2024 FT recruiting outlook London

I am currently a final-year student at a target uni in Europe (think HEC / Bocconi) with prior internship experience in IB and PE. I did my last internship at one of the top US BBs (GS/MS) and received an offer from one of their strongest teams. However, for various reasons, I really do not want to go back there. Hours are the most brutal in the industry (weeks pretty much never below 100h), culture is horrible and I am not very interested in the industry. 

As such, I figured I would be in a good spot to recruit for FT at other banks in London and leverage my existing FT offer. It then turned out that almost no banks at all recruited for FT 2024 during this fall. As a result, I am hoping that some of the banks will instead do some FT 2024 recruiting during the first half of 2024. What's the outlook on 2024 FT positions recruiting for London during the first half of 2024?

Based on the most helpful WSO content, the outlook for 2024 FT recruiting in London during the first half of the year can be somewhat unpredictable. However, historically, there have been instances where banks have opened up FT recruiting in the first half of the year, often depending on their needs post-bonus season and the outcomes of their intern conversion rates. Here are a few points to consider:

• Bonus Season Impact: Banks may reassess their hiring needs after bonus season when they have a clearer picture of team headcounts and attrition rates.

• Intern Conversion Rates: If the conversion rates from summer analyst programs to full-time offers are lower than expected, banks might look to fill those gaps with new full-time hires.

• Networking: It's crucial to maintain your network and stay in the loop with contacts at various banks. Sometimes, FT recruiting opportunities are not widely advertised and are filled through internal referrals or networking.

• Leverage Your Offer: Having a standing offer from a top US BB is a strong leverage point. Make it known to potential employers that you have this offer, as it demonstrates your desirability as a candidate.

• Stay Informed: Keep an eye on the WSO job board, company career pages, and reach out to recruiters early in the year to inquire about potential openings.

• Be Flexible: Consider expanding your search beyond the most prestigious banks or roles if the market is tight. Boutique banks, regional firms, or different financial sectors might offer valuable opportunities.

Remember, the market can be fluid, and while there's no guarantee of FT recruiting in the first half of 2024, being proactive and well-prepared can increase your chances of landing a position that aligns with your career goals and personal preferences. Keep hustling, and good luck!

Sources: London (Dutch) FT recruiting, FT recruiting timeline London, Full Time Recruiting outlook for 2021, 2019 FT Analyst Recruiting Timeline, London FT 2023: Any success stories?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

I would definitely take the offer and try to lateral after one year.

The chance of you getting an FT offer for next summer in an unrelated bank, especially when you did your internship in France (GS Paris/HEC if I understand this right), is low.

If you take the offer and do 1 year you will literally be able to go almost anywhere, and if GS you can easily lateral to London.

Thanks for the advice! Is there a reason why a FT offer from a bank like GS in Paris would not yield good chances when recruiting in London? In the vast majority of cases, French internships are longer, more technical, and more difficult to convert vs. London internships.

Agree with others, would stick it out for a bit and then move. At my bank (and I suspect other banks), we typically over-recruit FT/interns by 10% to allow for reneges / people changing their minds so chances that banks re-open recruitment for FT 2024 in early 2024 is slim. Although activity is picking up so requirements could change and there may be selective additional hires.

Quia repellendus dolorum et laudantium est porro distinctio. Tenetur consequatur sunt quidem in animi dolorem. Quae cumque ab dolorem molestiae eos nobis sed.

Deserunt possimus magni in voluptatem consectetur illum ut. Vel dignissimos maiores saepe aut. Assumenda aut cupiditate esse similique.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”