I mean, I guess you could still run 2003 on Vista, but what's the point? There are some tools for more efficient team work on projects in Vista, but the cost of switching OS's would be way to high I think. On the other hand, XP is supposed to be lose support sometime soon (or did it already?) which to certain extent might be a problem. So who knows... But if the experienced bankers say they hate '07, I'd believe them :) I'd say that maybe the switch to Vista might come first, and only later the office switch.

Best Response

I feel that older bankers never will want to switch because they've learned the old shortcut keys. Over time, more and more companies will use 2007 and banks will have to switch. How many times will a bank have to request that a client resend a copy of its financials in a version compatible with 2000-2003? Banks will eventually upgrade as all the older analysts graduate and new analysts - who did not previously memorize the 2003 shortcuts - begin working. I purchased 2007 for this very purpose. I knew the vast majority of 2003 shortcuts, but I wanted to remain competitive, so I've memorized the 2007 shortcuts. It really is NOT that different. Alt I R becomes Alt H I R. I've used 2003 a lot in a work -setting, and it really is not that big of a deal. A lot of current analysts don't want it because they think they will have another learning curve to conquer. It's not that big of a deal.

Or else I may go crazy and actually kill someone, American Psycho style. I'm way too lazy to memorize all the new shortcuts even if they're easy and not much different, and in general I hate how Microsoft likes to make their new Office files incompatible with older versions of Office.

Similarly I refuse to buy a new laptop with Vista on it, so I'll either have to switch to a Mac or somehow stick with XP.

But yeah over time banks will have to switch just because of the MS support issue... already seeing some cases where client files are not compatible as well.

Office 2007 was the worst program I have ever seen come out. Nothing makes me angrier than doing Excel on it. Its like I have to force it to do any graph different than one that looks like a child drew it with a crayon. Let alone that I still havent figured out how to customize the graph in the way you did it in excel 2003. I think their entire strategy for Office 2007 was to make it completely push button. I do really really hope that banks never pick it up.

I've got to think there is or will be some sort of patch that would make Office '07 (or at least Excel '07) work with the '03 shortcuts. Completely changing the shortcuts is just fucking stupid - its the equivalent of issuing a non-QWERTY keyboard.

I have XP at work and Vista at home and don't have any issues using Office '03 on either, but from what I'm hearing Office '07 sounds awful.

yea but if you get enough ram on your computer, vista runs really smoothly and looks pretty nice. i admit, though, that it's pretty much the same thing as xp, but w/ a cool 3d alt+tab.

Est aut fugit qui ea magni modi. Molestiae odit esse nulla necessitatibus non. Accusantium nobis perspiciatis consequatur et eum.

Dignissimos et facere molestiae minus. Atque dolorem illum nobis. Sed libero et saepe fugit.

Voluptatem consectetur repellat quia rerum. Iste mollitia qui nihil et. Qui distinctio in nihil ut dicta qui distinctio corrupti. Aperiam modi aperiam repellat vitae ut corporis labore perferendis.

Et magnam tenetur quia nihil ut. Ipsum praesentium et quibusdam quod distinctio. Amet consequuntur ad accusamus doloremque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”