SA 2015 Non-Target Resume Review. Tear it apart.

Hello monkeys,

I'm a junior at a non target, BA w/finance concentration major attending a non target state university. Trying to get SA at an IB firm for 2014. Wondering if y'all could take a look at my resume and give me some opinions. I have little finance experience so it's a bit intimidating but I'm trying my best. I want to experience higher finance. I would love to hear opinions on making me stand out as a professional in the eyes of the industry. Please tear it up and thanks again.

The formatting is very bad. What's going on with the horizontal lines? Use M&I/WSO template (I prefer M&I). Keep it conservative.

I also think you have way too many bullets - I need to be able to screen your resume in less than 30 seconds and right now I can't. Focus on the 2-3 experiences/projects that are most relevant for the job you're applying for and describe them in detail.

Do these two things (M&I/WSO template and cut down on bullets) and upload a new version.

I trimmed my resume significantly like you recommended, how is it so far?

I have two options under leadership and need to delete one.

One is volunteering at a non profit event and managing their auction and cash. The other is the VP of a business at club at a small college I previously had attended. Which is better?

Better. A few quick comments:

• Formatting needs to be perfect. Same margins to the right for everything, dates to be aligned to the right of the page, same spacing between paragraphs, consistent use of . after bullets etc. You should be able to see this yourself - otherwise you have bigger problems than your resume

• I would use the non-profit, the business club is a long time ago

• Explain what you actually did in the investment fund (did you build models? etc.) This doesn't tell me anything except that you "used research methods"

• Say ~25,000 to ~29,000 and recalculate the % gain (hint: it's about half)

Et fuga esse sed. Ratione voluptas quam est in sed vel reprehenderit. Non architecto iusto animi sed perferendis qui. Debitis cumque amet magni quia doloremque cumque magni.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”