Targetish LAC for 100k debt?

Hii yet another annoying hs senior :) Think Williams/Amherst, I'd have somewhere between 50k-150k student loan debt, is that an unreasonable amount? My other options are William & Mary or Penn State, which would be much more affordable but I really don't like them as much. I got waitlisted at penn non-Wharton but they take like 3% off WL so I don't think that's happening. Thanks in advance

I think its pretty hands down LAC unless you hate small schools. in that case you could prob take W&M, crush it and just transfer to a proper target

Targetish? Lol Williams and Amherst are 2 of the best schools in the country and if you get in, you go

Most Helpful

Amherst / Williams are target-caliber schools and you would have a much, much easier time breaking into IB from those two schools than W&M or Penn State. You probably see more W&M / Penn State grads on Wall Street because of sheer numbers, but I think a higher portion of Williams / Amherst students who are interested in IB are successful at breaking in. Most Amherst / Williams grads are not interested in finance and will go down a law / premed / grad school path. Bonus points for IB chances if you play a varsity sport or rugby/crew at these schools.  

Amherst / Williams / other top peer LACs also have fantastic aid programs and sometimes are grant only (no loans). You might be pleasantly surprised at the response if you just ask for more aid and cite the better W&M / Penn State costs - they accept only a small number of students and really want them to attend. 

As an aside, Amherst / Williams are significantly stronger academically - you will be better off at Amherst / Williams than the other schools if you decide to not do IB

Source: I went to a peer LAC and turned down W&M and large state schools without thinking twice about it. Can PM if you want to be more specific 

This is along the lines of what I've been thinking, I honestly love the LAC and I'd go there in a heartbeat even disregarding IB prospects. I'm just kind of hung up on the loans, I was raised very anti-debt. I tried appealing and they gave me nothing but I don't think I could forgive myself letting an opportunity like this go. Thank you, it's reassuring to hear :)

If you haven't, I would explicitly tell them you are considering another school for cost reasons and show them the aid you would be getting. Doesn't hurt to ask twice, you're already in. More drastically, you could try to defer a year, work, and shave maybe 50-60k off of that number depending on what you do. You will show up more mature than a lot of your classmates, which is a big plus. You also could bluff doing that and see what they say.

In any case, try to get library desk jobs on campus during the evenings - they will pay you to do your homework.  

Sounds like you know what you want, just a matter of making it happen. Best wishes.

You mentioned a target-ish LAC like Williams/Amherst.

If it's actually Williams College, that would be the choice without hesitation. Not only the # 1 LAC, but Williams College tends to be a uniquely special case, for a few reasons. Also, historically, it's been a feeder school to Harvard. You will find plenty in finance/banking from Williams College.

However, it's a bit in the middle of nowhere, and you have to be ok with the small school/small town feel..

Nowadays, student loans of $150k wouldn't be all that bad, compared to many others.

If it's not Williams College, then my answer might vary a bit, depending on which LAC. If you like a small school feel, it could be a good option.

Also remember, you can also transfer to a different school (if desired), but just make sure you watch all the relevant tranfer deadlines and banking timelines.

Good luck.

Investor (30+ years); IB/RE/PE/Corp. Exp (MD level); currently, head of boutique private equity firm; principal of family office.

100k will be practically negligible in the long run - Amherst and Williams are incredible schools in and of themselves as well as great for IB recruiting. Not a student there, just from observation and having friends at Williams.

Williams enrollment is 2,000 and Penn State is 40,000.... Penn State recruiting is fine enough so if it came down to only recruiting differences I'd say go there, but the student experience is VERY different and it sounds like you would much prefer the small school. Go to the school you will be happy and thrive at.

If it's Williams / Amherst I would go back and ask for more aid, but otherwise take it. If it's "comparable but not those schools" you should post the actual name, not all LACs are equal for finance recruiting

I'd also honestly visit the campuses... WIlliams and Amherst are actually quite different from each other (Williams is in a very, very small town while Amherst is in an actual city, altho on the small side - Williamstown is literally just Williams. W&M is in the middle of nowhere and about 3x bigger than the LACs and Penn State is obviously Penn State.

I went to school in Worcester nearby so know both Williams and Amherst areas well. If I had the choices you had, I'd pick Williams / Amherst 100%. 

Quae quia officia dolorem veritatis et et officiis. Enim cum aliquam cum vero fugiat praesentium sunt. Quia aut est omnis ipsa id rem dolorem. Dolore impedit sed iste. Quibusdam sunt ut modi consequatur quos quisquam dicta.

Autem exercitationem fugit eos quis. Enim est laboriosam exercitationem officiis molestiae voluptatem. Et id et quaerat neque deleniti. Et sit architecto ut. Aut rem harum commodi aliquid accusantium aut.

Voluptas et labore quam sed libero nisi. Sint nobis vitae molestiae numquam officiis eum dolorem fugiat. Iste consequatur error vel. Libero eum ipsa nostrum dolor fugiat impedit vero dicta.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”