When headhunters reach out, process should kick off soon (within the next 1-2 weeks). I would prepare for interviews if I were recruiting

Ask your friend to respond to CPI’s email and include you. That happened to a friend, his name and email were different. Total pain but HH seemed happy to get the intro.

The links CPI sends are individualized, but just have a 2nd year give you the CPI contact they interacted with and reach out directly. Completely ok to reach out directly.

The HHs who have reached out to me have been pretty clear in their intro emails that they don't plan on starting for 2023 summer yet but are just taking indications of interest and asking you to fill out profiles. That said, it only takes 1 person to start jumping and the others were surely start at least getting initial meetings in.

Yeah just for avoidance of doubt to those reading this thread for actual advice, it's totally normal not to have a closed transaction on your resume. Especially if it's M&A (as opposed to some type of capital markets transaction), these processes can often times be anywhere from 6-18 months long depending on the situation. And often those who have "closed" a deal in their first few months will have joined midway through an existing process and can only speak to certain portions of the transaction - which is also just fine but don't get it twisted and think that having no deals which have closed under your belt going into recruiting is a hinderance.

You can always put live deals on your resume under transaction experience as anonymized bullets such as: "$5B sell-side of a public life sciences company to a strategic acquirer (ongoing)" as long as you can eloquently speak to its dynamics / your role etc.

I went through the process without having closed anything. Listed a couple live deals I was on that were later stage so was easily able to go in depth about the business, process, etc. Pretty much said “expecting to sign in XYZ,” no one will ask you what you can’t tell anyways since they know it’s all confidential. Didn’t have any troubles, no one seemed to care or even ask about the fact that nothing was closed.

Will note that I believe hedge funds may ask you to only list closed deals, not even redacted info.

Most firms have made intros. Summer 2022 still on the radar. Don’t expect 2023 until summer at least

Don’t things usually kick off a week or two after initial registration email getting sent out?

Heard a couple PE firms reached out this morning, anyone else?

Lol this is when you realize firms are gonna start soon. Every year they introduce themselves as we are not starting

To give more context, some firms do this. They might get your info straight from the HH’s as well if you’ve already had your coffee chats with them… It isn’t a sign of the larger process kicking off IMMEDIATELY. It is a sign that it will kick off soon, but don’t take the coffee chats / “informal chats” to be an indicator of the process kicking off officially. I would, however, treat these “informal chats” / “coffee chats” as informational interviews (I went in with the mentality that they were interviews). I would be lying if I said they weren’t somewhat screening (definitely are screening in my opinion).

Have a question, if you started FT in January cause you graduated early, would you be recruiting for off cycle right now? Also have a friend who start off cycle in December. Do we recruit with the current AN1s who have been on the desk since September or so, or do we recruit with the class entering this summer? I'm a bit lost on this.

Can confirm Chicago PE has kicked off and multiple breakfast/dinner events with firms have taken place in the last 2 weeks. Was invited directly by firm via personal email.

Lol in typical GTCR fashion. They always have pre-interview events with 1 on 1 “coffee chats” that are effectively first round interviews.

Feel like Im at a pretty meh MM firm/group & I had every recruiting group reach out… normal? Or is my dashing good looks?

Pretty new to this. I had a few questions if anyone had any info:

1. For 2023 starts, when does that actually happen? Like is it flexible or does everyone start on a certain month? I've heard summer 2023 but thats about it
  2. In years past when have interviews started from first reach-outs? CPI's email materials imply there is time to prepare and some HHs have said they are not starting yet, so seems early but no idea on that one
  3. I know its super place specific, but generally is growth and MM down easier than MFs?
  4. Is there choice if say its a short timeline and you want to prepare more? Like any ding to being a 2024 on-cycle vs. now?

Thanks yall

Most Helpful

1. Not tuned into this year's process timing but generally for on-cycle, most funds will start at the same time. Usually one fund will kick off at some random time and literally everyone else will follow over the following couple weeks instantly.

2. Not sure about first reach outs but generally speaking you'll have already had a dialogue and profile set with all the HH firms and they will come to you out of the blue with first round opptys as they come up. So you have time to prep when you connect with the HHs but you are totally liable to be called to the interviews when recruiting kicks off - which is always a moving target. Keep in mind what I'm saying is for on-cycle recruiting. For off-cycle you'll get plenty of time to prep more as they'll give you the firm name ahead of time and you'll be notified of when your interviews are ahead of time as they'll be scheduled normally as opposed to ad hoc last minute.

