WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (3/5-3/11)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Never, ever, ever, give up.
Post By @Anon1254"

When I graduated and realized that I did not want to become a doctor (and that I wanted to break into Private Equity), I wondered how someone majoring in Biology was going to break into PE and Investments from the get go? I cold called firms near my area but my success rate was zilch; I neither received any email responses nor call backs. To pay for my bills, I worked part-time as a Pharmacy Technician while working full time at a "factory" type Pharmacy from 3:30 pm until 11:00 pm. One day when I was on vacation with my family, my friend gave me a call and told me that his operations department was looking for people.

Yes, You Are Having a Quarter Life Crisis (and it's ok)
Post By @itsanumbersgame"

When I was 17, I decided I wanted to be an investment banker. I was told that investment bankers had the money, the power, the girls, and were masters of their own universe. Here is a timeline of my Quarter Life Crisis ("QLC") and feel free to finish the story.

Surviving on $60k in NYC?
Post By @FTMan"

Is it possible to survive in NYC on this salary and which area of NYC should I be looking to stay in order to maximize my value and not have all of my money being tied up in rental payments?

Hedge Fund Interview Guide BETA is LIVE!
Post By @WallStreetOasis.com"

For those of you waiting on the WSO hedge fund interview Guide, thank you for your patience -- it has been a long process to get to this stage. We are releasing the beta version today to the first 30 buyers. GET IT HERE.

Random Thoughts on the HF Industry
Post By @BlueWing"

Every time I see an article about a HF or HF index underperforming the S&P 500, I want to throw something at my monitor. If your hedge fund provides consistent positive returns throughout a market cycle, you are getting your money's worth. Stop complaining about relative performance.

Calculate Your Own Business School Ranking
Post By @Esuric"

University of Washington (Foster) has put out its own ranking calculator that allows you to determine which school is right for you. You may assign points to any of the 10 metrics (e.g. employment rates, research output, salary, alumni reach, ROI, etc.) and a total of 100 points can be assigned.

What happens to people who don't get offers?
Post By @southernstunna"

We always talk about getting into IB or MBB, so what would happen to the guys in business school who do not receive any offers? For instance, you see people who go "MBB or bust", but obviously MBB can only take so many. What fallbacks or industries can these people choose from? What do their salaries look like?

Should I keep following up from rejections?
Post By @Love_goldenretrievers"

I tried to network to land a summer internship at boutique firms. Should I continue following up and persuade these firms? Otherwise, should I go ahead and give them a call after a few days? Should I just move on and focus on other companies? Is there anything else I am missing?

Layoffs at Deloitte
Post By @marathon218"

I have been hearing stories of layoffs at Deloitte S&O's offices in Boston, Chicago and LA. The firm seems to be affected by "soft performance". Does anybody here (whether you have been affected) care to share more?

WSO in 2016?
Post By @WallStreetOasis.com"

How we can make WSO better? When you come onto the site, what do you wish you could see more of or less of?

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”