Tipping MD in 2022

I was wondering how much everyone is planning on tipping their MDs this year. Would $1000 each (my group has 6 MDs) be too low for an AS2? I don't want to seem greedy or ungrateful, although this year has been harder on me financially… For reference, my bonus last year was ~25% higher and I tipped $1250 each – and I figure there might be some leeway this year given this environment.

My group is pitching in to make sure my group head's bonus doesn't go down from 2021, despite doing half as many deals this year. We are splitting it even so it's around 10 grand a person, the analysts actually took out personal loans which our bank was happy to finance - totally worth it to keep them happy. 

I also recommend passing around a page with names and faces, similar to the doorman buildings, as I didn't even know several of our MDs still worked here and it really helps when you're not sure if you've tipped that random EMEA MD yet or not!

Maybe that is where mine will exit to once the bank comes to the realization that him and his crew robbed them of millions in comp lol

Controversial

Incoming FT analyst here. Are you actually supposed to tip your MDs? Never heard of this. How much of bonus/in what form?

EDIT: Keep the MS coming lads. Just asking questions and you're piling on as if there was a formula. 

It's a bit oldschool, but still common at top BBs albeit through a more informal process than historically. The main rationale is that these guys have worked their ass off to get to MD and have sacrificed a lot to bring deals for us, but the self-interested rationale in it is that it also demonstrates that you can read the room.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Like others have mentioned, $1,500 is market this year for AS2. At the very least I'd advise you not to tip less than you did last year - imo it reflects poorly

Even I, as an intern, tipped my MDs that I've worked with my entire internship salary (to each, worked closely with 3 in total so took out loans). I believe this helped me in securing that return offer. To pay back the loans and to tip my MDs fairly as a full time analyst, I'm currently working 3 jobs while in school and also sold my kidney recently. Tbh the jobs haven't contributed much to my MD tipping pool so I'm taking suggestions to what other organs I can divestitute to contribute to my tipping pool.

Looking to purchase a spleen atm, will pay 8% under market. Lmk

MD here. It varies.

At my prior bank (BB) there was a cap on cash tipping, which was quite annoying. MDs would have to also complete a cash tipping form and get that signed by the analyst to show that it was all consensual tipping (it was mainly so we can cover from any legal liabilities).

It was so annoying to everyone and the cap was so low (think $1000) that many analysts and some associates would buy gifts instead. The problem was that they wouldn’t coordinate - one year I ended up getting 2 iPads with the apple pen (guess my markups were bad…). It was nice gesture, but very inefficient (gave one iPad to my son).

At my current bank (boutique) there are no rules, so it varies. If it’s an analyst that I haven’t work much with I wouldn’t expect much. Maybe $1,000 cash. If I’ve worked on a deal, I’d think $2,000 is appropriate.

Anything above $5,000 I’d feel it’s a bit inappropriate, especially considering that we are 4 MDs in the team.

Just curious. You make much much more than analysts and associates and create a bunch of shit for them to do that their lives are absolutely miserable. And each still has to put together a couple of grands to show their gratitude? Do you feel like you actually deserve it? Isn't this your job to bring in deals? This is so pathetic. If anything, I would rather go have a nice dine with my MD and have an honest discussion to build mentorship and friendship. Just because MDs are older and higher up in the ladder doesn't mean he is a god to analysts and associates. They are still humans and could be wiped like dust and dirt

I've only worked in ibanking in Asia. Here tipping is not a thing. But  there is a tradition to give red packets of lucky money to more junior people - married folks give lucky money red packets to unmarried juniors, or to support staff and service providers (security guards, tea servers, etc.) around Chinese New Year. Key is to that is to have nice looking red envelopes and get crisp 500 or 1000 HKD notes fresh from the bank. Can't give just any only notes - only really nice brand new notes. But since the max is really only 1000 HKD (ie. USD 125) it's not really that big a deal. 

But to tip an MD???   "Here's a tip buddy.  Learn to close."

