Would you pay $26.75 for a movie ticket?

Hey monkeys,

I just came across this article talking about the new movie, Dunkirk on Bloomberg and found it surprising that many people are willing to pay roughly four times the average cost of a movie ticket to watch a movie filmed with Imax's 70 millimeter cameras in specialized theaters. The 70mm cameras would give the movie a much higher resolution and would make it feel like...

virtual reality without the goggles

This site explains how differences between the six formats that the movie is being shown in.

Would you guys pay $26.75 for more visually-pleasing and detailed movie?

Best Response

Yea, for the right movie and experience.

When comparing movie prices now to when we were kids you have to realize its not actually the same experience. The major chains have spent significantly on capex to add recliner leather seating that also reduces the number of people who can fit into a theater. The production studios are spending more on imax/3d/70mm/etc. Movie budgets generally are higher (but there are less movies released each year.

Also, as an aside, Within the next 6-18 months you'll have "premium video on demand", which are movies as early as two weeks post release being available for streaming at home, for about 29.99 (if you have 2 people that actually saves you money) and estimates are that will cut into another 1/5th or so of exhibitor revenue. The movies viewing experience is changing. People will pay more but they'll do it less often for a more personalized experience.

It's always difficult to just say that this is ridiculous, but for the right movie, people are willing to pay that. When the latest Mad Max came out, I would've been willing to pay that much

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

As others have said, depends on the movie. I would pay that much to watch Interstellar again in IMAX. Having recently watched Dunkirk also (phenomenal movie btw), defo worth it. For something dumb like the emoji movie? Yeah ill pass, heck i wont even pay normal price to see that movie. Actually i dont think im going to watch it at all, even if it was free.

Depends on the movie.

Haven't watched Dunkirk yet and I have one of those IMAX 70MM screens about 15 mins from my apartment, I would pay the full price to watch it that way. After all, it's just for one movie.

Array

In all honesty, Dunkirk wasn't the best war movie at all.

1) No real hero you feel for (arguably a good thing actually compared to any other film) but instead a more indifferent feeling towards most characters 2) Lots of montage landscape scenes (of open ocean and shitty beach instead of gorgeous medieval and renaissance architecture) 3) Not showing the Germans makes the whole conflict very impersonal and makes it harder to empathize for the Brits 4) Barely any dialogue (not a bad thing per se, but little of what they actually said was profound save for a very few scenes)

IMAX was $14 when I went, $25+ would be absurd for Dunkirk in particular but something like Mad Max, I could see that.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

BubbaBanker:
In all honesty, Dunkirk wasn't the best war movie at all.

1) No real hero you feel for (arguably a good thing actually compared to any other film) but instead a more indifferent feeling towards most characters 2) Lots of montage landscape scenes (of open ocean and shitty beach instead of gorgeous medieval and renaissance architecture) 3) Not showing the Germans makes the whole conflict very impersonal and makes it harder to empathize for the Brits 4) Barely any dialogue (not a bad thing per se, but little of what they actually said was profound save for a very few scenes)

All of those things were positives, not negatives.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

I would have to disagree. A general indifference towards the characters in a movie, the lack of interesting dialogue, and lack of interesting backgrounds make a movie uninteresting. There were a couple good things about it, but overall it didn't have much rewatch value.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Lmao this is NOT four times the cost of a ticket. I come from the world'st most average suburb, and tickets cost about $11-12 for a regular movie. Here in NYC, an average ticket costs $20+ dollars (sometimes with fees). If anything, they're paying 6 more bucks on top of that, who gives a fck

"afford" is a relative term. my sister just bought a house with a movie theater and still wouldn't pay that ticket price. being in public is overrated

heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

To <abbr title=investment banking&#10;><abbr title=investment banking>IB</abbr></abbr> or not to IB:
Would you guys pay $26.75 for more visually-pleasing and detailed movie?

If some hot chick requested to go, I'd pay whatever.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Thats the way of the Jedi flopper Isaiah. Lol you must make them want to go with you and not the other way round.

Corp. Fin. Analyst currently working two finance jobs (and a teaching gig and trying to save my music production solo career). I love avocado's. And yes Cape Town is the most beautiful place in the world. Don't believe me, come thru and find out.

Njabulo Vincent-Hadebe:
Thats the way of the Jedi flopper Isaiah. Lol you must make them want to go with you and not the other way round.

I don't make chicks want to go with me to movies because I could care less about going to movies.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Nah I wouldn't pay for it because we all know its far to easy to get elsewhere for cheaper.

Corp. Fin. Analyst currently working two finance jobs (and a teaching gig and trying to save my music production solo career). I love avocado's. And yes Cape Town is the most beautiful place in the world. Don't believe me, come thru and find out.

I pay that much to see movies at iPic Theaters with my gf. Seats are paired up in pods and are lazy-boy style recliners. Also comes with a blanket, pillow, free popcorn, and a waiter hailed by the press of a button who you can order food and drinks from.

Array

With movie prices becoming so expensive, I'll only see a movie in theaters if viewing the movie on a big screen will enhance it's overall experience:

Exhibit A.) The movie has lots of action Exhibit B.) The movie has Great sound Affects and Suspense Exhibit C.) The movie has Mind Blowing Special Affects

If it's some political, life, romance, or drama movie (ie. all dialogue and plot twists). There is no need for me to see that movie on a f#cking 100ft+ screen... Why? So I can see their life choices unfold in technicolor? Screw that.

"A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself."

Et et aut tempore quia accusamus quia hic. Quia fugiat molestiae saepe et porro voluptatibus dolorem veniam. Dolores voluptatum quia repellat doloremque ut et. Cumque doloribus et eum fugiat doloribus.

Voluptatem unde esse quis dolores voluptatem. Expedita quo eveniet voluptate assumenda earum commodi unde. Non exercitationem neque est est aut. Recusandae fugit ea perspiciatis quam ad voluptas ratione inventore. Excepturi placeat quaerat quo quibusdam. Illo ipsum ut earum ducimus unde quia.

Quisquam consequatur ipsum hic asperiores. Asperiores voluptatibus dolores in numquam at dolores omnis. Et doloremque adipisci libero autem et. Eos harum consectetur sed quod corrupti quia. Aut beatae rerum sed est ad. Est et neque dolor sapiente. Numquam magnam iusto commodi sapiente harum voluptas. Omnis ad est earum voluptatum voluptas dignissimos.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”