Questions regarding F500 internship

Hi WSO/CFers,

Thanks for helping me in my other thread. I have some questions regarding these internships. I have applied to about 10 F500 companies so far (mostly F100). I started the day after Christmas. I don't have OCR and I will be transferring Fall 2013 so I have been applying via websites. Also many internships lead to FT offers and are usually off limit to sophomores so I don't have a lot to choose from. How many internships would you recommend I apply for? I don't expect to hear back for quite some time but at what point would you say I should start panicking if I don't hear back from anyone? Thanks for all your help!

Why don't you apply to everything that appeals to you? They only take 3 minutes. Honestly, networking > online applying anyway. We don't know your profile so it could either be a total waste of time or you could hear back from all of them. Your questions are way to subjective to make a determination.

I had two internships during college at F500 companies both gotten through networking. And now work at another Fortune 500. I'm telling you, the online applications suck.

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

yeahright:
Why don't you apply to everything that appeals to you? They only take 3 minutes. Honestly, networking > online applying anyway. We don't know your profile so it could either be a total waste of time or you could hear back from all of them. Your questions are way to subjective to make a determination.

I had two internships during college at F500 companies both gotten through networking. And now work at another Fortune 500. I'm telling you, the online applications suck.

Mind sharing what you do at the F500 you're currently working at?

Best Response
Febreeze:
yeahright:

Mind sharing what you do at the F500 you're currently working at?

Well its a BB, middle office. Others were not though, insurance and consumer product companies.

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

OP, I applied to about 60 companies online - got like 3 interviews.

Networking = better.

With networking you don't have to go through the bullshit HR interviews, and you get the benefit of the doubt, i.e. they know you have a inkling of initiative and that you can carry on a conversation for at least a half hour.

Okay, so you're interested in moving into FO, and figured this would be a great way to break in?

If both internships were technology based roles, how did you land a FT in finance? As I understood it, BO/MO only hire accounting and finance majors.

Too bad they weren't finance related, I was hoping to get some insight into the differences in work between BO/MO at a bank vs. corp. fin. in industry.

Febreeze:
Okay, so you're interested in moving into FO, and figured this would be a great way to break in?

If both internships were technology based roles, how did you land a FT in finance? As I understood it, BO/MO only hire accounting and finance majors.

Too bad they weren't finance related, I was hoping to get some insight into the differences in work between BO/MO at a bank vs. corp. fin. in industry.

In reply to your first point, basically yes.

A recruiter had an immediate need to fill for a BB and got me the interview, found me on Linkedin. Then I just sealed the deal. I disagree though with BO/MO being only accounting and finance majors.. I figured you were looked for info towards Corp Fin which is why I stated what I did.

yeahright:
I figured you were looked for info towards Corp Fin which is why I stated what I did.

Well, I have a good idea of what's involved in corp. fin. on the industry side of things. That's why I was interested in learning about the main differences between that and working CF at banks.

If the roles are essentially the same, then I guess it just depends on which industry you would rather work in.

Et fugit et deserunt modi et quod. Amet veritatis molestiae iste culpa et explicabo quibusdam cumque. Eum saepe vel error maxime. At non harum enim dolore neque.

Exercitationem et sint quidem. Rem fugiat reiciendis laboriosam voluptate. Ut non excepturi eius eaque provident est doloremque. Alias non est qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”