3. Yes generally but as you noted, it is place specific. For example, in general, one can assume the Blackstone/Apollo/KKR etcs processes will be much more fast-paced and have a larger pool of candidates and often times their modeling tests are conducted impromptu and in person at moments notice for on-cycle. But many firms also do this which aren't MFs. And some people are better at the quick 1-3hr modeling + sometimes case test than say a growth firm which allows you 24 hours but gives you a crazy amount of data to parse through and needs you to build an operating model / complex cap table with all kinds of bells and whistles / provide a longer form case with more detail and thought required. It just depends, as you said.

4. Yes you have a choice. On-cycle is NOT the only option for you to get into PE. Plenty of funds don't recruit on-cycle and plenty of fund which do recruit on-cycle may recruit off-cycle due to hiring needs and the like, the most important thing is to keep your finger on the pulse with all the HHs and be proactive.

Hope this helps, happy to expand more on anything I said or provide more color.

Just pulling up to say good luck to everyone. On-cycle process is kinda trash and can be immensely stressful, but tell your story compellingly, remember that you are the asset in this equation (don’t just take an offer/interview if it’s not what you want to do), and go crush it.

I questioned everything while finishing a modeling test at 4am the night on-cycle kicked off, but ultimately pushed through and landed a great seat. Even if on-cycle doesn’t go as planned, tons of my friends got fantastic roles off-cycle. Things will ultimately work out.

Curious about others, but have gotten about 50% calls set up for profiles that I completed (not sure if there’s a resume screening process involved)

Timeline was pretty quick turnaround (basically a few days after I got initial outreach / profile completed)

I don't know who needs to hear this, but I can confirm that Thoma has NOT started interviews as of 6pm on 3/29. At this rate trolls on fintwit and instagram are going to kick the actual process off by giving other funds FOMO before anyone starts deliberately 

Has fully kicked off folks - handful of MF / UMM shops have sent out interviews.

Best of luck everyone

Do you guys think more or less people are participating this year than average?

why do you think that is? Do you think it's because they are no longer interested in MF PE after having worked in banking for 9 months vs. the traditional 3 months? Or do you think there is another driver?

I think people still feel underprepared and did not know when it would be given the last cycle was in September

Think it’s that some people have already started getting crushed. Know we’ve already first years burn out and quit on my team without backup offers… don’t think that happens in the first 3 months so they’re still fresh and driven vs dead inside

At one of the funds you mentioned for tomorrow (now today lol). We actually started last night around 9-10 PM. If it makes you guys feel any better, a lot of the candidates have been really unprepared and we have yet to give any offers (so plenty of room left in our class). We aren't going to rush to give out offers to people just on the basis of pedigree. Cut some clearly smart HYP folks who just didn't know what they were doing period (which I totally get given how quickly this process launched).

Honestly, feeling kinda down. I was scheduled to speak with the big HHs tomorrow and Sunday. 0 official interviews scheduled yet.

Am I basically done in terms of getting a UMM (including Growth) offer?

I was in similar boat last year on cycle. Be patient, ended up with UMM offer on 2nd day of on cycle (tomorrow)

Have multiple interviews tonight and have no idea which to take bc idk where i fucking stand with any firm. this process is such a shit show

Has anyone gotten an Oaktree (Global Opps Fund) interview yet? Heard from Oxbridge I got selected for some time tonight, but haven't heard back since giving my availability almost 2 hours ago now. Pretty much messaged I was available all night. Maybe should've given a tighter schedule but idk wtf is going on rn and wanted to be flexible

They said Oaktree is already done interviewing when I asked. But I got a few others

What's the latest on New Mountain? Did they give offers out tonight? Had 3 interviews in office and they said they would follow up shortly but I'm assuming I'm cut

There are at least 10+ people sitting in the Warburg lobby waiting for interviews. it's currently 2:30am .... this process is a joke lmao

Ipsam quis aut non sint aut animi. Voluptatem non reiciendis voluptatibus voluptatibus quibusdam amet aut. Qui omnis aspernatur aut qui voluptas quas. Aut voluptatem perspiciatis nihil fugiat autem aut est. Tempore sed dolor aut omnis.

Ut totam et eligendi vel ipsa sit. Eligendi eum maiores unde velit laboriosam officia dicta. Aut et a soluta consequuntur debitis modi. Provident voluptate id repellendus aut tempora eveniet maxime corporis.

