MBA Profile Review (24M / 760 GMAT / FS Internal Consulting)

Hi all. Just wanted to get some insight into how my profile may perceived from an MBA Admissions perspective, and what I can possibly do to improve it. 

Why do I want an MBA?

I'm very interested in pursuing a career in Asset Management, with the ultimate goal of being a Portfolio Manager one day. Additionally, it's a goal of mine to provide assistance to marginalized groups - money is important to me but making a NPV positive impact to society is equally so - so I would at some point down the line like to help in the effort to increase investment accessibility and general knowledge among minority groups / people with lower socioeconomic status. I have a couple ideas towards this end but nothing fully worth fleshing out here. 

Background

Demographics

White male, age 24. Born in Midwest, lived in Singapore for 5 years as a kid, home is currently in the South but went to school / live in Northeast.

Education / Stats

-Graduated May 2019

-T50 U.S. News School (Bucknell, Northeastern, Lehigh)

-3.4 GPA (Finance / Industrial Engineering - interdisciplinary honors program so quite quant heavy)

-Active participant in honors program recruiting, mentorship; was TA for entrepreneurship course, took a variety of quite interesting courses through the program, etc.

-GMAT Score: 760 (50Q, 44V, 7IR, 6 AWA)

Career (June 2019 - )
-Part of a 2-year technology LDP at a major bank in NYC.

-Year 1 (June 2019 - June 2020): internal consulting gig; worked with ex-MBBs / HYP grads on strategy, operations, etc. analytics and transformation efforts.

-Year 2 (July 2020 - ): part of the Program Management team at the bank. Worked first on project centered around Derivatives / Securities Financing Transactions and now currently staffed on Wholesale Credit Risk remediation effort. Both regulatory programs. 

Extracurriculars and other experience
-Part of a multi-year community service program in which I mentor an URM at a high school school in Manhattan / Brooklynn. Will require upwards of 10 hours a month dedicated to supporting the high schooler, guiding him through the college process, and just generally providing an ear and adult perspective on his issues / goals / etc.

-Significantly involved in the bank's mentorship analyst programs and recruiting strategy.

-Part of the LGBTQ Allies (not LGBTQ myself) Group within the bank.

Other education/coursework: Planning on looking into some coding courses. Would love to learn Python or something of that nature in the next year. Considering CFA.

Questions

What kind of schools should I be targeting with the above profile, with the assumption that I will apply in ~2 years? Is the below set of targets (I understand HBS and Wharton are reaches) reasonable?
Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, Haas, Darden

And what can I do to further improve my application?

Thanks so much!

Most Helpful

Ducimus ratione a qui ea omnis minima in. Veritatis excepturi ducimus ut aperiam ex deleniti. Voluptatem architecto quam a consequuntur.

Susan Cera Director of MBA Admissions Stratus Admissions Counseling - www.stratusadmissions.com FREE Profile Evaluation - www.stratusadmissions.com/consult

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”