2015 MBA Application Thread

Alright,

So who's struggling through R1 apps like I am? Trying to find the time between my 70 HR week, my needy GF, and life's general bullshit has been tough but I'm through a few first drafts of essays and have my R1 school schools down to Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, Booth, and Sloan.

Who else is going through the process? Where you at? How's it going? How much do you hate bullshit essay questions like "introduce yourself"? Let's all commiserate here.

As a side note, with an essay topic like "introduce yourself" I now fully understand why Brady never could get into Harvard. Can you imagine that guy writing a free form essay about himself?

Best Response
runNYC11:

Are you planning on applying to all 5 of those schools in R1? I have been told by multiple people that 5 is too many, and I should focus on 3-4 for the first round. Also, are you having the same two recommenders write recs for all 5 of the schools?

Yup, 5 for R1 and all five will have the same recommenders. I think it's a resource issue. You should always feel like you put your best foot forward for each application so don't do it unless you are able to do that. I've been writing for a few weeks and am on draft 3 or 4 of all my essays. I'm working with a consultant on 2 of them and she's tearing apart those essays and then I'm using what I learn from her and the other resources they have to adjust my other apps. As far as recommenders, I worry a bit that it's a little too many but I am giving them a good packet of info this week and my firm is doing its annual reviews right now too so I figure they can leverage what they would have written for my reviews anyways.

My consultant suggested 4-6 (Stacy Blackman) but I got started on the process early. Though she also suggested I put in an app to a less selective school and I haven't done that figuring Stern/Yale can sneak into round 2 if need be (which I probably will, because I'm a boring white dude in finance).

Keep in mind I do literally nothing but work and applications right now, so it's not fun, but I'm hoping this will be over soon.

Good luck to everyone working on their school apps.

I am currently going through the process and not really enjoying essay writing process. Currently on draft 4 of HBS. It made me realize how much I hate introducing myself... Not easy to manage writing essays, work including business related international travel.. At least this process won't las forever.

I'm currently 26 and have always wanted to get an MBA at some point, but time has flown since undergrad. I've been working on the CFA and haven't put much thought recently into the MBA, but I fear I'll be aged out of the typical MBA demographic before I realize it (based on how fast the last 4 years have flown). If I've made no progress at all, is it already too late to apply for the fall 2016 start dates?

anonymous1989:

I'm currently 26 and have always wanted to get an MBA at some point, but time has flown since undergrad. I've been working on the CFA and haven't put much thought recently into the MBA, but I fear I'll be aged out of the typical MBA demographic before I realize it (based on how fast the last 4 years have flown). If I've made no progress at all, is it already too late to apply for the fall 2016 start dates?

No... You probably won't make round 1 but if you start now (assuming you need to study and take the GMAT) you should make round 2 deadlines in early January. That said, you won't be too old next year so if you want to wait another year it's not a big deal. And I would wait a year before applying in R3 as R3 is notoriously tougher and more stingy on scholarships.

KJEB_ZH:

Is everyone in this thread aiming for scholarships? Because I was about to say...MBA from HBS, Sloan, Booth etc etc are crazy expensive. If you have that money then okay

I would love to get a scholarship. However, I'll likely be taking out loans like most. The NPV on one of these MBAs for me personally is pretty clearly very high accounting for things I can control, so while it sucks, it makes sense for me to take out the loans.

westcoastmonkey8:

Did you apply to Columbia ED? Also, which schools are you planning on applying to Rd2? Does your Rd2 list depend entirely on which schools you get into from Rd 1? I'm applying next year

Naw, didn't do Columbia ED. Was originally going too and decided against it. Round 2 schools are basically the next tier of schools if I don't get into any of these. Probably Tuck, Kellogg, Stern, and Yale. I have no real desire to go to school in the south or the west so if I didn't get into any of those 9 total schools (which I really doubt, but is certainly possible) then I'd reapply next year.

I'm far away from applying to MBA (not even sure if an MBA is worth it), but for the folks trying to land a MC job what are some of your backup plans if you can't land that dream MC job?

1. MC question: corporate strategy or other internal function for internship, then re-recruit for MC in year 2 would be a likely option.
  2. Obviously I think its worth it given that I'm applying but as I tell my friends.. it's dependent on your situation. You can run the numbers and analyze if it's financially worth it. But I'm sure for most applicants applying, we're considering other factors (career pivot, career satisfaction, network, etc). It's a highly personal decision that I can easily see not being the best decision for many.
  3. MC in the short term. Technology/product focus in the long-term.

