Counter take: 2020 has been the best year of the past 10 years for me. Tremendous amounts of family time, getting all my work accomplished remotely, no wasted time commuting and no eating takeout for dinner at my desk at 10 PM. Literally all I have to do is stay inside and wear a mask outside, which is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

EDIT: LOL, really? Unless you have gotten COVID, which earthwalker has, 2020 isn't ruining your life.

Most Helpful

I’m with the anon VP here. From a macro perspective, 2020 is a horrible time. Many people died, I’ve had a friend get pretty sick (but thankfully recovered) from COVID. Scary times.

I’m very grateful my loved ones have all been healthy and not that heavily impacted by COVID. From a micro perspective on just my little bubble, life has actually been good. I left a job I hated and changed careers to something I really enjoy, I got married and get to spend tons of time with my wife, get to talk to family a lot more. Transitioning careers slowed down hiring but SWEs are still getting hired, that’s the biggest negative impact that this has actually had on me.

It’s tiring to see the stupid shit in the news though, I’m an extreme leftist by WSO standards (which is more moderate irl) so seeing dumb movements like the anti mask movement is really annoying. But me personally, I’m pretty grateful my life is the way it is.

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

agree bro, spending time with wife has been great. I already said in the gratitude thread about the good of Covid from a certain standpoint, but obviously if you've had someone affected by the virus who's close to you, that sucks.

and to anyone who's throwing poo because some people choose to look at the positives in their life despite the negatives. life is rarely all bad or all good. and while you can never change your circumstances, your reaction is within your control, never forget that.

back on the drink part, been on a break from beer with bars closed, doing more cocktails wine and cigars, it's been awesome. summer in the south is hot, but a good stoag and a stiff negroni are just what the doctor ordered when I can't travel anywhere.

Analyst here. Though WFH was pretty cool and all at the beginning. No commute times, no late hours as I’m home anyway, don’t even need to get dressed up as t shirt and shorts works. Then came like week 4. I seriously need this to end. I’m feeling worse and worse every day, there’s nothing to do but work. Seems my hours got worse and worse, no place to have fun, can’t do anything except sit at home and do work. When we all worked in the office, you get out on Friday and the sky is the limit with our budgets right? Well, Friday’s I spend sleeping cause I can’t go out anywhere as I’m too afraid to catch COVID, and all these reckless teens are partying it out causing quarantined to continue indefinitely cause they spread this disease everywhere.

Please, someone needs to get this vaccine out fast.

I think you should look at the statistics for how COVID affects younger people. For people under 30, it’s less deadly than the flu especially so with young kids.

Frybird101:

I think you should look at the statistics for how COVID affects younger people. For people under 30, it’s less deadly than the flu especially so with young kids.

I think you should look at the statistics for how COVID kills older people. For people under 30, they can pass it on and be responsible for their deaths.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

@earthwalker7 what are you having to drink? I feel for an old fashioned but need to buy some bitters. I know.. who doesn’t have bitters? I need to get some. Orange bitters are particularly good for old fashioneds btw

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

My hedge fund tanked with the crash so I was out of a job, but I got into an MBA business schools">M7 MBA for the fall so fuck it. Now I'm hanging at my parent's rural home interning remotely for a startup. This summer is a lot less cool than the months of travel backpacking I had planned, but I'm learning things and having new experiences. Biggest downside is you can't meet new people at all, so my somewhat limited friend network + lack of a girlfriend is feeling quite depressing.

Fucking rough, but holding my head up. Internship was cancelled this summer. Moved back in with parents for the summer so I’m not getting laid. Whole family tested positive for Covid (moderate symptoms thankfully). Networking has shown me it might be a bloody job market when I graduate. Frequent anxiety attacks. Nevertheless, still working out, eating healthy, aggressively networking for FT, brushing up on technicals, and growing out my flowing mane. Might try to rock the american psycho flow for a bit since I don’t plan on getting my hair cut any time soon.

Not anything overall negative in particular, invested a whole lot of money decking my fucking rooftop terrace out only to find out that birds shit on your terrace a lot. Bought 10L of outdoor cleaning spray and a new brush.

Worth noting is that I confirmed that my sole identity doesn't hinge on myself going to the gym 6 days a week. Liberating, really.

Doing dry July, but a figurative toast to all of those who pick themselves up after a beat up from life.

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

Voluptate fugiat unde delectus similique ab dolor quia consequatur. Quia praesentium soluta accusamus dolor.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”