Better Investing a 100k dollars

Hi Experts:

Could you please share some good and bad experiences of how one would split and invest 100k dollars.
What to do and what to avoid.

Achievable aim is to have 4-7% month/annual compounding APY over next 6-7 years. Hope this point makes a little sense and not too overwhelming.

Kindly share your experiences.

Thank you.

Thanks Jos1p. That helps.

Also, It would be good to know any dos and don't when choosing S&P options.

Any idea about deal with mutual funds /index funds choosing ( 90 % stocks, 10 % bonds/funds or more split for funds )

any better long run and understood margins that provide atleast 2.5 - 4 % APY in above category. That would help others in general know how of investing.

Best Response

Don't bother with mutual funds unless you're trying to crush the market, and even then, probably stay away. Just invest in the S&P500 yourself, you can do so through an etf such as SPY. Generally, investors do a bond and stock split, but I suspect it's because they need lower volatility in case they need to use the money or they have certain milestones like child's college that they need to use the money. I personally don't bother with doing a stock and bond split. The way I see it is that the S&P500 is as safe as it gets. If it drops, then I can just wait, because eventually it will rebound. And if it doesn't rebound, that's indicative of another big problem. (The 500 largest market cap companies are collectively doing something significantly wrong AND investors continue selling without buying these companies back). If you really want to learn investing, rather than earning money, I would recommend that you put 90% of your portfolio in the S&P500, and trade 10% of it on fundamental or technical or whatever you heard on stocktwits / some random forum / a friend who's just guessing. Some people enjoy the thrill of gambling, and I respect that, just don't bet too much of your portfolio. Occasionally, I'll put 1 - 2% in high risk / high reward type situation. For example, I currently have about 1% of my portfolio in SWN, HCLP, and MMLP. But the rest of it is spread out accross the S&P500, Dow Jones, and Nasdaq, with a heavier weighting on the S&P500. In terms of options, I'd stay away from them, unless you understand what they are and you have a really good reason that has a very high chance of coming true. Options have an expiration date, and you can't just hold onto them and hope they rebound. Of course, you could sell covered calls to help you get to your goal. If you only care about getting say 7% a year, and don't care if you miss out on getting like 10%, then selling covered calls could be a good idea. It'd be even better if there was a high implied volatility during the period that you sold them, but you don't need to worry too much about this. Learning how to invest takes a very long time, so you shouldn't risk your life savings doing so. You can take it 1 step at a time. Reading a lot regarding current events and their impacts on trading sentiment and economic indicators would also help to give you a big picture.

Enim necessitatibus sit doloribus id. Quod sint et eveniet nobis. Incidunt maiores illo aliquid harum.

Sint praesentium praesentium pariatur dolores modi quasi. Esse nemo corrupti minus qui. Sunt quia autem porro itaque est. Assumenda nihil consequatur omnis.

Eum odit aperiam quas quia ipsam id consectetur sint. Voluptatum rerum animi recusandae nostrum ea sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”