$100,000,000.00 + CEO Golden Parachutes

Check out this report highlighting some of the most lucrative CEO severance packages since 2000. Pretty insane if you ask me. This is obviously not typical, but now I'm curious about what typical severance packages are like for F500 CEOs. Moreover, what are they like for other executives? Anyone with any information?

http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/downloa…

Wow, some of those numbers are insane. Gillette: $165 million over 5 years. What could possibly justify that sort of compensation? What kind of management talent are you bringing to a mature consumer products company with dominant market share to justify that level of comp? Relative to almost any large company, Gillette is incredibly easy to manage. Talk about bilking your shareholders.

Ravenous:
Wow, some of those numbers are insane. Gillette: $165 million over 5 years. What could possibly justify that sort of compensation? What kind of management talent are you bringing to a mature consumer products company with dominant market share to justify that level of comp? Relative to almost any large company, Gillette is incredibly easy to manage. Talk about bilking your shareholders.

According to that article, Gillette's CEO got his payday after he succesfully sold the company to P&G.

But I agree, some of those figures are pretty outrageous. I feel like Americans give too much credit (and pay) to c-level management when a company is doing well. A lot of factors go into the direction of a company, not just the strategy and leadership of c-level execs.

Man made money, money never made the man

OhYeah][quote=manbearpig:
^yup. I'm hoping consulting sets me up well for some good industry exits so I have a shot at the C Suite.
Why you talking severance packages. The salary itself makes it more than worth it. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/12/ceo-compensation-11_rank.html[/quote] lol dude i'm not saying i'm in it for the severance package =P. just the overall earning power and prestige/respect. let's face it, being EVP or above is way cooler than being an MD at an investment bank or PE firm even if the MD earns more.
-MBP

manbearpig:
^yup. I'm hoping consulting sets me up well for some good industry exits so I have a shot at the C Suite.

MBP- out of curiousity how long have you been in consulting? Are you at m/b/b? Are you getting offers from clients yet?

I am a Mgr at F500, but I wish I went the consulting route first.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

accountingbyday:
manbearpig:

MBP- out of curiousity how long have you been in consulting? Are you at m/b/b? Are you getting offers from clients yet?

Hey, I'm a Manager at Deloitte S&O. I've been a consultant for about 18 months now (came in at the Senior Consultant level and got promoted a few months ago). I've been offered a few positions at my clients so far. 2 at the Manager/Associate level and more recently at the Senior Manager/Associate Director level. I don't plan on taking any offers unless they're at the Director level or above.
-MBP

accountingbyday:

Why is that. because of the work? Or because you would be higher up the ladder had you lateraled from consulting?

"Sincerity is an overrated virtue" - Milton Friedman

marcellus_wallace:
Nardelli still needs to be the worse by far, he did nothing at Home Depot basically was begged to leave and got paid stupid $$$. Followed by sucking at his next job too.

The funny thing is, Nardelli worked out terribly, because he was a terrible fit from a style perspective as well as an industry knowledge perspective, so when THD replaced him, they went with his deputy at GE...who actually ended up being Nardelli's opposite...successful and not a dick.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of Starwood Points

Best Response
marcellus_wallace:
Gilette was a great company and sold handsomely to P&G.

Nardelli still needs to be the worse by far, he did nothing at Home Depot basically was begged to leave and got paid stupid $$$. Followed by sucking at his next job too.

What does Gillette being a great company have to do with anything? Okay, it's a great company. Compensation should be based on contribution to the business. Gillette practically runs itself. There is virtually zero innovation in the products. All they have to do is maintain product quality, shelf space and brand and they can make a mint. There is no technology obsolesence risk, no threat of new entrants or substitute products, no foreign manufacturing risk, no pricing pressure risk -- basically very little to worry about. All you have to do as CEO is not fuck it up. There is NO WAY that someone in that kind of role can justify $165 million. I'm not saying they should pay him like a pauper, but his comp was way out of line. And don't say, he brokered a deal with P&G -- P&G had a massive erection to buy Gillette, not because some CEO developed an amazing exit strategy. Any consumer products company would want to own Gillette because they know it is still going to have dominant market share and excessively high margins 100 years from now -- it's a no brainer.

I agree that Nardelli was horrible though. It seems like people can reach a point where performance doesn't even matter anymore, where people become enamored with some "story of greatness" and continue to throw money at these clowns even though greatness never emerges. You've got Nardelli. You've got John Merriwether in the hedge fund world. I'm sure there are others (probably lots in sports).

Actually that was me you were answering too in the other post. Sorry man didn't realize it was you. But thanks for the replies. Very informative.

"Sincerity is an overrated virtue" - Milton Friedman

Dolor esse quis aliquam nostrum. Et saepe eveniet exercitationem expedita assumenda. Nostrum velit quasi eos ad commodi distinctio saepe. Vel sapiente est assumenda sint aut.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”