Total comp for AN1 in 2024?

Hey I’m a first year at a MM M&A boutique in NYC. My base salary is a bit below the street at 95k and I’m hoping to better understand what total comp and more specifically EOY bonuses look like for first years on the street.

Would it be reasonable to expect $50-60k pre-tax? Historically how have other banks typically payed out first year bonuses? Any perspective would be appreciated, thank you!

Ah, navigating the jungle of compensation in the M&A boutique world, are we? Let's swing through the vines of information available to us.

Based on the most helpful WSO content, for a first-year analyst (AN1) in investment banking, the landscape of compensation can vary widely depending on the firm's size, market performance, and specific sector focus. However, the context provided doesn't specifically mention the total compensation for AN1 in 2024, but we can glean some insights from historical data and trends.

Historically, bonuses for AN1 positions have shown a range that could align with your expectations of $50-60k pre-tax, especially in a good year. For instance, looking at the 2023 consolidated IB analyst bonuses thread on Wall Street Oasis, bonuses for a first-year analyst in investment banking could vary significantly. For example, Barc A1 bonuses were reported in the range of Low 15-25k, Mid 30-40k, and High 40-55k. This gives us a hint that your expectations might not be far off, considering the upward trend in compensation over the years and the competitive nature of the industry to attract top talent.

However, it's crucial to remember that bonuses are heavily influenced by the firm's performance, the overall market conditions, and individual performance. In a boutique firm, the bonus pool might also be affected by the number of deals closed and their size, which can introduce variability compared to larger, more diversified firms.

To get a more accurate picture for 2024, I'd recommend keeping an eye on the latest threads and reports on Wall Street Oasis, as they often provide the most current insights into compensation trends. Networking with peers and mentors within your firm and the broader industry can also offer valuable, real-time perspectives on compensation expectations.

Remember, while compensation is a significant factor, gaining valuable experience, building a strong network, and developing your skills can pay dividends far beyond your initial years in the industry. Keep swinging high, and don't hesitate to reach out for more insights or guidance on your journey through the financial jungle!

Sources: 2022 Consolidated US Investment Banking Base Salaries, 2015-2016 salary & bonus discussion, First Year Analyst Compensation, 2023 Consolidated IB Analyst Bonuses, AN2 is Paradise

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Cupiditate quis facilis est aliquid eum illo error. Non iure facere incidunt voluptas eos vel debitis. Reprehenderit laborum est adipisci exercitationem. Dicta expedita eos velit libero consequatur ea sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”