I had my Superday about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard a definitive answer. I followed up with my HR contact last week saying that I had an exploding offer but their firm was my top choice. He just said that they would be able to get back to me early this week, so it's safe to say that I'm on a waitlist. The timing is tough since my other offer is set to expire at the end of this week, so I'm not sure when/if to reach back out to the firm I interviewed with if I still don't hear back. Would it be okay to say something along the lines of "I want to reiterate that your firm remains my top
28 Sep 2020
Hi! I'll be brief and please feel free to redirect me to the appropriate place if this is the wrong place. I have an offer at Firm #1. I have a final-round interview with Firm #2 on Friday. Firm #1 wants an answer BEFORE Friday, conveniently. Firm #1 does not know I'm applying to Firm #2. If I get Firm #2, I would likely take that offer (location). Both are MBB. The way I see it, below are my options. Please advise, any help at ALL is appreciated. Take Firm #1 offer and withdraw from Firm #2. Withdraw from Firm #1 and hope Firm #2 works out. Take Firm #1, renege if Firm #2 works out. Renege
16 Dec 2020
I've just went through a very tough interview process at a top BB - the hiring MD wants to call me tomorrow. I think that's a good sign, but am unsure... Any ideas? Additionally, I'm also recruiting for a top PE shop. If given the chance, I'd perhaps take the PE offer, but am afraid that if I receive an offer from the BB, it may expire before I finish the process at the PE shop. How should I respond to a (hopeful) offer given by the BB tomorrow? What would be a good strategy to let the MD know that I'm still super enthusiastic about the offer, but need some time to think? Any advice would be
14 Dec 2020
WSO, you've gotten me this far, now help me close this deal. I began my tenure as a lowly monkey about two and a half years ago, and you've all helped pull a non-target student-athlete up into the ranks. I'm sitting on an exploding offer to join the M&A team at a small boutique that will expire in five days. Once those five days are up, the firm will re-open recruiting to other candidates. The problem is, if I had until the end of the month, I would be able to finish my recruiting processes with three other firms, two of which I view as having a reasonable probability of being successful. I've
04 Oct 2018
Hey all, Just received an offer from a top MM investment bank, and the offer is in NYC. They gave me an offer expiring next Thursday, so have less than a week to make a decision. While I'm confident I want to do investment banking, I'm a bit hesitant about taking the offer for two reasons: Firstly, I am not confident in their exit opps after 2-3 years. While they have done well on the league tables (regularly top 5 MM bank for deal value as well as deal volume), it has been hard to gauge their relationship to PE firms/what the exits would look like. I am hesitant to give their name since they
19 May 2018
Had a superday with an elite boutique (think Moelis, Centerview, Gleacher). I told an interviewer that I have an exploding offer with Bear Stearns. During my interview, I also told her that I want to work for a boutique. Will it be suspicious that I'm in the process with a bulge bracket bank? Any advice would be much appreciated.
10 Nov 2017
Ok, so here's the deal. I applied to internships under a "beggars can't be choosers" mentality; I figured that if I could not land a FO gig, then I'd be grateful to get anything and hopefully move there later. However, this has now come back to (sort of) bite me. I have an exploding offer at Citadel ops, and my current job is corporate access (not sure if this is BO or MO??) at a boutique investment bank. The problem is that I have a bunch of front office interviews that have either passed and decision is pending, and many (S&T BBs, top AMs, non-BB S&T) that are upcoming. Can/should I use
29 Dec 2015
So I received an email this afternoon saying that an unpaid offer at a small MM firm's IBD office would expire at 5pm. I am currently waiting on a decision from a different MM firm's NYC office, for a paid ibd position. I emailed on Saturday but didn't hear back so I was forced to call this afternoon. Did I hurt my chances of getting the NYC job by sounding too pesky?
08 Apr 2013
Update - Should I negotiate the salary before verbal commit or afterwards when dealing with the contract details? So I have a 24 hour exploding offer. No other offers on the table, but I have a phone interview later this afternoon for a pretty decent financial analyst program. Pay and exit opps are def better in the program.. So I have a couple questions The BB regional office that offered wants me to start ASAP. The verbal offer happened just now and I have to get back to them by tomorrow 10am. How long does the written offer/background check etc. take? I'm confident I can get a final round within the analyst program, but I'm not sure if they would be able to even expedite the process that quickly. How late can you reneg? A day before the actual start date?
