HI, feel free to PM me to discuss. Im at a macro fund as well. If you have 6-7 years from an MBA and are producing seems based on your credentials your underpaid by 50% easy. (I know some salaries around my firm for analysts)

frooter:

HI, feel free to PM me to discuss. Im at a macro fund as well.
If you have 6-7 years from an MBA and are producing seems based on your credentials your underpaid by 50% easy. (I know some salaries around my firm for analysts)

He is more like 75% underpaid if not worse. I am 3 years in out of undergrad and my total comp (base + bonus + deferred) significantly exceed that; and I consider myself being paid street average.

Wow that's low. Good luck man cause it sounds like you deserve more than that.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

Holy shit. Is this in the US?

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

1) You're significantly underpaid.

2) I'd start reaching out to headhunters and your network to see what else is out there and what the market rate for you is. If you want to stay at your current fund than take those offers to them as leverage for a raise / change in comp structure.

If your all in comp is 100k what's the base/bonus split?

Edit: Are you in a non-traditional / low COL area?

[quote=patternfinder]Of course, I would just buy in scales. [/quote] See my WSO Blog | my AMA

Also, if youre fund is using your ideas you should be getting an X amount of PnL, ie you need to demand your own book and work off that if your ideas are in fact making money

10% would seem reasonable to ask given the info your provided.

While I don't disagree with the consensus here that you're relatively underpaid, it may not be by all that much when you consider two other things - how many analysts and support staff are there at your firm, and are your ideas making money? If your P&L has been negative (even if due to things that weren't your fault/bad luck/mistakes by the PM) then frankly any comp range is understandable. And if there haven't been any incentive fees to work with, how many ways is the 15-40m (I'm assuming 1.5-2% of 1-2bn) management fee being split? Compliance and administrative overhead adds up fast and if your shop is very institutionalized and you're part of a large team, especially if the funds don't bear the cost of research-related travel and other expenses, it may not be all that profitable a business even for the partners.

All that said, your experience is definitely marketable, especially if you are good. May as well look around, quietly.

Best Response

i will as often the case take a contrary view. The fund is on the whole down and you guys are over-staffed so there is no money to pay people. Even if ur ideas are profitable at a smaller fund you always run the risk that someone else loses the money u have made and you can't be paid...this is called "netting risk". 100k is about the normal base salary for a PM at a hedge fund...when they don't make money trading that is what they get also. There are very few hedge funds out there where people who are contributing trading ideas get paid even when the firm loses money.

If i was you i would use this bad year to try to get a firm pay-out on your trades going forward but understand that unless u r at a massive fund that can cover pay with management fees you are always subject to netting risk...that is just part of the business. I have seen specific cases where guys have not been paid millions that they earned because other guys at the firm lost even more then they made...as u can imagine this does wonders for morale and no doubt creates frustrated posts to message boards such as above. It is this type of thing that makes working for the larger funds attractive.

Quia numquam aspernatur ea. Ipsam cupiditate et natus doloribus nulla. Architecto non rerum et doloribus molestiae sunt. Dolore eligendi dolorem perspiciatis ullam qui.

Quos ipsam fuga numquam facilis voluptatem laudantium. Ut odit alias qui excepturi. Quis est omnis aut excepturi. Ipsum facere fugit voluptatem voluptatem sint unde est.

"I do not think that there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature."

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (23) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (251) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”