Pages

TopicRepliesLast replysort ascending
Normal topic
Getting a job in IB without "official" experienceI'm a junior from california state university. My GPA is not very good, 3.16. Didn't try hard in community college. I've been trading stocks for over a year. Started with $10,000. Made 47% in returns before the tax. (online discount broker) I dont have any "official" job experience. How can I menti...
Normal topic
Offer expiring while waiting for another offer what should I do?I received an offer from a large financial services firm that will be expiring in a week and a half but I am waiting to hear back from my first choice which is a large investment bank. The investment bank has sent me emails keeping me updated on the process but they have not made a decision yet and...
Normal topic
Due Diligence- Big FourHey, I have an offer from one of the big four in their due diligence group. I was wondering if anyone knew what the hours would be like? thanks ...
0 n/a
Hot topic
Phone call rejections are awfulHad interviews with GS two weeks ago, got a voicemail today asking me to call back when I have some spare time. "Oh hi, sorry but the team feels your skills and prior work experience would be better suited for X department so they do not want to pursue your candidacy. Thanks for interviewing!" I mu...
Normal topic
First Advantage GPA Check?So corporate recruiting happened, I got an offer at an MBB and accepted, and now the background check is happening. My GPA dipped .07 (rough term, hard classes + being away all the time for interviews and stuff) from about a high 3.5X (on my resume) to a low 3.5X... (which will be on my newest trans...
Normal topic
Normal topic
Phone call, Meeting or Both?I contacted an alumni requesting either a phone call or a meeting when I am in town for break. He said he is happy to do speak with me on the phone and/or meet with me when I'm in town. I responded asking to talk next Thursday and meet the week of the 17th. Was this the right move? I feel like if I ...
Normal topic
Big Asset Management Firm to Large Hedge Fund I'm a 2nd year analyst doing institutional sales and relationship management at a large asset manager (think PIMCO, BlackRock, JPM) and I've had a headhunter recently contact me asking if I'd like to work at a large quant hedge fund (think AQR, Bridgewater, Renaissance) in a similar position. Base p...
Normal topic
Emailing Writers BlockI always take a long time to reply to emails. Especially the ones that are more important (i.e. responding to an alum that I contacted). I get stuck because I want to make sure it's perfect and am concerned that I will be dinged if it sounds at all unprofessional or if their is the smallest grammat...
Hot topic
Has my poli sci major doomed me in the industry?OK so after sending out at least 30 resume/cover letters, I had a firm interview me twice for wealth management, and I didn't get it. Even tho I had a leadership position in a major organization in college, did tons of extracurrics, wrote on the newspaper for 2 years almost weekly. I majored in poli...
Normal topic
Top Investment Management Firms in LAAnyone know of good Investment Management firms in LA to start a career at? ...
Normal topic
Deciding On My Next Move (Advice)I am currently a senior at a target with a 3.0 GPA, yes I know its low but pretty late to get that moved much. I have had internships at a financial services firm in their Finance and accounting dept, a BB bank in a back office research role, and most recently this summer as a equity research analys...
Normal topic
Undergraduate Work Experience...Hey WSO, I am currently a junior at a non target state school and I've been wondering how much does WE matter as an undergraduate besides the regular SA internships. I did one internship last year in Korea for an investment bank and right now I've been doing part time outbound sales at a regional ba...
0 n/a
Normal topic
Languages - "Business Proficient"I'm applying for a summer analyst program and one of the sections on the application is for 'Languages' I speak a dialect of an Asian language, and learned Spanish in middle/High School for 7 years. I can't apply without putting in something for languages, and I feel like it would be foolish to wri...
Hot topic
I will pay you to unGoogle me... I Google myself every once in awhile to see what comes up. Usually its Linked-in, Facebook, etc,. The other day I Googled myself and the last thing that I want to appear on fucking Google shows up: The police blotter for the small town newspaper where I was arrested during sophomore year. I go to sc...
Normal topic
Interview Question about Long Term GoalsI've always wondered this. Many financial firms have 2-year analyst programs, and after those two years the analyst leaves for another firm and firms know this. But when interviewing for that position and you get asked about your long-term career goals, are you supposed to say that you want to stick...
Normal topic
Anyone hear back from Morningstar?Anyone hear back from Morningstar about the MDP program? ...
0 n/a
Normal topic
Senior; keep looking for ft or go for internship?HI WSO I am currently a senior at a semi-target state school (UVA, Umich, UCal) and I have not received a ft offer as of yet. Since most BB and MM are done for the year, I started to focus on small boutique firms, inquiring about possible positions. From calling few banks, I've found that most of th...
Normal topic
Is WSO Planning a Meetup in Seattle Anytime?Couldn't think of any section to put this in, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I was just wondering if WSO is planning on doing one of their meetups in Seattle sometime? I noticed that they are having them in San Fran and Los Angeles, so I was wondering if there are plans to have one in th...
Normal topic
Bored at MBB and want to switch - what next??Hey everyone, I am now a little over 1 year into my job at MBB and to be honest, I am totally bored - I find the actual work not very challenging and intellectually unsatisfying. I really want to do something else but find myself somewhat at a crossroad. Should I do my own startup? Should I switch ...
Normal topic
Morgan Stanley Assessment Centre - Help!I have a bunch of questions about the assessment centre in London for Morgan Stanley for Summer Analyst in Equity Research 2011: (from their homepage: group exercises, interviews, psychometric tests and role plays.) 1: Anyone who has been there who can describe what it's like? 2: How technical is it...
Normal topic
Big career decision coming up.. any help appreciated.. hedge fund is eventual goalHey guys this is my first time posting and I've got a pretty big decision coming up and was looking for any guidance that was out there. Background: In one of the top 5 Master of Accounting programs in the nation with a 730 GMAT. Came straight from undergrad at not a top school and have degrees in f...
Hot topic
My conversation with HR: The real probability of you entering a Bank's graduate program?It is less than 1%. No you did not see wrongly. For every graduate position, there are more than 100 people applying and only one will get hired. Even getting a summa cum laude is easier than getting into a bank's graduate program. I knew it was bad but I did not know it was that bad. For those w...
Normal topic
Computer programming a prerequisite for quantitative jobs?Hey everyone. I'm currently at a target school planning on studying Economics and minoring in Math. Recently I've been strongly considering changing that minor into a major. Not only do I really like the math courses I've been taking, I think that a math major might also require me to be more compet...
Hot topic
Buy side interviewHi, I got a buy side interview (hedge fund) coming up and they asked me to prepare a small research paper with 2 long and short investment ideas. I am just wondering what the typical format and length will be? First time I've been asked to do this. Thanks a lot! ...

Pages