9/16/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

A Few Observations on Banking Exit Opps
Post By @StateofNature"

Here are some of my observations to overthrow the "insights" and advice that a lot of high school or college kids posted on this forum. Topics include exit opportunities, how people should think about exit opportunities, which groups are best, etc.

HF PM Q&A
Post By @Martinghoul"

I have been in the market for almost 15 years, specializing in global rates. Currently, I am a PM at a reasonably large macro fund ($9bn AUM). Prior to this, I was a PM working for a macro/rates group within a very large multi-strategy firm. I will be happy to elaborate on my background in the Q&A.

Kotler's Four Migrations
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

I was listening to James Altucher's podcast a couple of weeks ago and his guest was Steven Kotler. For those who do not know, Kotler is a popular futurist who has written several books about what we can expect and he was right more often than he was wrong. We can already witness some of these migrations happening, so let us take them one at a time and figure out what we know.

What I Wish Every First Year Analyst Knew
Post By @Gotham's Reckoning"

As I shared this list with the first years at my firm, I made it clear that my goal for them is to help them get as efficient and as fast as possible, make less mistakes, and go home earlier (which means I get to go home earlier) while looking like rock stars in the eyes of senior bankers.

8 Year Anniversary
Post By @DickFuld"

September 15 was the eighth year anniversary of the collapse of Lehman Brothers. Discuss.

Do You Work Sick?
Post By @Fear The Bulge"

Well, Hillary Clinton is not the only one hiding dirty secrets about her health. I was sitting at my desk with wads of Kleenex under my arms and some baby powder on my temples. I was working on a word document; the family doctor told me to write whatever I wanted and he would put on his company's letterhead and sign it.

Two Internships Don’t Equal a Job: My journey from an NGO to a VC
Post By @Isaac-Gross"

When people ask me about my career, I simply tell them that after becoming disillusioned with non-profit work, I went to London Business School to transition to a role at an investment firm. In reality, the shift was much more complicated than that. The following is a comprehensive history of how I went from working for a nonprofit to a venture capital:

Cold Emailing Failed, What went wrong?
Post By @tj.mendsea"

Last week I started cold emailing to network and receive some feedback on my investment report. I emailed over 200 people and sent 15 LinkedIn group messages. However, I never received any responses. What went wrong?

AMA - Big 4 Audit to Boutique M&A Shop
Post By @rp-53"

I graduated from a non-target school with an accounting degree and worked for a big 4 firm in their audit practice for about 2 years. Subsequently, I moved on to a big 3 credit rating agency and was there for a little under a year before landing an IB analyst role at a boutique. Happy to answer any question.

Classical musicians in IBD
Post By @deMaestro"

Are there any fellow instrument playing monkeys on WSO? How were you perceived in applications for finance jobs, particularly BB IBD? Did you make it into a top firm?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”