Should I Extend Undergrad by a Sem for SA 2020?

Long story short - I'm a junior at a West Coast target who got into the game pretty late. While most of SA 2019 recruiting was done by sophomore summer (I was in the first cohort when recruiting **really ** became out of hand), I only had my first 'proper' finance internship at the start of junior year and only figured out the industry then.

As a rising Senior, I'm considering extending my undergrad by a semester just so I can recruit for SA 2020 and get a shot into a BB. It's a little bit late, but not too late right now.

Should I do so? I have heard people say that SA recruiting mainly focuses on sophomores and juniors aren't given much attention. Does anyone have insights on this?
The alternative is to do FT recruiting straight after the summer, and I could possibly even graduate by 3.5 years. I'm out of state so any additional semester costs a bomb.

I'd appreciate any insight or advice!

What about taking a leave this upcoming semester and trying to find some sort of fall 2019 internship just to cut down on the costs of having to pay for 9 semesters?

How competitive are you for SA recruiting right now? Extending graduation is common, but if it'll cost a lot of money it should only be for a strong SA spot. If your GPA and extracurriculars are competitive and you have an internship set up for this summer, the extra semester would be well worth it. FT recruiting is hard if you're already not doing IB this summer.

My advice is to not say right off the bat that you're a junior though. Change your resume to "Class of 2021". If the application asks for exact dates or if someone asks if you're a junior, be honest, but don't advertise it. By graduation year you're technically a sophomore

Array

Thanks for the advice on positioning my resume - I think it makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't say I'm the most competitive, but I think I'm considered competitive enough - does that make sense? I expect being able to put 3.7 as my GPA, and i'll have a summer experience at an REPE shop by next semester.

Molestiae voluptatem excepturi maiores sunt enim. Aspernatur molestias sit deleniti neque. Quibusdam eveniet delectus esse sit et incidunt.

Quis maxime deleniti magnam earum quaerat magni recusandae. Hic molestias omnis rem sint dicta. Omnis est recusandae eum eum aut dolores. Sunt similique quaerat quia. Voluptatem ut enim tenetur beatae similique praesentium corporis expedita. Voluptas occaecati omnis accusamus.

Id doloribus reiciendis repellat unde odio et. Quae nesciunt cumque eius sit. Aut at possimus neque aut porro. Quos non doloribus eaque dolorum nemo veniam. Asperiores excepturi qui totam consequatur. Sunt velit id dolor illum suscipit. Saepe et distinctio non perspiciatis.

Placeat ut dolores doloremque quod. Temporibus optio distinctio qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”