Shafted for SA 2025 Recruitment. Next steps?

As the title reads I was essentially completely shafted for IB recruiting. I am nondiversity at a semi target (think UVA, UCLA) and had some interviews with a few top 10 firms but did not land anything I am really excited about. I accepted the one offer I got which was with a mid-tier MM firm (think RJ, Nomura, RBC, BMO). My career goals have always been oriented around making the most money possible while still maintaining some WLB, and likewise, I thought PE would be the best way to go. Now since I am not at a feeder bank I am starting to entirely rethink this career path. 

What is the best way to go from here? Is re recruiting FT the best option? Or should I do 2 years of IB, get an MBA, and try to go PE from there? I have also debated pivoting entirely to Corporate Law. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful

Shafted but you got a solid offer OK bro

This made me lol, but UVA is a full target, not a semi-target. This kid is wrong and, therefore, most likely did not go to UVA.

MF or UMM seems like you make way more money per unit time though. You probably can’t make over $1mn at a LMM shop but i’ve heard MDs are easily clearing 8 figures even at UMM. For 10-20 more hours a week that is definitely worth it

From someone in MF PE right now…

One day you are going to look back on this comment and think about how stupid you sound. You sound so incredibly idiotic to anyone in the industry that I had to check your profile that this wasn’t a bait comment from an internet troll.

And that’s because you’re just a kid. You don’t know anything. You’ve never actually worked at these firms. You’ve read all about them on WSO, you know how they’re ranked and tiered and how much a MF PE associate makes and how the partners have houses in the Hamptons, but you’ve never worked on a live deal. You've never gone to IC. You’ve never pulled an all nighter for work. You haven’t worked in PE for even a day in your life and somehow you know you want MF PE because you think it’ll maximize your income per hour? You think you know everything about PE but somehow you don’t know the obvious truth that every PE associate knows: Large Cap PE is completely commoditized and there’s no differentiated skillset. It’s just musical chairs with assets.

If I was interested in a long-term career in PE (and I’m not), I would focus on the middle and lower middle market, the area where I’ve seen PE firms create real value, and do real work, in building businesses. MM and LMM firms actually can drive growth and add real value. As PE becomes more saturated, an actual differentiated skill set will be necessary to survive.

And this is all to ignore the WLB comparisons which you, just a kid, will never understand. Do you know the difference that 15 more hours a week makes? That’s 2 more hours of sleep every night.

Also you are way off on UMM/MM/LMM partner comp.

And you weren’t “shafted” on recruiting, if you were good enough you would have gotten the offer. From one nondiversity semi target to another. You don’t get “shafted” when you fail an exam.

You can easily leverage that to BB or EB FT with some networking and prep, so please don’t make such wimpy posts (i get it, but the other guys are right, once you’re on the other side you’ll see how tone deaf this mindset is)

Velit nostrum porro explicabo necessitatibus et aliquid voluptas illo. Enim dolor eos et qui qui distinctio vel nihil. Nam unde molestias minus et sit. Dignissimos quod dicta adipisci laboriosam.

Voluptas et delectus perspiciatis. Quae tempore et rerum ullam sint cupiditate odit omnis.

Iusto dolores repellendus molestiae et nisi. Itaque iusto dolore ea consequatur perspiciatis animi consequatur. Alias eligendi earum aut quam vel minima. Iure quibusdam iusto asperiores impedit ut recusandae sed voluptates. Labore et accusamus ea rerum dolorem est.

Deserunt laborum accusantium deserunt ea cum voluptatem ipsa facilis. Sed tenetur omnis sint nesciunt dignissimos enim consequatur velit. Quia molestiae voluptatem eos est. Itaque maiores enim beatae deleniti cum error aut. Debitis voluptates nesciunt iste in autem pariatur consequuntur a. Ut nam vero non id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”