Thank you for your response. If you don't mind me asking what kind of savings do you think I should have at matriculation?

Also, why do you think MBA is worth the time and effort? After all you're giving up 2yrs of salary and taking out $80-100K of loans (assumption based on average loan amount)

Whether or not an MBA is worth it is entirely a personal decision. From purely an NPV proposition, it depends on what your current career path is, what career path you are shooting for (taking into account the likelihood of getting there), and the opportunities that specific school provides. But there are also a lot of personal things to think about. Are you happy doing what you do now? Will you continue to be happy in it? Will you be happier in something else? Is getting an MBA the only reasonable way to get into that other profession?

I'm giving up a 120k a year job to go back. Why? Upside. In my current career path I'll slowly make my way to ~300k sometime in my late 40s and plateu there (unless I somehow got lucky and moved up into c suite, but that's basically out of your control). It's a career path I find not challenging, which makes it hard for me to stay interested and happy. I want to move into work that has higher upside and I find more intellectually challenging. I also can easily come back and continue doing what I'm doing at a plethora of brand name companies.

With my goals in mind is an MBA worth it? Absolutely, but only if it's a top MBA that provides opportunities most schools don't. But it's something you have to weigh personally and it's absolutely not one size fits all.

Hit the button on HBS and CBS (ED) today. Between GMAT and essays I think I put my best foot forward, but it's always a crap shoot. Finding it hard to focus on getting my third and probably final R1 out the door - wharton

So now that a decent amount of R1 deadlines are passing, who's all in? What have you seen/been surprised with/frustrated over so far? I'm in at Booth, CBS, Sloan, and Harvard. Still have to make the finishing touches on my Wharton app.

I have to say. Stamina is an under talked about point. This process is long. I started studying for the GMAT in January. Took it in March and then again in May. I started game planning, throwing around and thinking about consultants in May/June. Started writing in July. And now I'm still not done with my final app and then I'm just going to wait for weeks.

The process is not easy. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Was trying to finish up the Booth app but didn't feel it was polished enough. Don't see a point in throwing away an app after all the time I spent doing it. Looks like its on to Columbia ED, Wharton, Cornell, and Michigan.

If I dont get into Columbia or Wharton , Ill apply to Booth and Kellogg round 2. I really wanted to make it for Booth round 1 but it is what it is.

greekmyth:

Was trying to finish up the Booth app but didn't feel it was polished enough. Don't see a point in throwing away an app after all the time I spent doing it. Looks like its on to Columbia ED, Wharton, Cornell, and Michigan.

If I dont get into Columbia or Wharton , Ill apply to Booth and Kellogg round 2. I really wanted to make it for Booth round 1 but it is what it is.

Do you plan on pocketing a potential Ross/Johnson acceptance, submitting the seat deposit, and then just reneging if you get Booth or Kellogg in R2? Assuming no Columbia or Wharton this round.

The process is surprisingly arduous overall. I've been working on the essays since the day they came out and still have 2 to go. And man, that Booth app sure is long. I wasn't 100% convinced that it was my best work but it was close enough that I didn't feel any marginal benefit outweighed the small % decrease in admission odds in R2.

Wharton in today. Similar process here to some of the recent other posts. 4 schools in total, began the process back in February studying for the GMAT in April. Had a few months off and then started essays really as soon as they were released in July.

For those looking to apply next fall or 2017 fall and in New York, Boston, and Chicago, study for the GMAT in the winter. I had a number of friends study this summer and the previous summer and results were not as strong. Hard to force yourself to grind it out when it is 85 degrees and sunny out vs. the inevitable 4 months of 0 sun exposure in the winter.

Cav21x:

Wharton in today. Similar process here to some of the recent other posts. 4 schools in total, began the process back in February studying for the GMAT in April. Had a few months off and then started essays really as soon as they were released in July.

For those looking to apply next fall or 2017 fall and in New York, Boston, and Chicago, study for the GMAT in the winter. I had a number of friends study this summer and the previous summer and results were not as strong. Hard to force yourself to grind it out when it is 85 degrees and sunny out vs. the inevitable 4 months of 0 sun exposure in the winter.