Who do you think gets the bigger bonus from the MD? Analyst A, who the MD knows will split off a certain % of his bonus to pay to the MD as a tip, or Analyst B, who will greedily not tip the MD. 

All these people in threads talking about "bonus is down 20% this year OMG". Wonder why that is. Always tip! 

I laughed so hard, thanks everyone

===

Btw sophomore about to start recruiting here,

Used to be worried about the process given how competitive it is, but looks like there is not much competition out there and I might as well aim at MF PE

Should I start "Tipping Principals in 2022" to see if PE analysts are actually smarter? 

I was a TA in school and we actually had to do a module training on receiving gifts and tips from outside parties. Forgot the dollar limit but it essentially could only be capped at a certain amount and couldn’t be used to bargain for a better grade. 

Array

I'm at a lower tier bb and staffers let us know today is the final day to tip our mds.  150 for analysts and 250 for associates was the suggested tip amount.

So dumb. I really hate baking sometimes....

Well, I'll give you some colour. I've got promoted this year from a coffee-lady to shoe-shiner on the floor. Considering this year my shift MD increased our turn PnL by 27.3% via adding a foot job service, I'm going to tip in the range of $1,500 to $2,000 given my bonus was 170% this time. I say, all sales and trading loafers were shiny and bright so it was a good year. Happy holidays everyone!

grind_o

Well, I'll give you some colour. I've got promoted this year from a coffee-lady to shoe-shiner on the floor. Considering this year my shift MD increased our turn PnL by 27.3% via adding a foot job service, I'm going to tip in the range of $1,500 to $2,000 given my bonus was 170% this time. I say, all sales and trading loafers were shiny and bright so it was a good year. Happy holidays everyone!

I plan on tipping my MD my entire bonus on the spot, at the meeting in which my MD tells me my bonus $. I reasoned this decision out as if he is judge but I am executioner.

In these sparing times, if the amount he decides I to have is high, then he will find that he is also eating tonight.

If the amount of my bonus is low, so will be his tip. And it will only be a consequence of his own choices. 

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Tempore ad sunt consectetur tempora iste quo. Modi eos quasi esse ratione atque repellat. Doloremque voluptas corporis debitis molestiae quasi voluptas ea. In consequatur sit enim voluptatem velit iste.

Et sit quia nostrum neque optio id. Vero quis rerum omnis rerum.

Possimus maxime doloribus consequatur laudantium inventore ut. Architecto ea aut et sed quisquam doloribus ea ut. Non sed sint saepe tempora. Commodi autem laboriosam quae saepe facilis. Eos non quia modi ea aliquid rem consequatur voluptatum.

Voluptatem beatae porro et quis consequatur numquam commodi. Et vitae et totam et voluptatum vel. Omnis amet laboriosam minus occaecati enim explicabo. Molestiae fuga labore placeat est error dolores assumenda.

Minima et minima nihil ullam quo sapiente. Velit voluptatem voluptatibus deserunt rerum minus qui doloribus.

Illo et tempore doloremque amet voluptatum. Qui incidunt et labore. Et tenetur dolore unde vitae et voluptatem quia.

Ut voluptates voluptatem rem et quod. Pariatur distinctio et rem sint et. Blanditiis possimus repudiandae inventore aut veritatis. Aut deleniti omnis eos. Doloribus beatae neque doloribus ad.

Error modi vitae quos. Beatae illum facilis praesentium quo et magni et.

Aliquam et voluptas blanditiis est architecto quis. Aut a voluptatibus laborum nihil porro. Non earum eius ut incidunt architecto nostrum et. Sint quisquam nisi qui commodi aliquam fugiat deserunt. Perspiciatis nam eum molestiae dolor. Hic sed est qui dolorem. Enim quia et non.

Qui quo ullam qui. Qui eveniet enim quibusdam eum qui illo similique. Sit aut et eligendi consequatur hic reprehenderit sit id. Corrupti neque voluptas rerum atque eos rem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”