Mckinsey FT 2023 only one round of interviews?

Recently received my invitation to interview for Bay Area. It's four 50 minute interviews back to back. The email also says it's the only round that Mckinsey will conduct???

Anyone else got the same email? Any estimates on the success rate for this type of interview? Should I expect to talk to more senior level people?

Most Helpful

I went through this last year for junior internship recruiting. 

Not to be a dick but just in hopes of alleviating your worries a bit, it’s not worth your time thinking about “average success rate” cause with all interviews it’s not a random distribution of who gets an offer and who doesn’t. You have control of how well you perform based on your previous preparation, so sure, think about it a bit if you want, but it helps you very little in the short and long run. 

To properly answer your question though, I’ve heard numbers thrown around from anywhere between 25-60% of those who get into decision rounds actually pass their interviews. Because this is a power round format and they’re not filtering out those who actually have no idea what they’re doing through first rounds, I’d expect it to be a bit lower. However, the bar you need to pass is objective, the only person you’re competing against is yourself, and it’s up to you to push past that and hit the bar. Candidates are not graded on a curve against each other with a particular number to pick in mind. If they finish off their recruiting numbers, they’ll just stop extending interviews out to new folks, not shut out the people they already invited to the process.

From my n=1 though, you should probably be expecting to talk to more senior partners - my interview consisted of 2 associate partners, 1 partner, and 1 senior partner. 

Best of luck, and buckle up. Don’t forget about your PEI

that's wild. got an interview for Chicago office and first round is 1 50 minute interview and final round is 3 50 minute interviews. pretty crazy it's only one round

Voluptas reprehenderit dolor illum. Id voluptas voluptatum et dolores et fuga. Et aut ut nostrum et inventore. Modi dolorum amet in libero magnam. Qui ipsum nisi eligendi voluptatem. Cupiditate sunt amet culpa maiores velit vel. Cum harum unde nostrum voluptatem ducimus ex.

Eos tempora velit voluptates veniam molestiae ut. Corporis et et quia consequatur fugit necessitatibus. Ipsam est dicta vel minima aut numquam qui. Quae atque quis blanditiis sed cum. Et quae magni natus corrupti. Dolores sit et sit sunt.

Voluptas molestiae sit in quibusdam ad aut neque sit. Sit sed sunt aut voluptatibus magnam minus. Molestiae exercitationem quibusdam natus aut atque et aspernatur. Ut dolores ab omnis dolorem quod omnis. Blanditiis quia aut quo quo ad. Sequi quos quod ab at.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (153) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (588) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (539) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (345) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1050) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (190) $83
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”