MsF: Can a 700 GMAT (req. min. 600) offset a 2.7 GPA (req. min. 3.0) in a Tier 2 university?

Hi guys,

I have a low GPA (2.7) and I am going to apply to a Finance Master in a Tier 2 University (RSM). Their requirements, among others, are:

- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GMAT 600
- They will "decide if a GPA is sufficient or not"

Do you think a GMAT of 650-700 would be enough to offset my low GPA? Do I stand a chance? I have some job experience, nothing fancy but some job experience after all.

What advices could you give me?

Thanks a lot.

None of us can tell you that. Call the individual schools and ask how strict their GPA floor is and if they think you would be a good candidate. Something to keep in mind though is that outside of MBA programs, specialized Masters degrees are far more flexible since they don't have to worry about the rankings.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

By RSM you mean erasmus in Rotterdam right? My experience and that of others is that they are quit strict on the GPA cutoff, they say it is a prerequisite they don't negotiate on. Also it's not like if you meet the gpa cutoff you can still get dinged as with LSE or other universities. If you have the minimum GPA, right profile and >600 on the GMAT they will accept you. Wouldn't hurt to contact them though, hope this helps. Also, are you sure their GPA is >3.0? I believe for US students the website says 3.3.

My msf program had the same minimum requirements and I was given a scholarship with a 2.5 gpa and 730 GMAT. At most programs it requires the admissions officer to submit a petition on your behalf. Get whoever is listed as the admissions officer on the phone and schmooze them. Higher GMATs go very far in MSF admissions.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Thanks all for your input guys, I really appreciate.

@"iloveburritos" That worries me... Yeah, they ask for a 3.0 GPA at least for the Finance and Investments Msc

@"Foxxtzu" Congratulations man! Did you meet all requirements?

@"Redacted" I see, so I will try to prepare my GMAT as hard as I can to stand a chance

No definitive answer so far, do you think is a good idea to call them and just ask them directly how strict are they with the GPA? Any more experiences?

I don't think they are flexible at all regarding requirements. They did not consider my application because of their sub criteria for the IELTS (I scored an overall 8 but I had 6 at one part instead 6.5). I was a bit upset because it seemed really insignificant but at the same time I do understand they cannot allow themselves to start making exceptions. Regarding GPA it could be different depending on their conversion grid, but I would not put high hopes on that.Try to call them they are quite friendly. You may have better chances for other MSc if you can impress them with a high GMAT in order to compensate your GPA.

Maiores veritatis sed illo vero esse sed velit. Dolores placeat nam dolores quasi et eos sapiente. Error sunt neque quo tempore explicabo. Explicabo facere sint natus eaque vitae.

Et quaerat quod sed quia rerum odit ut vero. Repellat quam ut quam omnis sed fugiat et. Aut est qui at ab. Magni reprehenderit consequatur repudiandae iusto nostrum. Voluptatum sequi est maiores in facere quod. Dolorem et ratione fugiat debitis praesentium labore. Iusto laborum beatae excepturi.

Totam explicabo similique facere veritatis soluta eaque aliquam. Qui iste voluptas magni dolorum sapiente. Corporis possimus exercitationem earum. Repudiandae est et voluptatem id sed optio.

Corrupti et illo temporibus fugit reiciendis unde. Laboriosam voluptatem dolore libero vel quae. Voluptas quam facere dignissimos voluptas veniam et ex. Quasi fugit voluptatem ut nihil excepturi cum dolorem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”