08 Jun 2012
Junior at a target. I have an exploding IBD offer with a BB (think CS/BAML/BarCap) in the NY office. Not my top choice, but would still be happy there. I'm interested in specific industry groups, and this BB is not tops for any of them. People are great, though, which makes me hesitant to decline. That, and there's no guarantee I will nail an offer with another bank... you never know what could happen in interviewing... Is there a point to rolling the dice and allowing the offer to expire, so I can go for the other BB's that I'm more interested in? What would you guys do?
09 Dec 2012
I have job offer in technology firm, a non-finance position related to my school work but waiting on a BB mid-office/Back office position. The BB contacted me to let them know if I can get an extension because they need time to decide.Granted my first choice is the BB position because it's just more exciting to me. How do I ask the tech firm for an extension? I interviewed with my future supervisor so how do I even go about this? The BB contacted me to let them know if I can get an extension. God, I don't want to lose an offer in this economy. Questions: What should I say? I have a number of interviews coming up and ideally i'd like an extension until Christmas. lol
06 Dec 2011
I am in a bit of a dilemma and need some urgent advice. I have received a full-time offer from a top Tier 3 bank (front office, pay is good) but am still waiting to hear back from another BB (Tier 1) bank. My first choice by far (reputation, people, culture) is the Tier 1 bank. However, I have an exploding offer (less than a week) and am not entirely sure whether I will be able to get an offer from my first choice in that time period, as I might still have to interview with different teams. I know the other bank likes me, but it's more of a question whether there is still a team out there that is looking for an analyst.
06 Mar 2011
I've sadly been put on a waitlist/hold-list at a BB after attending one of their first final rounds this year. I was told to wait until end of this month when they've held a few more final rounds (I know someone who has received an offer and someone who got rejected) I've been interviewing with small companies in the meantime and received a full-time offer which is going to expire very soon. It's not very related to what I want to do, but I am wondering if I can leverage this offer to get off the waitlist at the BB.
18 Jan 2012
I'm a sophomore with an exploding IBD offer from a mid-tier BB (think Citi/CS/DB). Should I take the offer, or decline it in hopes of getting an offer from a top-tier BB?
14 Jan 2012
So I just had a superday at JPM for their freshman/sophomore program yesterday, and on my way back, I received an exploding offer for a management consulting SA stint at a big 4. I have until Tuesday. How long does it take to find out after the superday? I understand that HR doesn't work weekends, but could I expect a response on Monday/Tuesday? Is it customary for me to email JPM about the exploding offer? As you probably can tell, I would take JPM over the big 4 opportunity in a heartbeat, I just don't want to be stuck with nothing. I also don't want them to rush into a 'no' answer if I was halfway down their list and could've gotten an offer if some people declined.
19 Feb 2011
I have an SA offer in investment banking from an international bank (think HSBC, BNP) in Singapore (I'm from there, but I'd rather be in NY), which I have to accept within the next 7 business days. The US application deadline for UBS investment banking and Morgan Stanley equity research is March 1. These two are internships I'd rather do than the one I have an offer for. Seeing as my track record with BBs isn't great (of 4 that came to campus I only got 1 interview, didn't get invited to superday; no success from online apps to the other 4) is it worth going for it (i.e. also declining the current offer? Or am I stupid to even try?
04 Feb 2013
Hey guys, Feeling pretty discouraged right now. Essentially, I interned at MM ibank in a regional city, received an exploding offer to go back FT. I ended up turning it down since I had networked quite a bit over the summer and had a couple (~5ish) final round interviews lined up with BB's, top boutiques and MM firms in the city where my family lives. I didn't want to renege out of fear of the potential consequences (couldn't get it extended). At this point, I am listed as first alternate for one of the banks, waiting to hear back from another, and turned down from the others. No offers (yet), and I am starting to feel pretty dumb about my decision haha. I have another couple interviews with solid boutique banks, but hopefully that alternate slot pans out.
21 Oct 2011
I will be interviewing with an Asset Manager soon and am also in talks with a few Investment Banks about potential interviews/offers. I really want to work in IB but this position would not be a bad way to start my career. I am fairly confident I could get an offer as an analyst but if I get the AM offer and can't expedite with other banking firms should I accept anyway? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, so would it be stupid to turn down a sure thing? Also, what kind of time frame should I expect after a super day to hear back/be expected to accept or decline? Thanks everyone for your help!
19 Oct 2011