2024 Job Market

For those looking, how's the job hunt going in the new year so far?

For myself, started a search before the end of the year, which I saw wasn't the best timing. Since the start of the year, seen an uptick in roles out there landing some interviews, but not secured anything new yet. I'm mostly seeing that there isn't a rush for shops to immediately hire but perhaps with bonuses rolling out we should see a bit more activity over the next several weeks.

It’s still a pretty horrible job market but there are definitely more postings than there were in the last few months. There’s insane competition per spot though. You can tell there’s starting to be some interest in RE from those laid off from more traditional finance roles.

Bonuses seemed pretty poor across the board based on conversations with friends, family and what I’m seeing online. Most people understand that times are tough but they’re still not happy about poor comp. I expect a big game of musical chairs to start as bonuses are paid out. 

I do think things are starting to turn back around and shops that don’t start hiring are going to miss out on the deal flow to come, or have their current staff get crushed by the workload. There’s more interest rate certainty and a good possibility of rate cuts at some point this year.

GPLP777

What's your reasoning for that? Very curious as I'm at a tax credit syndicator. We definitely had a slower year and don't expect hiring to pick up. 

If the legislation passes for reduction in 50% test and 12.5% allocation, it will take a lot of half baked projects off the sidelines. One thing that might make it tricky is states with the state credit may not be able to match the increase 1 for 1. Time will tell. 

development is just totally dead, trying to look for other roles in the area but not much coming up. As far those who are still playing i did interview with a shop that was looking to use EB5 funding didn't realize the program was still around. I'm getting a little concerned and am thinking about making a different pivot for right now because current shop is just giving me such bad vibes with so many deals struggling to finish.

Most Helpful

Seeing more and currently interviewing with a couple, but the more I learn about each of the companies I'm interviewing with the less excited I am. Don't feel like any of them are going to be long term fits as most are new entrants into the market and don't seem to have a clear grasp on what they are doing. We'll see though.

I only see it in AM as many firms realized they couldn't skate by with poor AM when times got tough. Lots of people are starting to look as their severance is ending in a couple months. Roles are opening but seems they are being very particular who they move to the final rounds, aka lots of competition. I think firms know it'll turn and sees the light at the end of the tunnel but the slight uptick in activity doesn't justify a hiring increase. We are only hiring for roles that had people leave or were let go due to performance and filling them only with qualified candidates. I've been thinking Q2 we will see a bounce back, though if bonuses are bad and the market has turned their will be stiff competition from the people laid off and the people that are upset about their bonuses. 

I'm gathering this vibe as well. Shops really seem to be hiring in replacement of a seat that was previously filled or if they're growing it's very modest with maybe one person to add at the most and to fill a seat that's mostly on the asset management side of the business.

Connected with a friend who's at a debt shop that i used to work at, he let me know that the total volume of deals originated in 2023 is basically cut in half compared to the prior year. Definitely a tough pill to swallow.

It's crazy in MF Agencies saw a 25% or more reduction in Volume in Originations and CRE/CLO was down even more. There was a solid 4ish month period were a new one wasn't priced in the mkt. Crazy part is many of these ABS and CMBS are in distressed metrics now and people realize if they can't originate or lend other than bridge to bridge they need to make money off servicing and refinancing their current book of business, which requires them to meet stronger credit metrics. I've seen big bridge portfolios in distress due to over exposure to 1-2 borrowers that are defaulting on multiple properties both in their MF and Office. 

I even saw a bunch of jobs for bank AM in regards to Auto lending as the first Auto ABS defaulted this year in history. 

I think Summer 2024 we will start seeing some turn around as we have a election cycle coming with a stagnant economy after the Fed is slow to react and pushed back against the market over anticipating rate reductions, we haven't even really started the reduction in tapering which usually comes a couple meetings before the first rate cut. Issue is if we have a turn around summer 2024 you have 2-3 graduating classes looking for work in junior level positions plus all the people coming back into the market as severance runs out. 

Market still brutal. Seeing zero acquisition roles only asset management roles. It's tough, been searching for a new role for close to a year and now regretting not taking an offer I had late last year. Not sure what to do, have been close to getting roles with a couple of other companies but seems almost like an invisible force is preventing me from getting these jobs ( I'm sure it's just extremely competitive in this environment). Tough as well when you have very relevant experience and still may not get an interview from some of these companies.

