay the incredibly high rent 6-months up front for tiny places in London never ceases to amaze me.

oh man do I feel like a schmuck now...I live in a 425 sq ft studio by myself and to this day still don't have a table/desk yet because I want to conserve space. It's not even for me to save $; it costs $1300 a month to live here in LA.

However, after I moved in (about 4 months ago), I realized I'm more aware of the space around me. I don't keep as much stuff in my house anymore and try to live as minimally as possible (forced to). Because of this, I'm developing good habits to throw things out when they're no longer needed, and wash dishes as soon as I finish or else it just affects my whole place!

Anyways, food for thought. I can post pics if anyone's interested.

It is a HUGE difference living in a ~450 sq. ft luxury apartment with an engineered floor plan to optimize space in the heart of the city within pissing distance to everything you could ever need and renting a small place in an old building in a less desirable neighborhood. The latter will start too seem like a coffin sooner than you think.

I know my uncle in Hong Kong lives in a space like this and DOES NOT have the functionality. Some people only use it as a place to sleep and if they're not looking for more, 400 sq. ft. is enough.

I never understood this idea that more space = more junk. Just dont buy shit you don't need. If you replace something, throw out or sell the old one. It really makes no sense.

Also, the fuck you find me living in 400 square feet. I have had enough of living in tents in freezing/hot weather to last me a lifetime. I want me some space for activities.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

400 ft for one person is fine, certainly not great, but just okay. even if i were rich, i would make my apartment efficient like this one just to maximize what i can do in a confined space (ex. get a pool/dining table instead of just a pool table AND a dining table, etc etc)!

Quaerat voluptas autem accusantium cum quasi veniam. Omnis tempora beatae perspiciatis repellat aut quos. Qui eum ut quidem quas nesciunt. Voluptatem consequatur sequi dolore quia ea saepe. Molestiae quis molestiae veritatis facilis nisi magnam quibusdam. Quibusdam est fugiat autem illum eveniet. Aut dolores beatae nostrum laborum aut dolorem quis.

Quisquam sit ducimus nemo sunt facilis. Inventore ad fuga quia possimus magni voluptas. Consectetur veritatis et placeat dolores sit. Dolores facere sit qui atque et et soluta.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”