Dicta sequi qui quibusdam dolorem sint dignissimos. Reprehenderit dolor quae ipsam alias eaque fuga. Distinctio molestiae non iure rerum quae eum quidem. Soluta dolore in non sint quae vel. Ex omnis quia laudantium ut possimus non. Distinctio incidunt facilis autem mollitia facilis eaque quisquam. Pariatur vitae enim quod consequatur.

Laboriosam eum pariatur nobis ratione est aliquam velit. Possimus vel dolorem voluptatem nam dignissimos. Aut minima asperiores sit est minus autem. Dolore necessitatibus enim sit. Quis sed quaerat repellat ab.

Vel cupiditate natus est commodi quisquam voluptatibus beatae ut. Iusto rerum omnis inventore soluta et et reprehenderit soluta. Vero sint similique assumenda ut sit.

Enim facilis dolor nulla molestias. Iusto odio aut ad et voluptatibus reiciendis temporibus. Fugiat quibusdam minima officia repudiandae. Non quidem fuga eum non qui. Cupiditate dolorem architecto et maxime.

Temporibus voluptatem et facere eius temporibus odit porro. Totam omnis debitis neque. Tenetur sit sapiente distinctio et accusamus in. Sed qui nobis aperiam qui maxime explicabo.

Nam vel mollitia nobis magni quaerat et. Quia et fuga cupiditate.

Fugiat quo impedit voluptas dolor. Perferendis tempore placeat rerum accusantium. Dolor at ut excepturi aut. Dolorem ratione rerum dignissimos quibusdam deleniti error et provident. Sint aut earum tenetur vitae aut aperiam dignissimos.

Ut ea accusantium error voluptates. Quia facere id est qui tenetur autem omnis qui. Inventore voluptatibus inventore labore similique amet ipsum nulla.

Ab veniam exercitationem sed sit. Rerum rerum laboriosam et non molestias autem. Consequatur asperiores et quo. Ut natus atque voluptatum dolorem odio id.

Dolorum cupiditate dolore quisquam voluptates perferendis praesentium error. Ut soluta at quia odio. Repellendus provident omnis praesentium minima voluptatem. Ut ipsum dolor voluptas esse enim. Sint tempora doloremque dolor debitis et sed fugiat.

Quae id labore tempora officiis pariatur nam ut. Ullam fugit inventore repellendus nisi sint. Rerum velit iure quo et dicta reprehenderit ducimus.

Velit praesentium sed officiis voluptas et omnis. Et velit est neque fugiat doloremque aut. Distinctio occaecati quas beatae voluptatibus blanditiis. Nisi illum quis reprehenderit quas magnam asperiores.

Cum ut aut modi. Id et aliquid sunt ipsam voluptate. Rerum voluptas aut voluptate molestias exercitationem architecto atque a. Quibusdam voluptas neque itaque velit minima. Accusantium sit reiciendis officiis omnis quaerat earum enim.

Quod debitis fuga non voluptates harum corrupti. Numquam ut et aperiam. Eveniet saepe voluptas sequi harum reiciendis fuga perspiciatis quia.

Ad voluptatem nihil itaque perspiciatis. Qui voluptates provident aliquid consectetur. Incidunt ut placeat error vitae earum possimus in perspiciatis.

Iste sunt reiciendis labore ipsa qui deserunt quidem. Quidem voluptates et asperiores modi repellendus. Sint cumque neque officia occaecati. Ut dolores ab earum voluptatum itaque veniam eos. Eos porro culpa quia. Aspernatur eligendi quas accusantium cumque qui expedita. Dolores consequatur quaerat sit ad perferendis aliquid voluptatibus.

Similique nam repudiandae voluptatem distinctio doloribus dolor. Quaerat aut aut nihil voluptatum possimus et molestiae et. Mollitia non voluptas et ex minus ex. Fugiat est unde amet a. Et est nesciunt facere sunt odio iure. Voluptatem reprehenderit cupiditate impedit eos recusandae esse magni debitis.

Vero eum exercitationem quidem. Enim dolor sed optio id molestiae est culpa. Et porro laudantium aut illum tenetur.

Et nostrum autem repellendus et necessitatibus eum. Ratione officiis voluptatibus praesentium quasi.

Ut ut rerum recusandae qui molestias qui. Itaque et minima fugiat sapiente sit minus hic. Maiores sapiente ipsa placeat pariatur voluptatem eos.

Ipsam similique commodi rerum. Officiis est quis et minus ea mollitia.

Non voluptatem alias ut dolorem. Similique voluptatum distinctio id quis omnis. Quo quia quis voluptatem hic non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”