Uptick in roles, but firms are taking their time like you said. Spoke to a few people through connections, seems it's taking 2-3 weeks+ to go through resumes if not longer. Applied to a role the first week, spoke to them a week later and they said it'll be another few weeks before they set up initial rounds (3-4 weeks before an initial interview).

Unfortunately seems like it'll take time and I know a lot of Masters students who graduated in May and are looking for a job so they're in an even worse spot.

By networking I don't mean new connections / coffee chats. I'm directly referring to leveraging your existing network. In my case it was the ex-executive where I was laid off from knew the C-suite executive I was interviewing with. My interview was a coffee chat of 10 - minutes after which he asked me to ignore the recruiter who they had originally given the mandate to source the position from.

To be clear, I was fortunate to avoid any layoffs and am still employed. I was selectively looking at roles before the rate hikes went crazy and now just taking recruiter calls to get the comp then say no.

To your question, I think explaining what skills you’ve worked on and hobbies/travel you’ve done during the gap go a long way. As an employed person, I get it shit happens and for more junior roles it’s often out of your control. Prove to them that you haven’t been a reactive job searcher by saying I’ve fine tuned this and this with my underwriting, actively participated in a CRE association (NAIOP, ULI, whatever). Just demonstrate that you’re not stagnantly waiting around for a role.

Kinda tough to decipher what’s real and what’s not. I’m seeing postings but not sure if shops are serious about hiring or are only looking for perfect candidate.

Also want to mention that there are a good number of firms who hire silently through recruiters. Basically there are no postings or mentioning of an open role but then you’ll see someone mentioned that they are starting a new role at XYZ firm. Recruiters are ultimately the gatekeepers for those kinds of roles (unfortunately).

Yeah this really needs to be emphasized. My firm is highly competitive / pays really well and we’ve never posted a position publicly. And we also don’t have a consistent recruiter we use so you need to be on every recruiters radar. Sometimes we use random ones.

Recently we hired a recruiter that simply didn’t collect many resumes that were a great fit. If you were in front of that recruiter, your resume would’ve easily made it and you would’ve looked great compared to the other candidates bc the recruiter did such a bad job. So don’t write off the random recruiters - every now and then they’ll get a good mandate 

The job market feels far from hot right now. Supposedly there are more jobs in volume in these first two months of 2024 compared 2023. I'm actively browsing the market, but from what i see it looks mostly like entry level or service type jobs that have openings.

Anything in acquisitions and development are totally dead right now. The only things i'm seeing are in the affordable housing space but most of those shops are chasing people with true experience in that arena.

Desperate to leave my current shop, too many deals that are going bad and just generating a ton of work that yields very little return for us. I'll add in to say my shop just has bad management all together and has skated by when things are good.

Other than asset management, which seems to be the area hiring, any of you considering career alternatives until rates drop and the market is hot again? Kind of considering some back office roles that won't kill me mentally and physically, not many pros to staying where i'm at.

Aut dignissimos sed qui dolor adipisci at veniam. Suscipit natus facere numquam earum ut in. Est dolorum harum nulla laudantium ratione ducimus. Tenetur repellendus voluptates nesciunt aperiam. Maiores dolore assumenda non perspiciatis et blanditiis aut. Odio ratione consequatur qui est et voluptate.

Qui assumenda est dignissimos iste. Velit nobis aut explicabo sint. Natus debitis consequatur sed perferendis blanditiis tenetur aut. Distinctio deleniti vero facilis consectetur ut molestias voluptas iure. Unde distinctio deserunt consequatur qui. Assumenda ea iusto rerum ipsum et explicabo. Quas aperiam perspiciatis ea non aut provident nulla.

Ad eos quia corrupti voluptas numquam et nulla. Rerum est dolor ducimus qui. Voluptas est in assumenda mollitia. Neque mollitia pariatur fuga itaque aperiam quibusdam. Temporibus id laborum error ipsam.

Ut et est in laborum. Quasi quae corrupti voluptatem. Dolorum at quidem quia dolorem laboriosam et in. Quia dolore ea aut libero eveniet temporibus doloremque. Vel fugit et accusantium iure magni sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”