Welcoming criticism (senior graduating June 2014, want to enter ER in Asia)

I'd appreciate it very much if anyone would take a look .

I am an Asian student in Asian country. I was lucky enough to land a SA at BB in 2012 but didn't get a return offer, with the official reason being that I was graduating in 2014 since I have to serve 1-year military conscription. Another side info is that target school in my country is not considered a target school in larger markets, or so I've heard.

I will be graduating in 2014 and applying to ER in hopefully HK/SG. If anyone would supply criticism on my resume I would be very much in your debt.

Thanks and regards.

EDIT (20130924):
main differences include:
1) Expanded on Bulge Bracket experience, added in 2 bullet (stock pitch, sector topic research)
2) Pulled up to sector level on Boutique technology team experience

Attachment Size
20130924_WSO.pdf 131.02 KB 131.02 KB

Best Response

Hello, I’d say from 30,000 feet that the resume looks good – or at least good enough to slide into an analyst role at a BB. What sector did you cover in the internship? I think your entire resume should revolve around this piece – maybe even consider moving the ‘work experience’ up. In order to stem the ignorance in HR, just give them what they are looking for immediately – that being equity research experience. I cover a technology subsector at a BB – if I were hiring I would look for the parallels between the resume and the sector of discussion. Otherwise, it looks good; keep you head up and keep networking.

Thank you for the advice SFTechUES. I was staffed on the consumer team for my SA. However, with our office transitioning and understaffed, I helped multiple teams and had a lot of requests coming from different sector teams.

With that being said, I will definitely try to clarify better what I did at the internship. Thanks again for the kind advice.

I assume you are smart enough to know this, but here is advise anyways: Based on the opportunities currently out there, if you actually (and I mean actually) covered the sector, you should definitely tailor your resume – that being said, make sure you don’t try to come across as an expert in that space, because you are not. It would be best to leave it at the major sector level – if the job is for Software, put technology, if it for footwear/retail, put consumer... Nothing pisses off an analyst more is when a kid gets in front of them and thinks they are shinning light on the segment.

Et dolor provident quia autem corrupti quia. Soluta temporibus voluptas necessitatibus quo porro omnis hic earum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”