Where would you invest your $ in RE if you had $100M?

Interviewing with a major REPE fund and got hit with the 'where would you invest' question. I was able to articulate a decent response, but looking back I definitely could have given a better answer. I know that someone else asked this a few years back, but wanted some fresh perspectives on how to approach this question given the craziness in the markets over the past two years.

Most Helpful

Yeah but now he has a multi billion dollar PE fund, billions in commercial development, etc.

Yes, and Elon Musk is known for Tesla but made his first couple billion through Paypal and other tech startups.

Even beyond that, I think it's a strong likelihood that Mr Ross' legacy affordable portfolio is the bedrock of the profitability of his company.  Yes, Hudson Yards is gargantuan and sexy and maybe profitable, but the boring assets that provide consistent revenue are what allows Related the ability to do those kinds of projects.

How much capital can you put to work in section 8? Can't you only put a sliver of equity? That equity gets a good return but it's practically no equity 

You can put in as much as you want.  As with everything else, leverage will juice returns, so people take a lot of leverage.  And you can lever up Section 8 more than basically any other asset class.

More to the point being made in general, however - you don't hear about hyper-wealthy affordable developers because their business doesn't revolve around self-promotion.  Quite the opposite!  People like Mr Trump may boast about every deal they're in, even if they own none of it and just license their name, because at that point their only actual success is the perception of being successful.  Whereas if I'm a major affordable developer, bragging about my money is a good way to invite a lot more scrutiny into my margins and my underwriting assumptions by my public sector partners.  It is self defeating in a way it isn't in luxury development, where the reputation for success can actually count for more than the quality of the product you build.

It's not hard to find, in the public record, liquidity statements for some of the major affordable developers in this country.  Many of them are worth mid to high nine figures, if not more, on the value of their real estate interests alone.  When you consider alternative investments that wouldn't be reported, those numbers could easily climb into the billions.  You just don't hear about this stuff because real estate is inherently a more private business than public equities.

For another way to look at it, there are probably families that own half a dozen high rise buildings on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, because the patriarch built them in the 40s or 50s.  And they're debt-free, and probably worth a hundred million bucks each.  You never hear about those families, of whom there are many, because they don't want to be in the public eye.  The only folks who make a Forbes list are those whose money is mainly in quantifiable public securities, or who are actively lobbying to be included.

C.R.E. Shervin

No wonder you think every landlord is a slumlord, if you deal with section 8 housing.

I don't?  Many are.  Many aren't.  Some people are greedy shitheads, that's just the world.  I think some systems incentivize or reward people who act in an unscrupulous manner and poison the well for everyone else.

-30% Cold storage related to logistics and transportation at strategic (stop gapping; fixing a break in the logistical link; an area that has logistic point outages and fill-in that outage with this property ---with extra points if the area is slowly up and coming in 10-15 years leaving an adaptive reuse conversion down the line to whatever becomes the highest/best use for these industrial sites) hub-and-spoke points catering to broad array of blue chip (credit tenant) e-commerce providers (think where Amazon and its affiliates rent space to keep delivery trucks and vans or well located cold storage micro-fulfillment centers). Likely credit tenants and demand will possibly expand as tech advances and customers get more comfortable with the "all necessities in life delivered on demand in hours not days" model; and

-70% Life science and lab space facilities (located near major research institutions) which accommodate the client/tenant's needs in the following areas - cellular biology, genetics, biochemistry, bioengineering, and AI. That $100mm probably won’t cover the entire tab given the last aspect so perhaps a JV with a long term/seasoned player in the space, if possible.

Most practical, smart and geometric use of capital: Ozymandia’s above idea for affordable housing (in an area with near and long term favourable supply/demand dynamics and a supportive local government).

This ain’t it…

Cold storage is super specialty and you can even build spec and cap rates have compressed stupidly.

And the life science play is near end of life in my opinion, which is one that well informed. Shits gonna start hitting the fan in that sector soon enough and people will get burned as they’re playing catch up to get the tail end of the wave.

Really depends on what firm your interviewing for. Interviewing at an industrial REPE? You'd be an idiot to mention retail. Are they opportunistic? Don't mention core. 

Safest answer would be a diversified mix of various different asset classes with a heavier allocation/bias towards the strategy and structure that the fund focuses on and then explaining why.

Merchant Industrial and multi developments… seems like fundamentals are sound enough for them to stay at crazy high pricing in the near term… but would not want to buy a core deal with my own money in this market

Incidunt nisi tempora delectus debitis illo cupiditate ratione iure. Dolor dolore deleniti ducimus libero.

Fuga officia totam sed repellat commodi repellat praesentium totam. Nulla atque labore non facilis. Quaerat dicta dolore laudantium maiores voluptas velit. Cum et hic qui suscipit suscipit. Aspernatur quia porro qui repellat.

Rerum at soluta necessitatibus aut rem nemo. Laboriosam esse quidem voluptatem omnis. Odio mollitia molestiae nemo maiores id aut iste. Eaque culpa voluptatibus fuga. Voluptatem quasi aut repellendus ex eaque assumenda itaque.

Corrupti aut ut autem qui et nemo qui. Aliquid est laboriosam fuga autem. Eius qui dolorem maxime id assumenda provident placeat. Reiciendis accusantium adipisci autem.

Consequatur nihil deserunt non qui perspiciatis. Autem accusantium ut harum. Iure aliquid excepturi id quas fugit aut in magni.

Dicta dolorem labore hic. Necessitatibus repellat quaerat et quam voluptas voluptas. Labore possimus temporibus tempore perspiciatis aut quia explicabo rem. Rerum explicabo dolore est est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”