Status of Multifamily Development heading into 2023

What is everyone seeing out there right now and what are group's business plans looking like for 2023?

• Construction Loan Financing (terms, leverage, how are you getting projects financed)?

• Institutional Equity (terms changing, dropping deals, etc.)?

• Putting new projects together, managing pursuit costs (long feasibility/contract timelines, on pause, etc.)?

Most Helpful

Realistically I expect zero starts in 2023 and maybe 1-2 in 2024. Development costs need to come down at least 15%-20% before stuff starts pencilling (even if you assume exit caps of 5%-5.50%).

Financing - fucked. Banks sizing to a 10% DY. On their numbers that's 55% LTC (maybe even lower). How is that going to make sense at a cost of capital between 7% and 7.50% at funding?

Equity - say they want to do deals at 6.25%-6.50% untrended. Too bad yields on realistic underwriting are 5.50% now lol. 

Putting new projects together - maybe. Looking to hoard as much cash as we can and hope we make it.

Spot on!

I laugh when some LPs want you to use the best and most expensive GC, conservative rents and hit a 5.75 to 6 untended YOC!! Those sane LPs want to come in 3-6 months before construction starts. Want no part of horizontal/entitlement risk!

Most new deals are single digit, you can barely hit pref with softening rents as we go into winter.

You have to have a “if you build, they will come mentality”.

Good luck ladies and gents!!

We have a few deals starting in 2023 using HUD financing and debt that we secured attractive terms on a bit ago. Institutional equity hasn't been an issue on these deals we have coming up because the debt and land basis makes these deals much better than they other wise should be at market terms right now. And there's no way we would start pursuing new deals unless we get land for practically free or can get HUD debt faster than the normal timeline for approval. 

Should be noted that the HUD debt we are seeing are 70-80% LTC in the mid to high 5% interest rates, but the downside is that the process is extremely long and bureaucratic and no refi proceeds at stabilization. The IRR takes a hit but the equity multiples are slightly better and deals can get done. 

Total standstill here. No developments planned in pipeline and dont think we'll see any until Q3 2023. Hopefully I have a job by then.

Interesting.  I can't imagine that will be common.  Not a ton of developers who can afford to idle their entire team for a year; still have a lot of mouths to feed, a lot of overhead, and even if you do get back at it in September 2023 or whenever, it's still 9-12 months before you're breaking ground on your next project.  Almost two years without doing a deal will kill a significant number of firms.

Ozymandia

Total standstill here. No developments planned in pipeline and dont think we'll see any until Q3 2023. Hopefully I have a job by then.

Interesting.  I can't imagine that will be common.  Not a ton of developers who can afford to idle their entire team for a year; still have a lot of mouths to feed, a lot of overhead, and even if you do get back at it in September 2023 or whenever, it's still 9-12 months before you're breaking ground on your next project.  Almost two years without doing a deal will kill a significant number of firms.

Yup, but unfortunately many are in our shoes. Problem is construction costs. The past decade construction costs were increasing, but cheap capital and low rates helped us offset this. This no longer exists anymore. Construction costs are still increasing, sellers not giving discounts on land, entitlement process is even worse now. The only other benefit was rent growth was good enough to keep our YOC by completion okay, but rent growth is calming down now, although still increasing. We are self performing GC and literally we cannot build to more than a 4.5%-5% YOC untrended, which is scary because multifamily sales brokers are stating sales are stagnating because sellers think they can get a 3 cap and buyers want a 6 cap now. So theres virtually no point in building to a 4.5 YOC if the market is going to want a 5.5-6 cap deal. Its going to be tough times and your right its not sustainable and do imagine several firms to either pack up shop or do mass layoffs. I am already starting to look for a pivot out of here.

On the ground, we are no longer able to push rents. Some of that is that we are out of leasing season, but I think we hit the top of rents - at least in my markets for Class A. So that, combined with costs that somehow are still climbing (albeit slowly) and interest rates that are at least 100 bps above a realistic untrended ROC, is just f-ing brutal. I’ll let others build us out of being undersupplied of housing for the time being 

Interesting to see the "pencils down" approach by people here and I wonder if it's market-based. Obviously underwriting is more difficult and equity isn't blindly approving anything that comes across their desk anymore, but we're closing on a suburban garden deal today and have another two lined up for February/March. 

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Sit illum quibusdam voluptatem quis vel magni pariatur. Voluptatem voluptatem modi quam officia. Sit ut non dolor enim fugiat. Nihil neque enim aperiam rerum ipsa dolorum sunt. Vel architecto voluptatibus qui modi dolores aut. Vero labore quam officia qui. Totam debitis id aliquam sit velit est.

Saepe dicta maiores distinctio nesciunt dolorum consequatur. Dicta vitae sed rerum ab blanditiis. Cupiditate quia quia officiis magnam numquam. Nesciunt fuga praesentium dolor recusandae ipsa ducimus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”