Valuations at a smaller MM firm (~1,000 employees) or Tax Consulting at an upper tier consulting firm?

Hello, I’m currently deciding between a valuations role at a smaller firm MM firm and a tax consulting role at an upper tier consulting firm. Basically the tax role pays $10k+ what the Big4 pays and is a great firm with a great reputation. However, they’re not really known for their tax work, but rather their private equity or Rx practices. The smaller MM firm would give me to exposure to valuations and I’d be working with the TAS a little bit from my understanding. My thing is I don’t want to be condemned to tax but I also don’t want to work at a worse firm for less. I really would like to internal transfer at the larger firm if I could down the line but Ik this is extremely hard for tax. My career goals are to go to a top mba school down the line and I am really interested in Rx banking/consulting. What would you recommend?

Based on the most helpful WSO content, making a decision between a valuations role at a smaller MM firm and a tax consulting role at an upper-tier consulting firm requires careful consideration of your long-term career goals and interests. Here are some insights to guide your decision:

1. Career Path and Interests: If your ultimate goal is to move into Rx banking/consulting, the valuations role might offer more relevant experience. Valuations work is closely related to transactions and can provide a solid foundation in financial analysis and modeling, which are crucial skills in restructuring (Rx) and investment banking.

2. Exposure and Learning Opportunities: The smaller MM firm's valuations role, with some exposure to Transaction Advisory Services (TAS), could offer a more hands-on experience in the transactions space. This could be beneficial for building a skill set that's attractive for Rx banking/consulting roles.

3. Reputation and Firm Prestige: While the upper-tier consulting firm has a great reputation and pays more, it's important to consider the relevance of their reputation to your desired career path. If they're not known for their tax work, consider how this might impact your ability to transfer internally or leverage this experience for roles in Rx banking/consulting.

4. MBA and Future Opportunities: Both roles could potentially lead to a top MBA program, but it's essential to consider which role will give you the experiences and stories that align with your MBA and career goals. Valuations work, especially if it involves strategy/transaction consulting, might be viewed more favorably by MBA admissions committees for candidates targeting finance careers.

5. Long-Term Vision vs. Short-Term Compensation: While the tax consulting role offers higher immediate compensation, weigh this against your long-term career aspirations. If the valuations role aligns more closely with your goals, it might be worth considering even at a lower salary.

In conclusion, based on your interest in Rx banking/consulting and goal to attend a top MBA program, the valuations role at the smaller MM firm seems to align more closely with your career objectives. It's crucial to prioritize the role that offers the best alignment with your long-term goals over short-term financial gains.

Sources: Q&A: Big Four Valuation Associate - Deciding Whether This Job Is Right For You, Which Offer Should I Take? (Analyst at Valuation & Advisory Services VS. Capital Markets), Ask Me Anything - Federal Consulting at a Tier Two Firm, Is Management Consulting just a glorified Audit?, Q&A: Big Four Valuation Associate - Deciding Whether This Job Is Right For You

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

Having worked in tax and knowing how difficult it was for me to move to finance, I’d take the valuation role. You’ll be armed and dangerous when the market opens up again to pivot to banking, MBA, consulting, etc. the 10k is real but it’s a rounding error over the course of a decades long career IMO

Awesome I really appreciate that advice, do you think due to the smaller size of the firm I’m limited on transferring over or lateraling? I think I’ll get great exposure at the smaller firm I’m just concerned about transferring to a larger valuations program like the big 4 after or lateraling to a more finance oriented position.

Natus delectus quia voluptatum. Voluptas dolores ad nesciunt rem voluptatibus. Architecto est saepe mollitia animi dolorem eos et. Aliquam totam sint aut facilis sed. Expedita minus sint praesentium numquam beatae.

Ut quasi voluptatem rem aperiam. Qui rerum doloribus et quis. Perspiciatis iure assumenda enim aut fuga. Deserunt exercitationem nesciunt cupiditate vero et est porro. Omnis nemo nemo maiores rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (189) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”