XIRR less than 365 days? How to adjust?

XIRR by default is an annualized return. I thought I could de-annualize for period IRR to decrease with the extra month. Anybody know the best way to use XIRR correctly for this?

1/1/18: -$100
3/31/18: $200
((1+XIRR)^(120/365))-1 = ~101%

1/1/18 -$100
3/31/18: $200
4/30/18 $1
((1+XIRR)^(151/365))-1 = ~142%

Thats how you'd do it using the =IRR function. The IRR is the annualized return. The =XIRR function is intended for exactly what you're trying to accomplish. XIRR combines Cash Flows with uneven dates. It links Cash Flows with hard dates. Just add dates, whether real or hypothetical and you're there.... Any 2-minute YouTube video would show you this. XIRR=(CashFlows:CashFlows,Dates:Dates).

Nothing to it

Thanks. I'm taking verbatim out of NCREIF reporting manual:

Excel XIRR function - User inputs multiple cash flows along with the date that each cash flow occurs. - The periodicity of the cash flows is daily - Annualizes result. - No user adjustment needed if the holding period is greater than one year. If the holding period is less than a full year than the result must be de-annualized using the formula: (1 + Rate%) ^ (#days/365) — 1

If I were to run simple XIRR on this cash flow, I'd get the annualized return of 1,616%, but I want to be calculating the de-annulized return of 100% 1/1/18: -$100 3/31/18: $200

Your rate of return is 1,616%. The IRR function by default is annualized. The XIRR function was created for CFs with shorter durations or uneven timing of CFs. I'm unsure why NCREIF is suggesting to de-annualize your CFs? It's very hard to purchase a property for $1M then flip it in 3 months for $2M.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm checking with some folks more involved with fund reporting , will let you know what I learn.

The scenario was just an example for simple math demonstration though.

Intuitively it makes sense to me de-annualize when reporting returns. If you give me $100 in equity and 3 months later I told you that you made a 1,600% return, you might think I'm going to give you $1,500 in profit and be confused when I only give you $100. If I told you that you made 100% return, you'd probably only think you made $100 in profit, which is what I'm trying to convey.

Hi RE Dude, check out these resources:

No promises, but sometimes if we mention a user, they will share their wisdom: lanceng Marcitwithac Bogdan_G

You're welcome.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Adipisci corrupti iste eveniet sit. Excepturi amet ullam numquam autem a. Pariatur perspiciatis voluptates ipsum vitae.

Consequuntur minus dolorum aut numquam rem nostrum est ut. Nesciunt occaecati quia et rerum quo reiciendis vero et.

Officia impedit ea inventore natus libero veritatis praesentium. Sed dolore ut itaque voluptatem nesciunt aspernatur.

Eos sed mollitia et enim. Omnis placeat animi repellendus tempore est. Sapiente delectus aut qui veritatis omnis facilis. Quas eaque dolorem ipsam recusandae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”