London FT 2023: Any success stories?

As you all know, FT recruiting for IB has been remarkably harder this year, mainly due to limited spots and general macroeconomic instability. Nevertheless, many have managed to secure offers despite this situation; so to all the fortunate ones - tell me more about your story:

• What's your profile? 
  • Which bank will you join? (or type of bank if anonymous)
  • Any differences you noticed from previous recruiting cycles?

Know a European girl at target with relevant internships who managed to secure JPM's AC, that's all I know ! 

I have a BB internship and only got ONE first-round from a semi-target, compared to 10+ last year. My friend at an Italian target has only had 1 AC, no offer, and he has regional boutique experience. So it's varied, but extremely tough this year.

Thx for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, what industries are you thinking of applying to in case IB fails - AM, MBB

1 year masters student at LBS/LSE/Oxbridge with no european languages but with IB and PE internships, recruited for 2022 SA/FT/OC last year and got 10+ first rounds and quite a few ACs (GS, BX, EBs) in London, did a summer in banking after my masters, didn't enjoy my team so re-recruited for FT, only got 3 first rounds and managed to land an offer from one of them - definitely a very rough FT recruiting season (significantly less interest from firms compared to when I applied for SA in 2021) but ended up at my top choice - still see the occasional OC opportunities open up so there is definitely still demand for talent and headcount, just gotta keep an eye out and apply early - there are many 2022 SAs with no return offers looking for a job so the demand for positions is really high even though the supply is extremely scarce

i think persistence is important - look, it’s really fucking hard to write another application or send another cold email after being completely ignored, but at the end of the day it’s a numbers game - keep checking your career portals, keep talking to alums, keep throwing out apps (even those that u think are not extremely desirable) - you got this king

Pretty impressive, congrats! What’s your profile? What type of offer are we talking about (BB, EB, others?) ?

Mind explaining the recent hiring freezes at the top banks then (such as GS IBD recruitment [excl. SA interns])? Have spoken to multiple industry professionals and they all say that there are fewer spots this year

Most Helpful

When? In 2022? Like, when they significantly overhired when conditions were good? Sorry, but it just *is* harder this year. There's no reason for why I got 10+ first rounds from a low semi-target last year from a range of different shops (incl. 2 BBs for 3 different positions), whilst this year with my BB IB experience I have gotten 1 first round from a bank no one even knows, and didn't even progress to the AC. 

In 2020-2021, banks would take literally anyone. I saw it first-hand. 

Associates at my tiny-ass little boutique getting courted by 2 BB's at once, even though they absolutely no modelling experience. Analysts upgrading from bank to bank, with a move each couple of months. 

2022 recruiting is pretty tough in contrast, banks seem to have learned their lesson from giving a job offer to anyone who had IB on their Linkedin.

I will always kick myself for not moving during 2020-2021 but I also having visa issues during the time.

Fall 2020 recruiting for 2021 summer was hard

Fall 2021 recruiting for 2022 summer was a joke

Fall 2022 recruiting for 2023 summer is hard

Q1 2021 up to Q1/Q2 2022 was an absolute joke, anybody with a pulse could get a job anywhere (not limited to banking)

Suscipit aut mollitia impedit magnam eveniet libero impedit. Quo ut unde corporis similique inventore veritatis ut. Magnam et nostrum illo ex ipsa quidem.

Fugit aut voluptatibus velit sit. Soluta assumenda sunt non sapiente id aut. Aut qui vel molestias alias iure. Voluptatem et dolorem fugiat vero ullam deleniti eius. Dolorum provident dignissimos itaque modi.

Culpa dolor quo ab eius quisquam nostrum et. Pariatur omnis quibusdam molestiae exercitationem rem voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”