USC MSF vs. Johns Hopkins MSF 2020

Hello all,

I have been accepted to both USC MSF and JHU MSF programs, and I am having a hard time deciding which program to attend.

My main dilemma is that I was selected as a scholarship recipient at Johns Hopkins, so I will only have to pay half of the tuition.

I understand that USC has a better b-school (bigger alumni network, more history, etc), but is USC that much better than Johns Hopkins where I wouldn't regret giving up $35,000 of scholarship money?

Please tune in and offer me some advice!

Thank you all!

Current USC MSF student here. Personally, I wouldn't pay the full $67,000 tuition to go here. Career services isn't helpful at all, so you're pretty much on your own as far as the job search goes. It also doesn't help that most recruiters don't seem to be aware that USC even has an MSF program.

Trojan network is solid, but you'll still have to network your ass off to land a competitive offer.

Can't speak to the strength of JHU, but with your scholarship money, it would likely be the better choice in terms of ROI.

Thank you for chiming in.

It's good to hear from a current student at USC.

Trojan Network was what grabbed my attention with USC, but I am surprised to hear that the career services isn't too helpful.

Are the alumni easy to contact and do they offer good help with career if you establish good relations with them?

Do you know if the placement has been improving over these years? How is it looking for your MSF class?

Alumni are usually pretty eager to help, particularly if you've met them or have a mutual friend. Cold-calling response rate still isn't great though.

There are a lot of Marshall networking events in general, though a lot of them are targeted towards MBA or Undergrad students, and MSF-specific career events are practically non-existent.

Placement: It's hard to tell if it's been improving, since they still haven't posted the 2018 employment report. Could definitely be a red flag.

I'd rather not get too specific regarding placement for this year's class, but it's not looking great so far. International students in particular are having a lot of trouble finding employers who will sponsor.

Most Helpful

This is really just an aspect of any U.S. MSF degree. You're going to have network, cold e-mail, cold call, etc no matter what program you choose. Sure, some programs might have some OCR, but if you depend on OCR you're chances of landing an ideal job are going to be slim. The MSF is a non-traditional degree in the U.S. still. No debate around that. As a result, there is very little to no recruting structured around MSF students. Expect to be networking hard at any MSF program.

Sed dicta et ut placeat rerum alias quia. Dolorem ullam molestiae et quam quas. Autem sunt veniam nesciunt beatae.

Sed sapiente quas quod voluptate rerum repellendus id quisquam. Sapiente vel amet et beatae cumque eum autem delectus. Tempore ratione et dolore sint vel deserunt. Eos nemo velit nemo assumenda pariatur nulla omnis. Eveniet omnis fugit quis similique minima neque nulla. Earum tenetur enim optio repudiandae sint quis ab. Animi possimus fugiat in dolorum doloribus illum quo.

Porro aut aut animi atque impedit molestias at. Quaerat vel porro eos deserunt ut. Ut a error praesentium. Veritatis eveniet rerum pariatur magni. Qui nam deleniti exercitationem reprehenderit quod.

At itaque quod dolore amet voluptas culpa. Ea nemo et officia. Ullam labore sapiente accusamus non. Ullam eius vitae eveniet. Repudiandae quaerat non ipsum ex ipsum repellat molestias.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”