Middle Business FP&A to F500 FP&A?

Hello,

I've worked towards and finally obtained a Financial Analyst job with a medium sized company (>$1,000,000,000 in revenue). I work at an operations site with the following responsibilities:

*Organize/responsible for two Budget/Operating plans (one >$100 million in revenue on site and another >$10,000,000) & Reforecasts, etc.
*Create monthly report for senior management (site P&L, variance analysis, safety stats, lots of operational statistics, etc.)
*Participate in month end closing process, reclassifying project labor & other expenses to appropriate accounts, etc.
*Oversee site's AP process, double check correct application of sales & use tax, etc. (I have to approve over one thousand transactions a week).
*Oversee & audit payroll.
*Oversee creation of weekly on-site management reports.
*Monitor product performance vs. customer contract specs, communicate concerns with operations managers if we are not meeting our goals.
*Report various required information to regulatory authorities.
*Eyes and ears of our accounting/finance department on-site.
*Occasionally have the opportunity to examine various business opportunities and their impact on earnings.
*Lots of miscellaneous tasks, including being the on-site IT guy basically since no one else on-site knows how to trouble shoot a PC and the regional IT guy is normally at least a hour removed from helping.

Concerns:

*Despite rapid growth, most of the people in my role have stayed in that role for years.
*Limited professional development and guidance from above. Seems to be a general acceptance that my position is a dead-end job for most people.
*Long work weeks are the norm (at least 55 a week normally), but the compensation leaves a lot to be desired.

I like what I'm doing in general, but I would like to make more money and have confidence that there is at least the possibility of getting promoted in the future. Working at a F500 company would be great too.

What would you all recommend? I have just a year of experience in this type of role. Should I wait it out for a few years then try? Should I try for a finance development program since I only have like two years of professional experience past college?

Thank you for any advice. I'm sort of a weird case.

Nothing keeping you from exploring your options right now - F500 roles are generally stable so if you land one and are willing to grind through for two years, its likely you will have a promotion in title and will be able to move on if necessary. If you are not excited about where you are right now, I would update your resume, and start applying elsewhere casually. Get some good stuff ready for fall recruiting.

A FDP type role is always a great way to get a better feel for what you actually like - I am applying to one this summer.

Keep in mind that getting stuck in a dead end role you don't like is worse than the negative view someone might take of you leaving a role "early".

Still not sure if I want to spend the next 30+ years grinding away in corporate finance and the WSO dream chase or look to have enough passive income to live simply and work minimally.

Ullam provident ipsam et beatae qui quos. Architecto omnis eum quis aliquid. Ut et et fugit et. Quas ullam molestiae velit qui et rem facere non. Harum non fugit ullam doloribus similique et laboriosam. Molestiae sequi reprehenderit magnam et. Cupiditate sit aut qui expedita quod.

Sed ab labore voluptas qui harum voluptatem perferendis. Laborum ut quaerat dolores molestiae dolorem quae.

Architecto numquam non enim reiciendis accusamus autem veritatis optio. Et quaerat vel natus esse natus blanditiis.

Debitis quidem architecto consectetur voluptas. Praesentium odit non aut minima. Voluptates quis molestiae in alias et sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”