Perspective from a target where almost everyone has jobs. Most people from my target got returns, but those who didn't FT recruiting and got something. One or two kids got unlucky and had to settle for big4 transaction advisory. Overall, people figured it out. The target network was very helpful to a few I know who had to FT recruit. There were also a lot of students who did lateral interviews for FT after getting a return which clouded the market for FT.

after a brutal cycle of recruiting, I ended up taking a REPE job with a 30% haircut. Not optimal, but its fine for the timebeing and will be focusing on leaving ASAP

I was one of those kids and know two others. Here’s the offers we ended up with (all started from nyc mm coverage ib)

• non-nyc MMIB
  • EB pca
  • F500 corp fin

Personally plan on lateraling and if we’re lucky the rate cuts will be underway by our 1 year mark. let’s see…

If someone is an adjacent finance role (PE/HF/etc.) in NYC, do you or anyone know how lateraling to the top banks works for fresh grads? Is it just on as needed, through your network? I'm only familiar with campus programs given I'm also a graduating senior (target). Not positive I want to pivot but may want to if I end up not liking investing.

Since I’m a senior im not totally sure myself but my plan is to keep my closest contacts warm on my intentions (already mentioned the idea to two of them) and when im getting to the 8-12 mo mark i’ll start tracking postings and cold reach out to those teams as soon as I see one

Most Helpful

Imagine ending it all because you can’t get a full time job in finance 💀

2 Million students graduate with college degree every year, and less than 1% get a job in high finance.

Swallow your pride, stop focusing on prestige, rankings, clout, high comp, and focus on getting a job and grinding your way up.

There are countless paths to investment banking, and as a non-target myself I’ve seen some crazy paths from big 4 accounting to evercore, no-name accounting to Moelis vp, and random wealth management to evercore to buyside now.

There is so much more to life than getting a job in investment banking, and frankly if you can’t handle the pressure of being unemployed for less than 1 year, in the toughest job market that has been in the last decade, frankly you were never cut for a job in finance anyway.

You’ve worked hard already, and I’m sure you are capable of it. Keep networking, grinding, and it will pay off.

Brother if you even walked a mile in my shoes you would be mortified. I’m fighting hell every single day to do what I got to do outside of school to make ends meet because I’m far away from home with a family member dead. This is my only way to vent and seek any sort of advice. I get what you mean but the way how you phrased this I bet MONEY you wouldn’t say this to me or anyone’s face because people like me are at our breaking point.

Complete non-target going to an EB. Networked probably 40 hours a week from Jan - July '23. One of the most rewarding moments of my life, but definitely got very lucky and feel for all of those still recruiting. 

In a similar position and am one day hoping that I can break in to EB(seems like a pipe dream now) but wanted to clarify did you recruit before the internship in 23?

I know you might know but curious if you know how to recruit for EB post grad? I have been emailing and trying my best but been hard to get people on the phone so any tips would be appreciated

Was at BofA REGL (didn’t get a return) last summer and landed a gig at a no-name FIG boutique. Super excited for what’s to come!

In velit praesentium qui non magni ducimus. Dolorum esse omnis cupiditate autem quo autem. Et molestias sit quis enim. Dolor qui minus fugit voluptatem. Aut aliquam maiores illum sit impedit non corrupti similique. Non earum accusamus praesentium voluptas tempora. Qui non optio modi repellat minus magnam voluptatum.

Suscipit ullam qui nemo eos sit repellendus. Consequatur non iure modi assumenda a eos. Neque nostrum aspernatur velit blanditiis officiis voluptate ut.

Qui deserunt ipsam delectus sequi consequatur incidunt. Et error officia perspiciatis non corporis dolores. Esse aut voluptates tenetur veritatis. Soluta quis maiores id aut aut. Eum perferendis cupiditate consequuntur quo. Qui eligendi vel consequatur aut veniam ea. Sit in doloremque illum dolores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”