WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (9/05-9/11)

In case you missed them, here's some of last week's most popular topics:

AMA - Non-Target -> Target -> MM IBD -> Corp Dev
Post By @SECfinance"

I recently joined the corporate development team at a media/entertainment company. Feel free to ask me about SEC football, transferring of schools and going from IB to corporate devevelopment.

I'm in the collateral business, AMA
Post By @NESCAC"

My major was in philosophy at a target school. I have always been fascinated by the law and regulation, which is why I took this job. At the boutique that I'm about to leave, I structure deals to fund reserve requirements. Going to GS TMT --> BX --> HBS has never really been a "dream" of mine. Life is too non-linear to get caught up in that; not dissing people who want to do that or anything, but the most well-worn path isn't always the best for you. Ask me anything.

If you screw up undergrad...are you doomed for life?
Post By @wanttobreakin111"

People always talk about having a MBA redemption. However, getting into a top MBA program requires top notch pre-MBA work experience (even if not IBD), like maybe F50 FLDP at the minimum, which itself requires top undergrad performance to get in. Therefore how can a person fix himself, assuming he has the ambition, work ethic and ability, if he totally fk'd up during his undergrad studies? Will said person ever have a chance at IBD?

Give and Take (Book Summary and Action Plan)
Post By @Status_Quo"

This is a summary of the book, Give and Take, along with an action plan to help integrate insights from the book into your life. Through small means, I try to give too - whether it's through volunteering with nonprofits, providing pro bono advisory services to small, scrappy companies, or making sure the right people in my life meet each other. It's also the spirit behind AYA - I hope that this weekly content enriches and enhances your life in some way.

Where the CFA can and can't help you?
Post By @Human Capital"

Heres the list of industries I had in mind when considering whether or not it would help: IB, PE, HF, VC, AM, S&T, ER & PWM. Assuming you already have a decent network, how much help can completing at least one level of CFA offer?

Cold email advice from analyst
Post By @blackice"

A couple pieces of honest advice when writing cold emails. People may say I'm overly critical but I get 5 of these a day so I am looking for any reason not to respond.

Ways to learn Matlab
Post By @shorttheworld"

Does anyone know a good way to learn Matlab? Do you need an in depth math background? I'm looking at using the Financial Toolbox to focus on asset allocation and Monte Carlo simulation.

What's in a name? Of Umlauts, The Alphabet and World Peace!
Post By @Aswath Damodaran"

If value is driven by substance (cash flows, growth and risk), it seems absurd that name changes can affect your value, but I have learned not to dismiss them as non-events. Name changes can lead to shifts in investment, financing and dividend policy that can affect value, and more importantly, they can have substantial price effects. So, who knows? These name changes may all work: Page and Brin may actually be willing to give up control at Google and Ron Artest could become a Buddhist monk!

Uber Delivers?
Post By @steelers33"

Given all of Uber's recent scrutiny, it looks like the company is not backing down anytime soon. It was announced that the company will launch a same-day delivery service, initially in NYC. This service will not be run through Uber's app, however. Buyers of partner retailers can request same-day delivery service through the retailers respective apps. What do you guys think of this venture? Will Uber face any more controversy?

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”