We use 2003.  I expect it will take a long time to migrate over to 2007, but we'll get there eventually.   The other day our client sent a forecast over in excel 2007 and the team had to rely on me to teach them how to read it!

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

Best Response
computerblue:

I don't understand the big deal.  Once you get past the different file types, many, if not most, of the shortcuts from 03 work in 07.

While it is true that the "CONTROL + Key" type of shortcuts are still intact, the shortcuts that matter are the menu shortcuts that use ALT to open the menubar.  For example, in Excel 2007 I can't hit ALT E S F to paste-special a formula, I can't hit ALT I R to insert rows, and I can't hit ALT O E to format cells.

These (menu shortcuts) are the shortcuts you use most as an analyst.  This is what keeps people from using the new version of Excel.  I can't use Excel 2007 without a mouse, which is the banking equivalent of Lance Armstrong not being able to ride a new Trek without training wheels.

justanotherbanker:
computerblue:

I don't understand the big deal. Once you get past the different file types, many, if not most, of the shortcuts from 03 work in 07.

While it is true that the "CONTROL + Key" type of shortcuts are still intact, the shortcuts that matter are the menu shortcuts that use ALT to open the menubar. For example, in Excel 2007 I can't hit ALT E S F to paste-special a formula, I can't hit ALT I R to insert rows, and I can't hit ALT O E to format cells.

These (menu shortcuts) are the shortcuts you use most as an analyst. This is what keeps people from using the new version of Excel. I can't use Excel 2007 without a mouse, which is the banking equivalent of Lance Armstrong not being able to ride a new Trek without training wheels.

In my 07, all of the ALT shortcuts I use heavily (paste special, cell formatting, insert row/column/comments, etc) work the same, even though the sequences don't show up on the ribbon.  Come to think of it, I don't even pay attention to the ribbon.

If you have a way to revert to the 2003 menu style in 2007, I'd be stoked to hear about it.  I have Office 2007 pro on my personal computer and it would be nice if I could actually use Excel 2007 for something.

There's a program that you can buy that will revert the menu bar... forget what it's called, but a quick google search will probably find it.

Thanks.  I've seen the program before, I just couldn't tell if EVERYTHING would be the same. 

Most 2003 shortcuts still work in 2007 (for my version). And it isn't that huge of a difference. Alt I R becomes Alt H I R. It's practically the same thing. In less than two days, you'll have all the important ones memorized, and all of them memorized within two weeks. My guess: all new analysts will know 2007 shortcuts and as the older analysts/associates graduate, 2007 will take over.

Et esse impedit tempora aspernatur voluptatum. Earum nulla laborum amet natus id eos. Sint excepturi harum ab accusamus quisquam quidem ea.

Enim hic molestiae in expedita laboriosam impedit. Quidem nesciunt et sit distinctio illo iure. Facere explicabo neque praesentium aut officia aperiam suscipit iusto. Accusantium quis similique recusandae enim. Corporis quia assumenda quis quo.

Possimus dolores nulla omnis et quia repellat magnam. Fuga aspernatur possimus odio placeat recusandae. Aut et sequi quidem facilis. Ullam maiores deleniti voluptatibus porro. Dolorum optio consequatur enim molestias et nisi quasi atque. Et sunt perspiciatis hic perspiciatis voluptatem debitis accusantium.

Exercitationem et esse et adipisci et enim. Autem amet praesentium harum sed ad labore qui. Blanditiis sit veritatis occaecati numquam inventore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”