Ya, I totally agree with this. It was way easier in the winter then it was once it got closer to summer time. Luckily I got a score I was happy with by the end of April.

Cav21x:

THIS.

I started studying around Christmas and then took the test first week of May. It's impossible to study in the summer, and you definitely wouldn't want to miss a football season for the GMAT. It sucks to miss college basketball, but the games are short so you can still watch a few a week while studying. I think your point is a great one, Jan-May studying FTW

Ditto for the arduous process... I'm applying to only three, under round 1, but pretty much have been working on it for two months... It's indeed a soul searching process though.. Good luck to all R1 applicants!

Are you guysthat are applying for the MBAs working at the same time? If so, how would you guys do that?

I'm applying for UNC Kenan-Flagler's online MBA as I think that's the only way I'd be able to attend a program while working.. (I'm in the accounting industry and hate it and failed to get an IB job.) This would be my second masters as I get my Masters of Accountancy this December.

IBcurious2:

Are you guysthat are applying for the MBAs working at the same time?
If so, how would you guys do that?

I'm applying for UNC Kenan-Flagler's online MBA as I think that's the only way I'd be able to attend a program while working.. (I'm in the accounting industry and hate it and failed to get an IB job.)
This would be my second masters as I get my Masters of Accountancy this December.

Do you mean am I working while applying? Yes, of course. I just am busy and, like so many of the others here, spent like the last 8 months in the process between GMAT prep, essays, applications, recommendations, etc. Now, hopefully, the only thing left is interview prep and I'll get into one of my R1 schools.

It's definitely not something you can do unless you are willing to give up free time on nights and weekends.

AllDay_028:
IBcurious2:
Are you guysthat are applying for the MBAs working at the same time?If so, how would you guys do that?I'm applying for UNC Kenan-Flagler's online MBA as I think that's the only way I'd be able to attend a program while working.. (I'm in the accounting industry and hate it and failed to get an IB job.)This would be my second masters as I get my Masters of Accountancy this December.

Do you mean am I working while applying? Yes, of course. I just am busy and, like so many of the others here, spent like the last 8 months in the process between GMAT prep, essays, applications, recommendations, etc. Now, hopefully, the only thing left is interview prep and I'll get into one of my R1 schools.

It's definitely not something you can do unless you are willing to give up free time on nights and weekends.

Oops, what I meant was will you be working while attending the MBA program..

I am hitting all MBA business schools ">M7 schools for round 1. Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, Chicago, MIT and Penn are all in. Columbia is the only one left. I mean, it was a lot of work, but there were so many shared elements between the applications. Personally, I think people over do it trying to customize and tailor their apps, let's face it, there really isn't THAT much of a difference between how these schools operate despite what they all say.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. Guess we'll find out when I hear back!

I applied to 4 schools so far. I finally have a small break. I'm going to apply to Tuck for the November round and then its just a waiting game. It would suck to not get into any options in the first round and have to grind out apps again for round 2. Luckily the process gets much easier after applying to a couple of schools.

Can't imagine how awesome it must have felt for the people who only applied to Columbia ED and got in after 3 weeks and are done with the process.

Fly over there. I was just in Chicago for Booth Live last week and the weather was great. After my trip, Booth definitely went up in my book.

I obviously don't know whether or not you've visited campus before or if you've ever even been to Chicago -- so those are a couple of things to take into consideration.

PM me if you have any specific questions

westcoastmonkey8:

Fly over there. I was just in Chicago for Booth Live last week and the weather was great. After my trip, Booth definitely went up in my book.

I obviously don't know whether or not you've visited campus before or if you've ever even been to Chicago -- so those are a couple of things to take into consideration.

PM me if you have any specific questions

I grew up and went to school in the Midwest (and recruited in Chicago heavily out of undergrad despite eventually taking a job in NYC) so I'm really familiar with the area even though I've never been in campus at Chicago. I'm definitely extremely high on Booth it's just the general issue with getting time off when we are really busy right now and all that. I'm thinking I might do it here in NYC but then, if I get in, definitely go out there for one of the admitted students days.

I applied to a lot of the same schools you guys did. I had an interview at Sloan last week and thought it went great (was told as much by the interviewer), but came away from the visit really thinking the school wasn't for me. The few current students I met were oddly very intense, but not intense about jobs like I see from CBS students, intense about their classes. And that's not something I really see wanting to be a part of my MBA experience. I was also told "grade disclosure doesn't matter because no one asks... except Financial firms" which, as someone who is going into Finance, worries me.

