10/14/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

What if Goldman Sachs & J.P. Morgan merged together?
Post By @JackTheBad"

What if Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan merged together?

What makes a good short?
Post By @Emily-Muhleman"

There are numerous danger signs that could nearly allow me to write a book on this topic, so I will compress my answer to my key considerations and thought process when evaluating short candidates. I will also detail several key danger signs and irregularities which I look for.

Q&A: 3rd Year PE Associate ($10bn+ AUM, MBO/LBO, equity, mezz, distressed debt)
Post By @NuckFuts"

I used to be quite active on WSO under a different name (before and up to the Eddie / MMM days) until IB turned me into a lurker. WSO played a big part in helping me land the IB gig initially, so when I mentor young bankers or college students, one of my first few questions to them is whether they have joined this community.

Q&A- High Yield/Distressed Debt Sell Side Analyst
Post By @chmpnarcher"

I am a second year analyst at a boutique broker/dealer from a non-target state school. Also a CFA Level 2 candidate, I have decent exposure to multiple sectors, e.g. oil & gas, metals & mining, and retail. We publish mostly on high yield or distressed debt situations, as well as some special situation equities (spin-offs, risk arb, etc).

How did Trump do last night?
Post By @BillBelichick37"

I think he somewhat helped his case but seems like it was not enough.

Personal Podiums and Alpha Dogs
Post By @The Uncontortionist"

Is it really the case that Americans, and perhaps people around the world, believe that people with more "attractive" traits are actually more capable? Are we, as a species, so driven to be led by an alpha that we are actually blinded by physical traits, to the point where we choose less talented people who better fit the bill instinctively?

Lord of the Billionaire Flies
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

Picture this: you wake up one morning to find yourself living in a shipping container. You step outside and see that you are not alone. There are dozens of shipping containers strung together on a floating platform, creating a sort of trailer park Alcatraz. You can see a tiny island in the distance, and the GPS on your phone tells you that you are somewhere in the middle of the South Pacific.

When Did You Start Saving for Your Retirement?
Post By @AlphaDog56"

When did you start saving for retirement? I personally have a Roth-IRA since I started working, but what other options are there on the market for those without a regular 401k?

Top target...Meh bank: Route to PE?
Post By @Uncreative Banker"

I am curious if anyone who has gone through the process or been in my position in the past has any advice?

Why you should take cold showers for a week
Post By @WheyOfLife"

I started a cold shower challenge two days ago and I am really digging it. Tomorrow morning when you are feeling like crap after 5 hours of sleep, take a cold shower; there is no harm in trying.

Best Response

Vitae placeat voluptatem fuga quidem dolorum culpa sed recusandae. Quis et ab id saepe numquam. Dolores quae molestiae ad doloribus id corrupti.

Nihil sed laboriosam qui voluptatem nihil id qui et. Sapiente quam occaecati hic eum aut mollitia provident.

Eaque repellat sit vitae laborum. Nam ipsam recusandae odit. Tempore tenetur voluptatem tenetur esse ex quis sed autem.

What is a Signature?

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”