Brown Gibbons Lang in 2024

I've been having some great interactions with their consumer team lately, and am contemplating a lateral move from my LMM shop. Curious if anyone can provide any insights to the following?

• Overall culture? Is it cutthroat or more friendly?
  • Protected weekends? Do they have them?
  • Other perks? Are roles flexible, or do people tend to tear you apart if you try to play up?
  • Comp? Is the bonus all cash?
  • PTO? Respected or nah?

Funniest

Have a few buddies from undergrad over there and here is what I've gathered. Protected weekends are just about as protected as Pearl Harbor was in 45'. Bonuses are shit and nearly half was in the form of Kroger coupons and Madden cash. Would avoid at all costs

Can confirm the Kroger coupons. It was also definitely a slap in the face when they offered to upgrade me to town hall 11 rather than pay me a normal cash bonus. To each their own though. 

Worked at BGL during my analyst days before making the move over to a LMM LBO shop. Thoroughly enjoyed sweating it away in the bullpen with my analyst class. Since WLB was poor and we didn't have time to go out after work, we would put hard liquor in our water bottles and get fucked up on the job. Senior bankers didn't seem to mind as long as we were nose-deep in a model. Comp was solid and there were a few hot bitches over on the HR team that I used to talk up. 

Can confirm that culture was strong despite poor WLB. Got really close with my analyst class because we were always in the trenches together. One of my boys actually kept a bong in his desk and we would light up in the bathroom when we were waiting for comments. It was pretty much a competition to see who could get the most fucked up and do the craziest drugs without getting caught by our MDs.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Something like this seems to get posted every year probably because there are so many contradicting statements on BGL. When I worked there a couple years ago, the culture, people, hours, pay, were all *okay*. Not awesome, not the worst place to work on the planet like some comments make it seem. I worked in Chicago, but frequently talked to the analysis in Cleveland, and they all hated it. Tougher senior bankers, longer hours, etc. They also screwed a few (very vocal on WSO) people when COVID hit in the form of layoffs and pulling offers from incoming analysts. So my summary would be that if you ignore the not so great behavior during a black-swan event, BGL Chicago is a fine place to work and would avoid Cleveland. Not sure if either office has gotten better or worse since I left though. 

Absolutely horrible culture. Have a few mentees that use to work there and they told me horrible things about the culture.

Would steer as far clear from this place as possible. Extremely sweaty and toxic culture from what I’ve gathered.

Also, seriously - what “good interactions with the consumer team” have you had? That team is entirely braindead VPs and like 1 analyst that dont want to live anymore.

the consumer team alone had 4 analysts quit on the spot with nothing lined up

Having transitioned from another firm, I can attest to the positive culture at BGL. While late nights are common for in investment banking, the camaraderie among colleagues at BGL enhances the experience. Compensation aligns with market, and the atmosphere is generally friendly. Each industry vertical hosts its own team trips

Holy HR clean up job. Was this also written with ChatGPT?

I have been at BGL for 6 months now, and I am not sure where all the negativity is coming from. My guess is that these comments are from poor performers who were not making the cut. BGL has a culture of collaboration and partnership throughout the organization and the partners actually encourage and listen to your feedback. Deal flow is strong. I am glad I made the switch to BGL. 

Also nobody talks like this except HR. Think about what you’d actually want to tell people on an anonymous forum. You wouldnt say “culture of collaboration and partnership” it sounds so fake. Then an additional comment with “bruh” included to make yourself sound like “one of the young ppl.” What a joke, lets see what your next burner says after this feedback lol

Additionally your whole firm is “underperformers who didnt make the cut.” Just insecure nerds who went to Nobody University who brag to 20 year olds “I make as much as an evercore associate” and “only a few people make it to PE” because of how insecure he is they wouldnt take him - who cares?

also to whoevers writing these burners. Did your mother bring you into the world just for you to do a coverup job for BGL? You have so much more to live for

Nemo consequatur aut et quo hic aut. Est occaecati natus dolorum laudantium. Deserunt explicabo sunt voluptas aut. Molestiae quo enim iure est ipsum molestiae excepturi consectetur. Dolor quia quidem rerum odit molestiae velit reprehenderit placeat.

Iure unde voluptatibus est quidem est. Quod magni deserunt ut. Autem eligendi reiciendis ipsum nobis maiores minus.

Dolorem numquam fugit in distinctio. Id ducimus recusandae veritatis est quod aut cumque. Corporis dolor eveniet quia tenetur porro cum animi eos. Eos similique sit doloribus quaerat voluptatem. Repellendus facere officia officiis.

Reiciendis saepe aliquam repellat autem et rerum. Ipsam veniam ipsum est. Et placeat eveniet aliquid rerum.

Qui harum voluptas voluptatem blanditiis laboriosam quae asperiores voluptatem. Exercitationem neque consequatur maiores nam nesciunt aut. Quo a ea et sint deleniti. Eos non veniam minus. Atque ipsum necessitatibus facilis laboriosam explicabo accusamus officiis. Sed qui consequatur officia est.

Eius sint velit id et earum nesciunt. Ad aliquam aut dignissimos eum ut. Maxime similique quasi omnis aut totam nostrum ducimus nobis.

Aut impedit deserunt vel cum eligendi assumenda consequatur. Sit repellendus voluptatibus quibusdam maiores possimus.

At qui voluptatem explicabo nesciunt est. Neque inventore dicta reiciendis quas suscipit culpa. Id dolores quia qui labore eum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”