TopicRepliesLast replysort ascending
Normal topic
Seeking advice in switching careersI have two questions, and I am hoping someone more knowledgeable than I on this forum can help. How can I best get a start in the investment management industry, specifically with the goal of working in the hedge fund or mutual fund industry? And how many years of personal portfolio performance sho...
0 n/a
Normal topic
MSc Statistics: Good "add-on" to Economics degree?Background: - Studying at "Top 5" UK university but not Oxbridge - Degree in Financial Economics - Graduating in 2013, expecting First Class - Completed M&A internship Until recently, I was determined to get an MSc Financial Engineering or Finance. Most of the interesting degrees strike me as to...
Normal topic
Is WSO job board subscription for more experienced hires?Hi, was wondering if the WSO subscription job board had jobs for ~7 year experience types of is it more Pre-MBA types? I am looking so before joining that vs LinkedIn job seeker, etc. wanted to have a sense of the job stuff on the subscription site. Thanks. ...
Normal topic
Where to go from here?So, its November, and most FT recruiting is over for IB. I had zero offers and I'm going to ultimately have to lower my aspirations but I'm afraid I put so much focus into IB FT that even that will be closed for me. Basically, what I'm asking is, are positions at boutiques, F500 companies, etc. stil...
Normal topic
editdeleted ...
Normal topic
"lunch" portion of the interview with analysts?Hi this is my first post. I have a final round in which I have to meet with the senior managers for a risk management position. Afterwards, they would send 2 analysts out with me to "get a snack" or lunch. Is there any protocol or behavior I should abide to? Do I have to pay the bill? What should be...
Normal topic
base paydeleted ...
Normal topic
The 3-5 Year CommitmentQuestion for those of you NOT in investment banking mainly. Though this may come up in investment banking interviews as well I think this issue is mitigated with the generally acceptable contract period which many leave after. During many of the interviews I've experienced, they want someone who is ...
Normal topic
Informational CallsHey everyone, I have an informational interview with an MD at a large boutique (Laz, Ever, etc) So I was primarily wondering how I can leverage this into a summer internship? Thanks ...
Normal topic
VC PC Casebook ebookDoes anyone know where I can buy a copy of this ebook? I'm desperate and can't wait for Amazon to deliver.... Also desperate enough that if questionable means are the only way I'd do it. ...
Hot topic
Do SAT Scores really matter?From my short time on this site (about a week) there seems to be multiple mentions of SAT scores. While I understand them for maybe undergrad internships, why do some companies ask for SAT scores outside of internships? Also, the SAT score they focus on is usually Math correct? ...
Normal topic
Interview with Low GPAI was recently contacted by a firm's HR for a phone interview for a recent graduate position in AM. I have been working for about 1.5 years. The firm also asked for my transcripts as well. I had a low GPA at a top public school and did not disclose the GPA in my resume. This firm appears to be quite...
Normal topic
underg with a GPA of 3.22, aim for Big 4Hi everyone, I am currently a junior with culmulative GPA of 3.22 now and expect to boost up to above 3.3 by the end of my junior year. I want to get into one of the Big 4 accounting Firms. My college is a targeted college and I am double majoring in Accounting and Finance. I had a Deloitte Intern i...
Normal topic
Monty09 in Chicago - drinks? I will be in Chicago for the Bears/Texans game but open most of the weekend and Monday Ping me if anyone wants to grab drinks ...
Normal topic
Is Risk Management The Right Career Move I'm contemplating a move from Operations to Risk Management between two Bulge Bracket Firms. I've been working a year and a half and will finish my MSF program in 4 months. Ops really isn't the place for me, but trying to jump into a front office role is fairly impossible given the current employm...
Hot topic
Getting into the Big 4 - and what it means for one's futureNowadays, as the competition steadily increases and fortune 100 entry-level positions become inexperienced college grad's new goal, what must one do to get ahead. Just a few quick questions about the Big 4: 1.) What is the Big 4's stereotypical entry-level candidate? -Google, Apple and Faceb...
Normal topic
Sophomore (Target) Internships...Hey guys, I am currently a sophomore at Columbia reading Economics. I have a 3.6 GPA and some relevant finance/research experience. So here's the deal, I see most people saying that freshmen/sophomore are able to land PWM jobs in BAML or Morgan Stanley -- is this true? I just ransacked their website...
Normal topic
Investment Banking in Birmingham? Right to the point. I will be in Birmingham over Thanksgiving break, does anyone have access to a Bloomberg and can shoot over a list of any Ibanks or PE firms in Birmingham? I would appreciate it. Would save me from time spent with the family. ...
Normal topic
What to do with my finance degree other than IB/PE?Hi, I'm graduating in May '13 with a finance degree from an unknown state school. I haven't had any internships, and will be coming out with around a 3.5 GPA. It seems like most of the information and discussions I find online talk about the world of IB or PE. This seems like a virtually impossible ...
Normal topic
Help!I'm a recent college graduate and I have no investment banking or corporate finance experience. I worked in retail banking, and I graduated with a degree in finance from a less than reputable college. I clearly understand I will have little to no luck finding a job in the industry (I'm not naive) so...
Normal topic
Wealth Management entry level job-cold calling who?So last week I interviewed at this boutique investment bank, for a wealth management position. I'm waiting on the decision, but in the mean time, during the interview, they told me I'd be doing a lot of cold calling. I know what cold calling is, I've worked on political campaigns. But there we had a...
Normal topic
If you don't break in out of undergrad, what are your options?Given the increasingly dire outlook of IB hiring, it makes me worry about the possibility of not landing an IB role directly out of undergrad. For an otherwise qualified candidate (target school, 3.5+ GPA, strong interviewer), what would your options be? I would think the next logical step would be...
Normal topic
"How did you get my e-mail/name"I've been doing the ol' find everyone's name and plug into an @company for a few days now. I've gotten a few replies, but just a few minutes ago I got an email saying, "Thank you for the note. I am just curious, how did you get my name?" I couldn't find any advice on here so I winged it. I decided t...
Normal topic
The concern question posed to interviewersAt the end of the second round interview, have you ever asked "So do you have any concerns or questions in your mind about my experience as it relates to this position?" If so, has this strategy worked well for you? And from the interviewers out there: What do you think of this question? Do you ap...
Hot topic
doctor switching to financeI am a 39 yo physician who no longer wants to practice. I really want to go into finance. I would like to go into IB, PE, HF. VC. Management consulting is also an option that I considered. I had an interview wIth Mckinsey but got dinged. I tried to break in but it seems difficult bc of my nont...

Pages