Most Helpful

Study abroad. Went from a lazy shit in community college making fun of try-hards to realizing how fun it can be to put effort into relationships, work, and life.

Really, it just took getting out of my hometown and away from druggie friends.

living abroad

hiring Filipino VA's

staying single into my mid 30's, and beyond?

in the last few months: learning how to properly absorb information from Reddit

What is the answer to 99 out of 100 questions?

Invest in QUALITY items. Never skim on quality. You'll always think I wish I would have gotten the nicer __ instead of trying to save on $20. Beyond that invest in anything that reduces the amount of time it takes for you to do something (errands, household cores, finances, commuting)

1. Performance Dress Shirts from Mizzen+Main -$25 off first order w/ this link. These are dress shirts that are truly wrinkle resistant & are made out of performance fabric & 4 way stretch. Stop looking ridiculous if you travel for work with a million wrinkles and stop looking ridiculous by wearing an undershirt and then a dress shirt. These aren't the 'performance fabric' shirts that you see at target or TJ Maxx. Check out their instagram or youtube. At time of this posting they got a ~50-60% off sale (google for link, doesnt show up on website).
  2. Mission Belt - seen on shark tank. Rather than holes it slides depending how tight you want it or helps if you gain/lose weight. Little things that make huge difference.
  3. A great bed.
  4. AirPods - huge convience with auto-pairing for calls, music, and gym.
  5. Simple ways to track finances & investments in 1 spot like w/ [Personal Capital] If first time signing up you'll get $20 amazon gift card if you use this link and so will I. Or check out mint which is similar.
  6. Ebates - obviously check this out if never hear of. .... 1-5% cash back on almost every store you visit.
  7. Obviously your career...

Well the impactfulness of a trip is all relative. If you grew up without ever travelling (on your own especially), any BS half-semester-long vacation could be a pretty big deal. Less so if you'd spent each summer at a different beachhouse in a new country as a kid.

You're right though there are plenty of srat chicks romanticizing their European bender tours, but that's a social media charade

You get what you put in. It's extremely similar to college: you're presented with amazing opportunities that are pretty hard to get elsewhere. Do you network and adopt the Nobel-winning department head as a mentor, or do you get shitfaced every night and try to hit on freshman?

When studying abroad, there's tons of people around you who desire more from their lives. Some want to party, sure. You can join them sometimes even. If you talk enough, you'll see they are typically very driven, social individuals who have enormous potential to make a significant impact on your life if you're open to it. Vastly different cultures where you can pick and choose what habits/lifestyles are good fits for you.

The crazy bit for me was seeing people from way different cultures/backgrounds/perspectives who had similar personalities to me. For myself, and others I've talked to, it really does remove the me-vs-the-world mentality I hadn't known I had.

Now that I sound like a bleeding heart liberal, I'll add that my problem solving toolkit was vastly improved, I remain in contact with (very varied, poor and rich and influential) people around the world and can stay with them or get advice or even funding from anytime, I had some wild sex, crazy parties, and still came out on top.

In summary: Opportunity.

Most people never travel beyond their:

• hometown...and many people grow up in small towns as well..
  • relative's town
  • university town

Beyond that most people don't travel for work or really get a chance to see things differently. Plus yea, its college and a big sight-seeing thing. Most people afraid to get out comfort zone and this is a fun way to do it.

Agree with some of other comments here - from investing in themselves to little things like clothes that make life easier. Anything that you feel like builds stuff or eliminates complexity is beneficial.

Time invested in football. I was young and on pace to be a massive fuck up until I became serious about football, which in turn gave me discipline, work ethic, and the opportunity to win awards for what would be considered assault elsewhere. In all seriousness, lessons learned through athletics served me well in other facets of life.

I come from down in the valley, where mister when you're young, they bring you up to do like your daddy done

My personal network/reputation. I could lose everything today and then raise enough to reboot something fairly quickly. Barely bothered with paperwork for the last financing I put together for one of my portfolio companies because the people buying the PIK bonds trusted me. Never do anything to hurt your reputation even if it means a big financial loss. Money comes back but your reputation not so much.

m_1:
My personal network/reputation. I could lose everything today and then raise enough to reboot something fairly quickly. Barely bothered with paperwork for the last financing I put together for one of my portfolio companies because the people buying the PIK bonds trusted me. Never do anything to hurt your reputation even if it means a big financial loss. Money comes back but your reputation not so much.

Hmm I'm not so sure of this as I used to be. The world is FULL of people who are total shitbags without an ounce of personal integrity who keep bouncing back from disasters. Full of people who make totally avoidable, self-aggrandizing mistakes and have yet more folks to believe in them no matter what.

• Getting rid of Facebook / Instagram / WhatsApp
  • Hitting the gym daily
  • being radically open and telling people what I think about them
  • Moving next to work (£2k monthly rent vs infinite happiness when coming home late)

Finding my passion for fitness as a hobby. Not only does lifting have extrinsic benefits (looking good, being healthy etc etc), it has become like a meditation exercise for me. I go there, hit a workout, and just don't think about anything else for 90 mins. It's really reduced my anxiety levels substantially.

Studying abroad when I was still in high school. I had a chance to live with a family abroad for the whole year when I was 15. Def gave me a better perspective on life, opened my eyes to the "world of opportunities".

Pretty much 50% of people who studied abroad with me ended up not going to unis in their home countries.

If I ever have kids, I will strongly encourage them to do the same.

Edit: Fair to say my parents paid for it, however, it is the greatest thing they could have ever done for me, so I am forever grateful for that chance.

For me it was working as a carpenter in the family business. It taught me a lot about work ethics, client interaction, punctuality and Dedication. Turned my lazy half ass high school Self into a hungry university student out there to kick ass. Seeing people around me makes me realize how valuable it is to have worked physically and actually done something.

before anyone dumps on me, look at %, bank of america had a great run, there are obviously penny stocks, and options/futures plays that you could have cleaned up on, but as for household equity name, and AIG to that list...interesting govt all has some part in these companies

Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Netflix, Research in Motion...My average % for these 3 has been in the high double digits, close to three digits.

Nothing stops this train. NOTHING --W.W./Heisenberg

Sed quis rerum ipsam ut perferendis illum qui. Quos numquam fuga voluptatem a. Et eius voluptas id velit voluptates. Voluptas dolorem earum fuga recusandae porro aut.

Ut deserunt aliquid ipsa repudiandae explicabo accusamus nulla. Occaecati neque ut perspiciatis. Fugit qui saepe aut dolorem ex rerum ut aut. Fugit est accusantium expedita sit rerum eaque alias.

Excepturi sit minima eum rerum qui voluptatem id. Expedita ut eum laboriosam ducimus nihil incidunt veritatis. Alias similique quo voluptatem odit consequatur repellendus cupiditate omnis.

Soluta eum aspernatur officiis sit vel dolor ut. Quos velit asperiores voluptatem vel fuga magnam voluptates consequatur. Assumenda qui omnis aut veniam. Magnam dolorem quod eum delectus modi.

Rerum quidem sit veniam distinctio sunt. Nisi corrupti ab accusantium excepturi. Consequatur dolor repellendus voluptas ut dolorum in provident. Omnis vitae quis a dolore quaerat et reprehenderit. Quis quaerat sint repellat architecto voluptatum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”