Chance me for MBA [ 29/SE Asian American/Male/3.9 GPA/700 GMAT/~6 years WE/Ex Military]

Background

Work experience:

2 year as an investment banking analyst at a top 5 elite boutique bank ( reputation similar to Jefferies, Guggenheim, or RBC) in New York. Follow with

4 years US Navy Officer SWO

Extra curriculars:

I was involved in student government throughout undergrad. Got elected and served as senator and my party leader in the student senate.

Avid Hip-Hop dancer. Lead choreographer of my school hip-hop team. Have won some city competitions and awards.

Toastmasters competitor. Have won some local speaking competitions.

Undergrad school/major:

Double major Economics & Finance, with honors

Top 50 Public School in the Rocky Mountain Area

**Other education/coursework:

Race/nationality:**

SE Asian American ( immigrated to the U.S in high school)

Sex:

Male

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 700 Q47, V39

Undergrad GPA: 3.9 ( Phi Beta Kappa & Summa Cum Laude)

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: Short term is VC/Growth Equity. Long term is to run my own company

Target schools: H/S/W/Columbia/Booth.

I appreciate any feedback

[Edit: I did 2 years in IB before joining the Navy. ]

Most Helpful

First, thank you for your service!

Your professional experience in the military coupled with a successful transition to the private sector will serve you well.

Your extracurriculars feel rather self-serving so you may want to look for ways to showcase leadership, teamwork (probably in hip hop?) and even innovation in this involvement. Use the next 5-6 months to build this up.

A 3.9 from undergrad will serve you well but I would advise you to retake the GMAT and shoot for a 730+ that would put you at the averages for the schools you list.

It is imperative that you do your research on each program so you can answer not just why MBA? and why now? but also why THIS program?

Check out: How to Transition from the Military to Business School

Wishing you the best on your MBA application journey. Susan

Susan Cera Director of MBA Admissions Stratus Admissions Counseling - www.stratusadmissions.com FREE Profile Evaluation - www.stratusadmissions.com/consult

Thanks for clarifying! Having worked in IB prior to your military service is a slightly different trajectory than most. In your applications you will want to explain why you left IB to go into the service and what motivates you to return to the investment space. I would presume that you have developed transferable skills that you can showcase. Your 'why MBA?' will also need to touch on the areas that you need to develop to achieve your goals.

I encourage you to leverage the military clubs as a point of contact for the your research. If your schedule allows, look to attend a few of the military days/weekends that are aimed specifically at recruiting military candidates.

Stratus is running a contest to win a FREE Application Fundamentals and Strategy package ($1595 value). Enter here to win ! The winner will work with a Stratus counselor through a series of introspection and self-reflection exercises and develop a personalized MBA strategy.

All the best, Susan

Susan Cera Director of MBA Admissions Stratus Admissions Counseling - www.stratusadmissions.com FREE Profile Evaluation - www.stratusadmissions.com/consult

Thank you for your service.

Your grades, military service, and work experience are impressive and competitive at your target programs. I'm concerned that your GMAT is on the low side for the programs that you are aiming for and that you're coming from a group (investment bankers) who tend to do well on the GMAT. Unless you really don't think you can raise it, I'd advise a retake. Consider upgrading your prep method to improve your score.

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Velit cupiditate amet debitis repellat neque aut. Quos nesciunt sed laborum sunt dicta. Adipisci vero repellat omnis aliquam.

Vel fuga est rem laboriosam est et impedit. Quidem deserunt in ex assumenda ea nesciunt. In cupiditate dolorum soluta nam. Molestiae qui quod ad aut aliquid iusto voluptas.

Vel placeat rerum molestiae nam aut distinctio natus. Delectus amet harum porro quas aut.

Nulla ea error quis rerum aut velit voluptatibus. Harum ipsum aspernatur illum a est aut hic sit. Ut amet quisquam vero reiciendis quia ullam. Aliquam unde omnis minima.

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”