How is class of 2024 doing (MBA & Analyst) on FT offers

Just a general question on how the class of '24 is doing in terms of FT offers from the BBs and EBs.  I assume/recall that return offer rates for the summer interns weren't great . . normal at some banks and kinda shitty at others.

So assuming that there was larger-than normal group of college seniors and 2nd year MBAs coming back to campus looking for FT offers, any sense of how that went?  Did those people mostly land IB or did they settle for something else, and if so what?  Are a lot of them still looking, etc etc. 

Basically anything you can tell about how that group did or is doing, and to the extent its specific to Analysts vs. Associates please specify.  Thanks!

At a non-ivy target(McDonough/Ross/McIntire), so take that for what you will. 

Recruiting is rough rn, some of us who didn't get returns are considering doing a masters and praying 2025 will be better. Currently looking towards FoF as consulting and IB are in the gutters. MMIB as well has had a backlog and looking at Blair news, doesn't seem like it's going to get better. 

Yes! Not the worst gig (in case I do land one) but was hoping to be involved in some more complex transactions as I'm trying to go to a T5 law school after a couple years of work ex. Was originally shooting for REIB/REPE. C'est la vie. 

Most Helpful

Good that you're getting some experience before committing to law school.  I went straight to law school and it was a big mistake. 

Not because of what law was (I did biglaw and it was an otherwise normal job that paid well) but because of what law wasn't.  Once you discover you have a passion for business of any kind whether that's investing, operations, etc etc . . law is a very tough place to be.  No matter how much a deal lawyer picks up ancillary skills and becomes more of a well-rounded advisor over time, it will always feel on the sidelines relative to an actual decision-maker.  Maybe I just had a complex after being a bad athlete growing up and always being on the bench . . but I wasn't willing to spend my career on the sidelines too.  

Not saying there isn't some path for a business-minded person to be happy in law, just be careful.  Consider not only the sticker price of school (which is actually the most minor consideration) and the lost income during school (the 2nd most minor consideration) but also the lost 3 years of experience which is really the big cost IMHO.  

Senior at Georgetown. Most of my classmates received returns and I know a couple who were able to lateral to better positions FT or move internally to M&A functions. Consulting seems to have been hit harder at least for the seniors here. Those who didn't receive returns ended up in adjacent fields like Big 4 transaction advisory or private credit shops.

I think we chatted a bit via message last year when I was internship recruiting at the MBA level (I go to a school ranked consistently in the T20-T30 range).

Got to 2 final rounds for on-campus recruiting and didn't get an offer (brutal offer rate, 40-50% at companies where last year was 65-70%+).

Struck out by mid December for on-campus. Gotten 3 interviews since (2 interviews later this month). At least 1 of them is a legitimate post MBA opportunity (~120 base, internal corporate team lead by ex MBB/T2 consultants). The competition for these 2 interviews is really high though (invites through a MBA career fair and the peers I'm going up against have better resumes than many of my classmates and attend T15 schools).

Not getting any luck in the industry niche I want but open to waiting it out for 4-6 months post MBA for an opportunity (interest rates are having a really bad impact on businesses I'm interested in). Have reached out to Class of 2023 grads I know who landed jobs 5-9 months after at desirable roles. Seems like it's a lot of grinding away and networking.

Financially in a good situation so unemployment doesn't really scare me. I'm just worried about settling for a shitty role because the white collar job market looks bad right now. I feel really bad for international classmates who seem desperate and applying to anything under the sun.

Thanks for the info.  Very helpful to hear these on-the-ground reports.  Great that you're in a position to wait for something good.  Time is precious and unfortunately some of us have to waste some of our time because we have more immediate needs for money.  You'll come out ahead not needing to do that.

Iste qui possimus recusandae laboriosam laudantium assumenda. Illum excepturi voluptate delectus eum. Quam reprehenderit ducimus perspiciatis qui quisquam delectus velit dolores. Unde tempora quis et magnam rerum porro doloremque. Saepe quia consequatur et dolorem est reiciendis ex autem.

Nostrum sunt soluta est alias eos ex nostrum. Aut necessitatibus et sit. Ducimus enim voluptatem fugiat vero ut ipsum consectetur.

Sed vitae et fugiat delectus quia omnis. Suscipit distinctio nihil excepturi explicabo nemo animi sequi. Voluptas rerum sed numquam excepturi voluptate. Quam modi fugit in id et qui cum.

Occaecati sint dolorem maxime eligendi modi voluptatem. Odio fugiat omnis voluptates.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”