I was at Booth a few weeks ago visiting there and had the opposite issue. I thought my interview went poorly but enjoyed the school and people a lot. I definitely felt like I could fit in there. Also the new employment report was really a lot better then last years for Finance.

I'm waiting to hear from CBS but I have ties there so I'm expecting good things. Definitely excited about them too but I am interested to see how the new employment report looks. I also wonder how much validity there is to CBS and Booth being on opposite paths of ascending/descending in terms of prestige/selectivity.

undefined:
undefined:
I applied to a lot of the same schools you guys did. I had an interview at Sloan last week and thought it went great (was told as much by the interviewer), but came away from the visit really thinking the school wasn't for me. The few current students I met were oddly very intense, but not intense about jobs like I see from CBS students, intense about their classes. And that's not something I really see wanting to be a part of my MBA experience. I was also told "grade disclosure doesn't matter because no one asks... except Financial firms" which, as someone who is going into Finance, worries me.I was at Booth a few weeks ago visiting there and had the opposite issue. I thought my interview went poorly but enjoyed the school and people a lot. I definitely felt like I could fit in there. Also the new employment report was really a lot better then last years for Finance.I'm waiting to hear from CBS but I have ties there so I'm expecting good things. Definitely excited about them too but I am interested to see how the new employment report looks. I also wonder how much validity there is to CBS and Booth being on opposite paths of ascending/descending in terms of prestige/selectivity.

Could you elaborate on a couple of these points?

1. Do you mean MIT has grade disclosure? That's kind of scary, considering most of the top programs do not.
2. Do you mean CBS is falling and Booth is rising? Or vice versa

Yes, MIT has grade disclosure. I was told the vast majority of firms/companies don't ask what your grades are. But I was told specifically by one student that Google asked her. I was told by another student that all the banks and asset managers ask, too.

And Booth is definitely rising... Their most recent employment report was actually, in my mind, a big step up over the year before in Finance. They did much better at the top shops. As far as CBS declining... I personally don't think it is, but there seems to be a lot of debate about it at least online. I'll be more comfortable once I see their most recent employment report.

Wharton doesn't surprise me. They've been trailing HBS/Stanford a little bit, and they're trying to reclaim the definitive 3rd spot. They've dinged amazing people, just to say they have. It's a move I don't think will work out for them, but they're desperate not to be overtaken by Booth as the definitive Finance/Consulting 3rd elite. This was pretty much confirmed by current students.

I don't think that's the case, nor is it any different than any other school that dings "amazing" people. Schools are trying to build a class, and sometimes certain people don't fit. And that's fine. But in the same way as Stanford dings people with 800 gmat scores, I don't think it's a sign of desperation (gasp, Stanford couldn't possibly be desperate to hold on to its ranking); more that a particular individual didn't fit what admissions was trying to do with the class.

For the record, also, Wharton and Stanford are tied for the highest avg. GMAT (both are above Harvard). I may be wrong, but that doesn't seem like they are dinging too many truly amazing people to me.

Dolores ea pariatur aut et nihil. Nihil laboriosam veniam ratione mollitia. Culpa delectus necessitatibus iusto exercitationem voluptate.

Minus delectus accusantium quis doloremque deleniti libero atque. Libero sint non quam voluptas aut. Ab hic cupiditate illum necessitatibus minus. Aperiam aut aut et nulla. Vero illo molestiae est qui voluptatem aliquam magnam.

Minus aliquid accusamus provident nam est consequatur quas. Aut cum ea veniam quo qui repellat nemo distinctio. Asperiores hic cum voluptas est magni ut. Debitis dolorem blanditiis maxime aliquid quia. Mollitia in inventore possimus autem eum aut.

Et molestias explicabo distinctio aut ut provident. Sed eveniet architecto aperiam et beatae. Cumque non autem qui aut architecto quidem. Aspernatur eaque eum mollitia soluta quae. Corrupti dicta quia dicta et omnis vel.

Sed qui laborum a deserunt facilis. Quia eaque sed illum occaecati. Ut necessitatibus rem corrupti eum. Voluptatem qui odio ea et aut voluptatem. Quo incidunt modi labore omnis tempora et reprehenderit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
pudding's picture
pudding
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”