~$150k ($250k total) of Cash to Invest In

Hey all,

Been thinking of rebalancing my personal investment portfolio. Currently have ~150k+ in cash, $100k in preferreds. Choose preferreds as a go-to strategy at first because of tax advantage & ~7% annual coupon. Not sure what to invest in given equity valuations are at high, and dumping it in the S&P seems risky at this point...although should not time the market over a 30+ year horizon. I have a pretty deep understanding of securities analysis, and been doing some deep dives on companies, but not ready to pull the trigger on a 30k position in a single company (probably why Im on the sellside...BANC gave me a f'king heart attack)

Am 27 in finance, risk tolerance medium (feel free to let me know if I need to be more specific).

Not looking to blindly follow but rather cultivate some ideas, know many of you here have a much better understanding of personal finance than I do.

Thanks!!!

Best Response

I won't give you any advice but I'll describe what I'm currently doing with my investments if it can help you find some ideas from there. Btw I'm sellside as well, interested in views of other professionals from the buyside.

I'm keeping my age as a % of my overall portfolio in bonds and treasuries (I'm 27 as well, so 27% - and I rebalance every once in a while). The rest is split between: - 50% in "core" stocks: large cap names, indices, defensive stocks like airport/utilities etc - 25% in a sector rotation strategy, so its currently sitting in oil&gas and mining and it's been doing very well since the beginning of this year. My general thinking for this particular sector was that development projects for these companies were based on unrealistic continued demand growth from Asia/China, so an economic slowdown with an oversupply coming online hit them hard (I'm simplifying ob. but that's my general idea). The companies that are still here today have turned it around and are operating in a low commodity price environment. Because I'm bullish on China over the long term, I believe they are strongly exposed to massive upside. When that happens I'll move on to allocate that 25% to the next sector I believe is undervalued (betting on infra/utilities to crash next) - 15% in region ETFs, currently mostly exposed to Europe - again I believe the uncertainty caused by brexit and the slow growth in the region is priced in. Being bullish on that region for the long term makes European investment vehicles undervalued IMHO - 10% play money: trading random stuffs when I feel I can profit from a short term trade (anything from FX, gold, options etc.)

I'm also starting to educate myself in property investing, with the aim of developing a property portfolio in undervalued regions (I'm planning a trip to Spain for that), and also being able to generate a second stream of passive income if I can set it properly from the start.

Anyways, good luck!

Voluptatem labore optio suscipit est perspiciatis quia. Quia et amet et occaecati.

Quod eius eos consequatur cum omnis et. Est expedita ducimus quaerat. Occaecati distinctio expedita minima culpa nihil. Aspernatur est sit et sed itaque.

Mollitia quo aut eveniet. Occaecati distinctio qui temporibus omnis voluptatibus ullam deserunt. Reiciendis eius blanditiis aliquam omnis ratione. Officiis ut voluptatum illo recusandae.

Distinctio iusto officia iste tempora sunt. Maxime consequatur neque ad laboriosam possimus quos. Iusto praesentium sit non labore et quo. Qui omnis dolorem et recusandae voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”