Would you ever put 100% of your personal assets into private equity?

Assume you are an eldery fella at 45, have realized some carry, etc.

Now you have ~$10m to invest and you work at a firm with a bunch of various PE products + have access to a few other funds through friends etc.

Would you ever invest in public stonkz if you have access to PE funds at a discounted rate?

It's not like you really need the liquidity and the long term gains are quite a bit better...especially with the discount factored in?

Assuming you get no-fee investing ops in your own funds...it's actually very hard to lose money on privates VS public. And you probably dont need the liquidity if you're making $$$ in base salary + have a non-spendy lifestyle?

Diversification is important

But wondering, how much of a discount do you find these days in pe funds and is that typical? 

I didn’t know co-invest purchases were at a discount. Also, can people invest any amount to coinvest or is there a limit? 

Diversification is as important as the efficient market hypothesis is accurate. What's important is being right.

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

I am 32, and have all of my money tied up in our partners fund and co-invest. Recently requesting my cash bonus be converted to GP Equity, and have began trying to purchase shares of the management company.

It is a boom or bust play, but I have a fallback, wealthy parents who have about a ~5.5mm dynasty trust that will go to me. I figure I can be risky because I have a fallback if my fund was to dry up, but if I didn't have that I would be way more diversified. 

Nothing would happen to my investments in the partners funds, GP equity and co invest, I would lose access the capital call leverage, so I would need to front more at each call. I also would need to pay a 1% per year Admin fee. Basically for them doing all stuff that is fund expenses the middle office accounting, tax stuff.

My carry in the current fund set. Nothing happens to it, but obviously I would lose carry on go forward funds

I would be absolutely willing to put the full amount I have to invest in private equity funds I manage. Obviously how specifically this breaks down depends on the funds that are available to me but I am entirely comfortable chasing yield. But I am also in my 20s. I would imagine I would have more hesitancy in my 40s but yeah. Putting my money back into the fund in significant chunks is something I’d expect to be comfortable with

As a secondary investor, a lot of my deals are with individuals who put all their money into illiquid assets and need to now collateralize their positions to generate cashflow. It is never good to not keep a small portion of your portfolio liquid - life happens and getting access to cash quickly and without a discount is helpful.

Illness? Injury? Family issue? Laid off? Bad planning? Life priority / plan changed? Liquidity takes a lot longer than expected?

loads of reasons

Most private equity firms expect you to invest in the platform.

Invest in secondaries. Heard some stat a couple years ago on how basically less than 1% of secondaries funds do sub 1.0x moic or something (or could’ve been a different metric, I forgot) 

Repellendus qui occaecati unde sit enim. Excepturi maiores fugit magni omnis. Sapiente quia numquam qui vero libero.

Voluptatem adipisci assumenda officiis. Recusandae officiis praesentium assumenda voluptas. Velit et et ab repudiandae id modi iusto enim. Error consequatur quisquam quis ab ducimus fuga.

Deserunt et fuga consequatur dicta facilis ut numquam. Cupiditate debitis distinctio autem molestias vel placeat. Dignissimos laudantium quasi laudantium id molestiae nostrum atque. Voluptatem non consectetur velit delectus occaecati.

Rerum et ut ut quibusdam nihil ullam. Libero minima eligendi voluptas quod. In omnis expedita voluptatem eum ipsam provident molestiae aut.

Dolor esse alias voluptates sit eius et. Sit consequatur aspernatur delectus accusamus. Totam quo aliquam accusamus explicabo. Ut fuga quibusdam omnis sit autem saepe. Dolorum voluptate aspernatur eum similique odit. Sit repellat suscipit facere.

Quia ducimus eveniet et aut dignissimos. Necessitatibus laboriosam deleniti explicabo impedit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”