WTF do people in the IB division work 100 hours? What divisions in an investment bank might be a bit easier?

I'm guessing you guys works on the weekends too so you spend over 14 hours on work, SHOULD get 8 hours of sleep and then you have 2 hours left in your day?

Is every division in an investment bank like this? Talking about things like investment research, equities, FICC and what not.

Best Response

On my IB principal investment desk, 100+ hour work weeks usually happen when we're in deal execution, usually towards the end of the due diligence process when we're tying up DD and getting into heavy negotiation of deal terms.

At a senior VP level, you're handling several key workstreams

• Finishing up the due diligence - reviewing DD reports, asking questions, tying that DD issues back to mitigation (eg factor the issue into forecast modelling, look for protections in the warranties and indemnities in the deal documents, DD more around the issue to get comfortable with it), getting DD advisers to cover off issues they've missed, chasing legal opinions covering offer certain risks.

• Negotiating the deal - negotiation and SPA/SHA drafting sessions with the vendor/other shareholders/management takes up a lot of time. On top of that, reviewing each turn of the documents, discussing with internal and external legal. I could leave some of this to the lawyers, but I like to be thorough and I don't trust that lawyers are the best people to get commercial deal terms right.

• Negotiating the debt - we've got a debt team that covers this, but I still need to be involved to ensure they are not agreeing to a set of covenants or other terms which are too tight or don't match the structure/exit flexibility I need on the deal.

• Modelling - analysts/associates run the model, but I spend a lot of time running through the model, checking its logic, testing sensitivities.

• Structuring - deal with lawyers, tax advisers, accountants to structure the deal around tax, legal and accounting issues. Some deals are vanilla and easy. Others can be very difficult. Need to structure for the deal I'm doing today, plus the bolt on. merger and/or exit deal(s) that I may want to do in the future.

• Negotiating internally - preparing investment committee papers, regular briefings to the IC, occasional briefings to my IB's CEO (he likes to deep dive), dealing with other internal approvers. This is a parallel series of negotiation and briefings, getting all the people who have to approve the deal on board for the deal.

• Preparing the investment committee paper - typically 50 - 80 pages of briefing, analysis and risks/mitigants. Often gets bloated and have to spend a lot of time paring it back to a useful, concise summary of a complex deal.

• (on some deals) Dealing with selldown parties and coinvestors - can range from checking demand for present/future selldowns for quick flip deals, through to structuring and negotiating a consortium structure.

• People management - making sure that the analysts and associates are doing their jobs right, coaching and delegating. Also keeping the deal director on track and supported.

These are just some of the more important workstreams on a principal deal that I'll be handling for a single deal in execution. There are other workstreams that I've likely missed.

At the same time, I'll be:

• Do regular meet and greet/marketing meetings to build up future deal pipeline
  • Early stage deal evaluation on new deals coming into the pipeline
  • Keeping any eye on assets already on my book, including some which may be exiting

The last 12 months have been pretty quiet and there's only been on period of sustained execution work like this - about 5 straight weeks of 100+ hours each.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, post threads about how to do it on WSO.

The hours in research, equities, FICC, etc., are not the same, not nearly as bad as investment banking. For S&T roles it can vary from desk to desk, but usually you get in much earlier than banking (need to be in before the market opens), and leave much earlier as well, shouldn't be any super late nights, whereas in banking 11pm, midnight, and after, aren't uncommon.

The 100 hour weeks are not every week, and are primarily during high work times, (deal negotiation, earnings, times of ultra high vol, or periods of layoffs.) obviously these examples are for different parts of a bank.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Id quia expedita officia ut. Soluta et et molestiae autem.

Dolor porro velit suscipit distinctio non et est. Sit voluptatem est exercitationem porro incidunt aut hic. Numquam vel neque magni tenetur sit aut. Repellendus iure optio qui quo. Dolores ut quis dolor.

Et autem voluptas minus quia ratione libero. Sapiente vero et tempora aut dolor aliquid odio. Vitae qui esse exercitationem odit velit consectetur voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”