TA Associates with $16.5bn fundraise

Pretty strong considering overall tailwinds. Predecessor fund was $12.5bn (2021). Fundraising launched officially in November so relatively fast wrap.

Feel free to share your thoughts on TA and their track record. They seem to be playing in the big leagues now.

Lol, as much as I'd like to think that, I don't think it's that simple. One explanation is TA is more targeted vs Insight and Tiger's strategy of spray and pray with a larger check size

Most Helpful

Simple answer honestly: 1) Specific to TA, they timed a lot of their recent exits extremely well in the bull market, which generated some pretty outrageous returns that obviously helped with marketing for this fundraising cycle, and 2) More materially to the actual question, TA's lane/strategy/approach is fundamentally different from Tiger/Insight (non-majority/buyout Insight). All three can be bucketed into the "growth" category, but the way Tiger and Insight invest is more akin to VC while TA's investments tend to be more similar to those made by later-stage buyout shops. Again, I'm intentionally overlooking Insight's buyout activity to simplify this analysis; if you think Insight's majority/buyout practice should be considered, then it's just further evidence of the point I make below (i.e. someone said on a separate thread that Insight's most recent deals have been majority/buyout).

Insight/Tiger (for last few years) have primarily been doing minority investments in high-growth tech/software companies, at prices/multiples that are a few years ahead of where the company may be at time of fundraising/investment. They're participating in Series B, C, D, etc. rounds. Smells like VC to me.

On the other hand, for the past decade TA has done almost exclusively majority/buyout deals, often utilizing leverage. The investment thesis/value-creation plan oftentimes has a large "transformation" element (i.e. add-ons) that is only possible to execute in control investments. With few exceptions, all of the companies that TA invests in will be growing somewhat quickly (think 15-30%, most of the time), though those growth rates will appear modest relative to the types of companies Tiger/Insight gravitated towards in recent years. Also, TA invests in sectors outside of tech/software so they benefit a bit from diversification.

Against the macro backdrop/dynamics from the past 12-15 months that caused the market to slow down, TA's approach is likely to have somewhat insulated them from the more acutely negative impacts that Tiger/Insight are experiencing. Part of that is driven by TA's diversification, since the multiple compression in tech/software was particularly dramatic (while Tiger/Insight's entire portfolios were exposed). Probably a slight benefit from being control investors depending on how significantly certain companies needed to adjust operationally to navigate the current environment. Mostly, though, the style of growth investing that TA adheres to - control investments in companies that are more mature than the typical Tiger/Insight company - means that their investments are significantly less reliant on/impacted by changes to the interest rate environment. Tiger/Insight's average entry multiple over the past few years was likely stratospheric relative to TA's, so unless their portfolio companies experienced unexpected and explosive growth post-investment, their assumptions around interest rate/multiple compression trajectory were too optimistic. Basically, they were forced to mark things down despite having every incentive to not do so.

The sort of obviously biggest driver of this all is that because they do private control investments they don’t have to mark down. Tiger/Insight did lots of round B/C/D etc which means every time their portcos fund raise a new mark is set whether you like it or not.

They also exited lots in 2021-2022 which is good timing and well done

TA is great at what they do. Don’t work there but have worked with them a ton.

Their sourcing engine is unmatched (comparable to probably Summit but no one else is close). They track an absurd amount of companies and are often able to find diamonds in the rough, and are great at add ons since they just know so many smaller companies.

They’re also tech investors but much more of the sleepy B2B SaaS vs high fliers (which is where tiger / insight / etc get into trouble) and have much more price discipline in my experience vs a Vista/Thoma/etc. lots of proprietary deals vs auctions.

Will be interesting as the funds keep getting bigger if they are going to have to do more big deals and if they can continue the success, but know returns are very strong even in the recent funds.

All that said, definitely a different associate experience than their peers (tons of sourcing) which is why I think they are more slept on by people on here.

crazy esp in the context of Insight only raising 2b out of their desired 20, and TCV at 1.25 of their desired 5... 

wow

Edit - Meant insight, not Tiger

This is super impressive, but I don’t think those are the correct comps for TA. As one of the posters mentioned, TA participated in more late stage buyouts across a wide range of industries vs. the earlier growth stage investing that Tiger or TCV does. In fact, I think of TA’s comps to be places like Warburg, H&F, etc. Basically diversified, stage-agnostic investors with a tech bent. 

Just fact checking, think tiger and TCV’s target were something like $6 and $5.5bn

They are still way off to be sure

Pariatur eum dolorum ab harum libero eius. Deserunt accusamus consequatur mollitia ea beatae sed quasi. Ex nobis eum quis explicabo deleniti est rerum.

Illo dolor atque provident. Et atque delectus et qui.

Ut consequatur omnis cum aut. Vitae est esse autem et voluptatibus. Dicta dolores laudantium velit fugit.

Voluptatem facilis ut et quam aut aut. Corporis quasi commodi quia est temporibus amet. Molestias odit omnis ut est dolore. Ut placeat nihil neque cum ad.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (389) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (316) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”