WUSTL MSF Class of 2018

Hey Guys,

I just got accepted into the MSF program at WUSTL and have a few questions for anyone who either recently got accepted into the program or anyone who is currently going through/ finished the program.

Where did you live?
Is it possible to land and complete an internship during the program?
Is there anything that I can be doing right now to help better myself with either the curriculum or recruitment?
Is there anything in general that you guys would suggest that I should do before the program starts?

Thanks!

Hi gothicwaffle..

congrats man.

My sibling is from that program and now works at a hedge fund (good work life balance and pay)...

Assuming you want to get into buy side or IM field, do CFA and get CFA I winter 2017.

most interviews are taking place @ 2018 feb/march and offers are being given during that timeframe...

so getting CFA 1 beforehand would be really nice to have.

Best Response

my sibling works at midwest and had other offer(s) from nyc but it was Asset Management... didn't like the culture & pay so decided to work for the midwest HF... found the opportunities via WUSTL's online career website and school network... and did not do IB pre MSF but did internship at HF and 1 yr FT at an international tech firm in a finance role. my sibling told me that work experience helped a lot but if you do not have direct relevant work exp. CFA is the best bet if you want to go to buy-side.. IB at WUSTL is certainly doable... but it is not that common and you have to network a lot! if you need more info, let me know.

hi I am a WUSTL MSF class of 2018 as well. wondering if there is any divergent in terms of placement between C-track/Q-track, US citizen/international students.

Thx, saw that stats already, decide to be cautiously optimistic, there might be some different insights from a person instead of those numbers. And also I think that class size inflated dramatically after those stats, so that's my main concern there. I am a Q track student. also international

641FKU:
hi I am a WUSTL MSF class of 2018 as well. wondering if there is any divergent in terms of placement between C-track/Q-track, US citizen/international students.

Well yes, the career paths are very different. That's obviously due in part to the very different curriculums but also because Quant track and Corpfin track students tend to intern at different places and therefore accumulate different skill sets. The Quant track students typically intern at RGA or NISA while Corpfin students intern at Butcher Joseph Hayes, Cultivation Capital, etc. Check LinkedIn for more specific data points. International's have to deal with Visa issues, so a decent portion of them get placed outside of the U.S.

Check LinkedIn for more specific data points.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

Just checked out these firms you mention, thx a lot for your input cuz i m really interested in info like these. My guess is the environment in terms of corporate culture/career opportunities/comp prospects in STL can be quite different from those of in places like NYC or Chicago.

I know there are difficulties like Visa issue such and such, but I am prepared to bite every opportunity i can lay my hands on. young and not afraid, but not sure which way to go. I am trying to map out a direction that I would like to go.

Great post~!

This post is only for banking -

Did not do the program personally but I was accepted and networked with a former WUSTL MSF Alumni in IB. Take this with a grain of salt (because this is now heresay) but he said the program didn't really do jack for him from a recruiting perspective. He went out and networked very hard to get his spot and said that the guys who expected it to be "easy" given the ranking of the program or sat on their hands and expected to get a great job were left holding an empty bag with only job offers they didn't like.

Hopefully this helps - just network early and aggressively and you should be set. Lastly, congrats since WUSTL's MSF is a great program.

Axe

This is true anywhere. You can't sit on your dick and expect the world to be handed to you. Also, people generally like to attribute success entirely to themselves rather than acknowledge contributions made by others. WUSTL's curriculum is really its strength. You actually learn a lot from the program. People will tell you that knowledge isn't important in finance, but that hasn't been my experience at all. Also in my year, 8 or so got IB out of a class of 30.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

Eos architecto nisi qui autem est. Aliquam quo voluptatem cumque autem. Rerum voluptatem excepturi animi adipisci autem temporibus.

Maiores dolorem ex quia enim eligendi quia voluptates. Non tenetur tempore at neque.

Reprehenderit minus possimus nihil nam. Neque in molestiae ut explicabo harum dolor libero. At doloribus amet minus dolorem et. Autem qui consequatur dolor quaerat porro nesciunt.

Architecto et dolorum repellat ex quae. Autem porro repellendus magni modi ducimus dicta aut et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”