Inv Banking 101: The Typical Deal Process

Was wondering if any of you thoroughbred investment bankers could enlighten the rest of us aspiring bankers about the typical deal process from start to finish (for a buy-side and sell-side deal). What are the key points/events we should know about going into a full-time interview for banking, especially with a summer banking internship on our resumes? What is the typical length, approach, strategy? I am aware that some deals, for example, on the sell-side are driven entirely by the buyer and the full process is much shorter than a deal that is otherwise not. A lot of the time, the seller puts together a teaser for potential buyers and then eventually a management presentation in an attempt to get the potential buyer further intrigued and thinking about the business. If initial interest is there, the potential buyer must pitch the acquisition to its board and see if it is in the best interest of the buyer's shareholders (in the case of a public company). Do negotiations about the price and structure of the deal carry forth after a potential buyer is on board and what exactly does this entail? Would love some more insight on the entire process.

Also, a few more questions if someone has the chance to answer:

1. How is the analyst's role different for a buy-side vs. sell-side deal? Are sell-side models mostly built off templates and buy-side models customized for the deal at hand because there is much less interaction with the seller, and thus, less knowledge of the company? I would think it depends on the deal and not necessarily the lack of information?
  2. Why is a sell-side process typically easier than a buy-side? Is it because there is more competition from buyers on a sell-side and not as many options on a buy-side? Just heard this a lot and wanted to get a clear explanation.

Hoping this sparks an interesting discussion and further questions by others...

Quae qui praesentium quia. Aut magni veritatis pariatur nesciunt accusamus.

Atque voluptatum non temporibus non repudiandae excepturi a. Mollitia nihil eum qui accusamus aliquid consequatur molestiae nobis. Totam voluptatum veniam beatae alias consequatur alias asperiores et.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”